Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    361

    What are the stiffest flat shoes? Stiffer than 510's?

    Hi All - what are the stiffest flat shoes you know of?

    I like to ride flats - thats a whole story in itself because I have heard a 1000 times to get clipless.

    But anyway - i need stiffer flat shoes than the 510's I am riding with? Any suggestions?

    I have a foot pain that I think is called metatarsalgia where you get this pain in the forefoot and I think stiffer shoes would help more. I already wear a solid arch support with the current shoes

    any help is appreciated!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 'size's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,103
    which model 5.10 are you using? they vary in stiffness for sure. my shimano am40's are pretty stiff and they come with an insert you can add or remove to change the stiffness.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    278
    how old are your 5.10's?
    mine got softer after a couple of seasons...
    i looked around and couldnt find anything stiffer than the 5.10's and my new ones are substantially stiffer than the old ones...the karver's with the mud gaurd over the laces seem to be the stiffest.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    361
    thanks so far

    I have the "impact" model right now and they are a little more than a year old or maybe 1500-1700 miles of riding

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by surftime View Post
    thanks so far

    I have the "impact" model right now and they are a little more than a year old or maybe 1500-1700 miles of riding
    you might just need a new pair....did they bother you like this when they were new?
    i did an in store flex test against the shimano's and the 5'10's were noticeably stiffer.
    and perhaps a full length stiff insole with arch support like a 'super feet' or something.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    361
    ya ill check into new shoes and somehow getting them stiffer. A stiff full length insert might be enough - i bet Spech makes one.

    the problem came up after picking up running in addition to riding and since has been hard to get rid of though its not really that bad now - i just want to get rid of it totally

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. 68 Hundred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by surftime View Post
    ya ill check into new shoes and somehow getting them stiffer. A stiff full length insert might be enough - i bet Spech makes one.

    the problem came up after picking up running in addition to riding and since has been hard to get rid of though its not really that bad now - i just want to get rid of it totally
    I run and ride w/ Impact's as well. Finally starting to get a handle on some ongoing foot issues (metatarsal tendon issues on the left foot from fore-foot striking; plantar issue on the right foot from high milage on angled roads while heel striking). Getting better with mid-foot striking and foot massage. I roll my bare feet on a baseball to work out the sore spots. Doing this will probably hurt A LOT at first. Do 3 days on, rest 2 days, 3 days of massage, rest 2, etc. If you're having an issue similar to mine, it will get better (even though it hurts a lot at first).

    active dot com had the foot care article I got my information from.

    Steve
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Occupation: Disposable gene transfer machine

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,204
    wooden clogs?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    wooden clogs?
    they would be stiff....

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    373
    +1 on new 5.10's. They do soften up over time.

    Also, don't forget about your pedals, as larger pedals offer more support than smaller ones. I've been riding Spank Spike pedals for about a month now, and the supersized platform feels great underfoot.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    361
    ill check it out, i emailed 510 to ask them but like most manufacturers have not gotten a response yet

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by surftime View Post
    ya ill check into new shoes and somehow getting them stiffer. A stiff full length insert might be enough - i bet Spech makes one.

    the problem came up after picking up running in addition to riding and since has been hard to get rid of though its not really that bad now - i just want to get rid of it totally
    superfeet make some good stiff insoles...

    Superfeet Premium Insoles : Green : Insoles for all of your footwear and activities. Skiing, hiking, running, soccer and work.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    +1 on new 5.10's. They do soften up over time.

    Also, don't forget about your pedals, as larger pedals offer more support than smaller ones. I've been riding Spank Spike pedals for about a month now, and the supersized platform feels great underfoot.
    +1 on the big platforms... i rde the dmr vaults and they have a huge 115m squared platform.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    98
    Carbon fiber insoles. I put them in a pair of Bogs for snow/ice riding. This is a wholesaler site, but most orthotics shops have access to them and will cut them to size...

