mtbr member
    Jul 2012

What to wear and how to wear it

OK here's the deal, I'm fairly new to riding to the point that I'm just starting to get out on the trails. So far most of my riding is on the streets and maybe some mild fire road stuff, so I haven't ever worn much for safety gear. Just an open face helmet, gloves, and glasses. (Yes I am wearing clothes).
    However I'm wanting to step up my trail riding and will also be heading to Mammoth this summer where I plan to do allot of riding.

My question is, what kind of gear/clothes should I wear?
    I have some knee/shin gaurds and elbow gaurds from when I used to ride a dirt bike so I plan to use all that. Also I will be buying a full face helmet.

So here are the more specific questions....
    Should I wear goggles or are sunglasses/ safety glasses OK inside a full face helmet?
    Thinking specifically of Mammoth, should I wear some sort of riding pants over my knee/shin gaurds or are my shorts OK?
    Do I really need a "mountain bike" specific full face helmet or is a dirt bike helmet ok?

Now my other hobby is drag racing where I choose to go overboard on my safety equipment, so I don't mind looking a little over dressed for the regular trails here or in Mammoth, I just want to be comfortable and properly protected.
    OK OK, it also wouldn't hurt to look like all the cool kids either.

thanks

mtbr member
    Depends on the type of riding. If your doing XC riding then some soft elbow pads/knee pads with your helmet and glasses.

This is what I wear when I am racking up miles. When I am doing drops I get out my hard plastic elbow guards. I don't have hard type knee protection b/c when I go down I go upper body first and roll (years of football training on how to fall I guess). If you want hard protection then by all means. Everyone falls different.

I do have a full face but remember that thing is damn hot. Even good flowing ones will get you hot and bothered in the summer. You get used to it but they are still very warm.

I just wear glasses w/ mine.. Goggles would be even hotter.. I prefer the air flow thru the front where the goggles would block a lot of air.

The amount of gear is directly proportionate to how much you can handle. I've used hard plastic knee/shin guards and they are incredibly uncomfortable for me. Again.. that is personal preference.

I don't have any Moto experience but bike knee/arm guards will have some padding so they can be worn on just skin. I usually am wearing underarmour so I don't notice them..

Another option is to throw your FF helmet on your camelbak for rides and swap out when you hit anything nasty.

I do this if I know I got some big climbs ahead. That FF will kill you up hills. I would pull mine half off just to get air on big climbs.. pretty much making it useless if I were to crash and need it. Mind you I ain't going up hills at 8mph... but still.. kinda silly.

I am a big fan of proper protection.. if not for my back protector I would be in a wheelchair after a motorcycle crash on the track.. so wear as much as you can stand given the temp/conditions.. If you ride in the winter you can really be protected haha.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Don't forget core/shoulder protection, especially if you're going to be doing some gravity riding at Mammoth. My last trip to Tahoe I thought I was well protected with an Urge Archi-Enduro FF helmet, elbow, knee and shin pads. Don't think any of those things did me any good (except the helmet) when I went OTB at 20+ mph in a rock garden at Northstar. My left shoulder took all the impact. Eight months of pain, expensive surgery and rehab later, I'm finally getting back to normal.

For my normal trail riding it's an open-face helmet, gloves and glasses, just like you. I will occasionally throw elbow and knee pads on for some trickier, fast downhill-ish trails. But when I go back to a bike park, I will be well-padded. Don't care so much about the heat when the lifts are carrying me uphill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Good answers here Im curious. What do you drag race and what do you run?