mtbr member
    Apr 2005

What shoes with eggbeater SL's?

Im thinking about getting the eggbeaters, but im afraid it will put too much pressure on one point. What shoes have a stiff enough sole to spread out the pressure? Im deciding between the SL's or shimano M545's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    go with the candies and then any shoe should work
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

Down South Yooper

Time

I just got a pair of Candy SL's, been using them with some cheap Time Shoes that I got on closeout (how I buy most shoes). Been very happy with them. Funny thing is, they're better with the candy's than they were with the Time ATAC pedals. Go figure.

Plum

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by AK4900PA
    Im thinking about getting the eggbeaters, but im afraid it will put too much pressure on one point. What shoes have a stiff enough sole to spread out the pressure? Im deciding between the SL's or shimano M545's.
    Eggbeaters have a bit of a reputation for not having bulletproof reliabilty. I did a rebuild on a set once, to find that it had a plastic sleeved bearign thing, and the smallest of little clips holding the pedal body on the spindle...very scary.

That being said, I've ridden Egg's as a Clyd since they were introduced without any issue.

RE: Shoes: in general, regardless of pedal, just find something with adequate stiffness in the soul...

While people get riled up about how big the platform is, for most pedals, it's only the cleat that is contacting anyway, despite the larger platform...so when clipped in, there's no difference....but when not clipped in (starting/stoping/etc) there is a larger contact area...
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    I have the Cannondale Roam shoes with both the SL's and Mallets (They have the larger size that fits my 14's). No problem with hotspots and they are not the true stiff sole of a road shoe, I rode my road bike 45 miles this weekend, and didn't have a problem. Have had the Mallets on for 4 months now doing serious riding every weekend (downhill at Bootleg Canyon and Red Rock), and no durability issues, and I started out at 360, down to 300 and dropping.

mtbr member

Sidi

I have been riding the egg's for 3 season's now with no issues what so ever. I have also been running them with sidi dominator's. sidi's are more expensive but they are well worth it. (WELL WORTH IT) they are still the most comfortable shoe i have ever worn (and i have tried a lot) and i don't notice anything negatve--all good! everyone i ride with has heard me rave about them and now after all these years there is only one guy without them, and he is ready to switch as soon as he get's the $$$. They will work great with the egg's (everyone i ride with uses them as well), very comfy, if you get them soaked during a water crossing--they feel dry within 30 seconds, and so on!

Spend the extra $$ and get them, you won't be dissapointed. You can usually find last years model a little cheaper as well on line. Good Luck
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I have the Northwave Hydrogen as I posted in the size 15 post. I also ride Mallets with no problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I got a pair of candy sl's and a pair of answer speeder shoes, both brand new, off of ebay. Couldn't beat the price. Only $71 for both the shoes and pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I place my 230lbs on Aswer Impact shoes into the SL's. No problems, no flexing. www.nashbar.com had a special for the impact shoes and the SL's for around 140.

Fashionably functional...
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Danny-O
    I place my 230lbs on Aswer Impact shoes into the SL's. No problems, no flexing. www.nashbar.com had a special for the impact shoes and the SL's for around 140.
    I jumped on that deal. How do you find the shoes so far? My feeling that it's a bit of a complicated shoe but I'm still breaking them in.

willtsmith_nwi

Not true ...

Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    Eggbeaters have a bit of a reputation for not having bulletproof reliabilty. I did a rebuild on a set once, to find that it had a plastic sleeved bearign thing, and the smallest of little clips holding the pedal body on the spindle...very scary.

That being said, I've ridden Egg's as a Clyd since they were introduced without any issue.

RE: Shoes: in general, regardless of pedal, just find something with adequate stiffness in the soul...

While people get riled up about how big the platform is, for most pedals, it's only the cleat that is contacting anyway, despite the larger platform...so when clipped in, there's no difference....but when not clipped in (starting/stoping/etc) there is a larger contact area...
    I just rebuilt an egg-beater. The new ones are different. There is a lock nut on the end that pushes against the bearing. The BEARING holds the pedal mechanism in place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    They were a pain getting in and out of but what i did was removed the laces. Now i just slipp into them and fasten the heck out of the three velcro straps and I all goood! Excelent shoe IMO.

mtbr member
    I'm new to it all but have been using 661 Launch shoes with my eggbeaters and they've been great so far. Bonus is they look cool too. I just wish the cleat could be further down toward my toes but it appears they all have the same two positions.