    Atlas International Product Catalog

    Not saying you need these shoes for your application, but here are the Bogs I use for winter riding...

    Jamison - 52406 - Bogs Footwear - The Official Website

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    330
    Maybe you could get crazy and get a SPD compatiable flat shoe, it would seem they would be the stiffest thing you could get. 5.10's have Hellcats and Maltese Falcons, Shimano's AM45 also. Each of these shoes should have very rigid midsoles. The older Shimano MP-66's soles are a foam insole, plastic midsole, and rubber outsole. I can feel the pedals pretty well through mine I just wish I didn't pull the SPD cover off, its a one time deal. Just an idea to consider.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,523
    you say your problem first appeard after you took up running,,, are you wearing a decent running shoe when you go out running,
    everyone has differant requirements from a shoe, as not all feet are the same, ideally you should see a shoe fitting expert to asses your individual needs,
    se info below.
    Choosing a Shoe: The Very Basics - Shoes - Runner's World

    Guide to Choosing the Best Running Shoes for you

    this info should give you a rough idea of what i am refaring to,,,, hopefully this will help to adress your problem, good luck, hope you get it sorted.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    361
    thanks, yes i have good shoes and arch supports from a running only store that are made for my style and stride. What happened was during the summer i was riding, running barefoot in sand, surfing and skateboarding -it was like going 0-60 with my feet and thats what got it all started

    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    you say your problem first appeard after you took up running,,, are you wearing a decent running shoe when you go out running,
    everyone has differant requirements from a shoe, as not all feet are the same, ideally you should see a shoe fitting expert to asses your individual needs,
    se info below.
    Choosing a Shoe: The Very Basics - Shoes - Runner's World

    Guide to Choosing the Best Running Shoes for you

    this info should give you a rough idea of what i am refaring to,,,, hopefully this will help to adress your problem, good luck, hope you get it sorted.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    200
    The 5.10 chase is quite a bit stiffer than the freeriders and line kings I have had in the past. They are much lighter than my impacts as well. For DH and riding in nasty conditions, I go with the impacts every time, but if I was going out on a long pedal and ultimate grip wasn't my biggest priority, the chase does great. If you put some green superfeet or a carbon insole in them, you would have a full on clipless stiff shoe. FWIW I wear a 10 in the impact, and a 10.5 in the chase. And yes, over the past few seasons I have had a pair of freeriders, line kings, impacts, and chases, so i have a perspective of the whole line.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    361
    Thanks for the advice - i was looking for something a little lighter so I will check that model out with a set of insoles i should be good!

    Quote Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
    The 5.10 chase is quite a bit stiffer than the freeriders and line kings I have had in the past. They are much lighter than my impacts as well. For DH and riding in nasty conditions, I go with the impacts every time, but if I was going out on a long pedal and ultimate grip wasn't my biggest priority, the chase does great. If you put some green superfeet or a carbon insole in them, you would have a full on clipless stiff shoe. FWIW I wear a 10 in the impact, and a 10.5 in the chase. And yes, over the past few seasons I have had a pair of freeriders, line kings, impacts, and chases, so i have a perspective of the whole line.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: walkertalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Maybe you could get crazy and get a SPD compatiable flat shoe, it would seem they would be the stiffest thing you could get. 5.10's have Hellcats and Maltese Falcons, Shimano's AM45 also. Each of these shoes should have very rigid midsoles. The older Shimano MP-66's soles are a foam insole, plastic midsole, and rubber outsole. I can feel the pedals pretty well through mine I just wish I didn't pull the SPD cover off, its a one time deal. Just an idea to consider.
    If you still have the inserts you could glue them back in with silicone glue or bathroom sealer. Or if you have ditched them you could fill the whole up with the said silcone. You can get it in any colur if you search.
    Last edited by walkertalker; 01-30-2012 at 03:56 AM.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: walkertalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    80

Similar Threads

  1. Big feet, need shoes
    By Ultra Magnus in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-25-2012, 07:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •