mtbr member
    Sep 2005

What shoes should I get?

I think I am ready for a new pair of shoes.

I have a pair of Sidi Dom 5s that are about 8 years old or so. They are pretty chewed up on the bottom and I'm walking on the cleats. Velco went bad and spent like 2 hours redoing it so that is holding up OK. Will keep em as a back up.

Anyway, onto what shoes to get.

I like a racy style shoe a la Sidi. I was thinking about another pair of Sidi's but those bottoms get all tore up in the desert. Plus they are ripoff pricey, outside of fleabay.

Anybody know anything about the Shimano SH-M240L Mountain Bike Shoe. It's 184 on fleabay, not cheap, but not outrageous either.

What are my other options for a nice high end racey shoe that is not obnoxiously priced?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've really liked the specialized pro shoes. They fit me better than any pair I've ever tried.

Sidi Spider's. A friend of mine has them and loves them. They're price mother ****ers though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm due as well. However, I for sure don't wanna spend lots. Under $100 fer me.
    Recommendations? ?

Also, I've been wearing cheaper addias with not so ridged souls. On longer rides my toes go numb. This happened before I went clipless a few years back too. Is that because I don't have ridged souls?
    Are ridged souls the only way to go?
    I don't do tons of hike-a-bike but there are times. That's why I went with less ridged shoes.

mtbr member
    I really like my Shimano M-161G's. At $150 they aren't ridiculously priced and are nice and stiff. The sole is rubber not plastic like the Sidi's so they are much more stable in hike a bike situations. I own Sidi Dom 5's and feel that the Shimano's fit and finish are more durable. The Shimano's are definitely heavier though. The Sidi's are a bit narrower and their ratchet strap offers more adjustability.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by givati View Post
    I'm due as well. However, I for sure don't wanna spend lots. Under $100 fer me.
    Recommendations? ?

Also, I've been wearing cheaper addias with not so ridged souls. On longer rides my toes go numb. This happened before I went clipless a few years back too. Is that because I don't have ridged souls?
    Are ridged souls the only way to go?
    I don't do tons of hike-a-bike but there are times. That's why I went with less ridged shoes.

Look around here for shoes.

Shoes/Mountain at Price Point

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    +1 for Specialized shoes. The body geometry thing works wonders for my feet.

OP, why not just get Sidi to repair the shoes? You could probably get new treads for the bottom, I believe a lot of that stuff bolts in and out.

mtbr member
    I managed to pick up the Sidi Spiders (used) for a third of MSRP. But I've also gone through a set of Spider soles and am mostly through a set of Dragon Soles in less than a year and a half. The Spider's have the best fit and uppers of any shoe I've ever owned but I didn't have the coin to drop $80 for another set of Dragon Soles.
    Found a pair of new Pearl Izumi elements on ebay for $30 including S&H. Great shoes for the rocky hike-a-bike of AZ.
    If you have time to track some shoes on ebay you can definitely score a great deal.
    Last edited by idaz; 01-23-2012 at 09:48 AM.

backwoods and backwards
    Get a right one and a left one.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Check out the Garneau T-Flex 300. They are custom-moldable using your home oven. Some other nice touches included both winter and summer inserts and cooling vents that can be closed with a thin carbon cover.

I'm a long-time SIDI user but was put off by the pricing this time around.

David

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ok. Now I'm serious. I stripped out a mount hole yesterday when replacing a cleat. And in the process of fixing realized my shoes are junk. Their addias.
    so. I'd like to stay under $125. I don't race but I do ride 2000+ mi a year. Do some hike-a-bike but not tons. I'm not to concerned about weight cause I've got plenty to loose on my body.

mtbr member
    How stiff should the soles be?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamfour View Post
    How stiff should the soles be?
    As stiff as possible.

mtbr member
    I rode Sidi's for years and went to Northwave Razors. They have an extremely stiff sole and are the most comfortable shoe I personally have ever worn.