Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SSped
    Jan 2004

What shoes do you wear?

What shoes and Why do you like them? or hate them.

I have been wearing shimano M220 and the newest ones and just have not found the fit to be accomodating. I love the stiff soles but the carbon wears down when useing egg beaters.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Sidi Rocks!

i am going on my 4th season with my Sidi Dominators. they have put up with hardcore SS riding & racing, 24 hour racing, long rides on killer singletrack and even trail maintanence sessions (not kind at all). they just keep on keepin on. the velcro is getting a bit worn but has never slipped. i also use Sidi shoes on the road and love the fit. they actually form to the shape of your foot and get better over time. i suppose if you can forget about your shoes/feet while riding, then they are doing exactly the right thing.

i recently won some of the new Pearl Izumi Vipers with the crazy kevlar "string" that runs through the shoe and is controlled by one dial. they are really cool and techno, stiff as hell with the carbon sole, but are more difficult to hike in when off the bike in a tough spot. not quite as comfy as the Dominators. i think i will use them for shorter races and stuff.

btw, i used Time Atacs and now use Candy SL's.
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member

Diadora

"Kava" Got them on closeout. Wound up with two pair, but like it that way (another story). Two buckles and one vecro. About 4 years on them. One pair has the toe cleats attached, the other doesn't. I use the cleated pair for dirt and the other for road riding. BUT I run the same pedals on all my bikes, so each shoe goes either way if necessary.

The "road" pair (they're moutain soled) will probably last me another 10 years easy. The dirt pair are wearing, but will go another couple of years easy.

Of course, they don't make 'em anymore. But I'll probably go Diadora next time.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields

mtbr member

Answer

I like Answers speedster or palisades for the more flexable soles so I can explore the very technical on foot and for those hills that are just too much for me. When I tried the ultra stiff racing type soles they were hard to hike in and kind of dangerous on rocks; sort of like walking on ice. But then again I'm slow and a stiffer shoe aint gonna change that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    sidi dom 5 lorica baby all the way!!! back in black
    Keep the mind suspended and the wheels firmly connected to one another via tubes and a nice bearing unit and you will have fun. Again, your mind is like a television set...if you are not having fun, try changing the channel(attitude) rather than the entire TVset. This will add to your bag O' Trix for life....(somebody said this in a thread, it really made me think...thanks for the inspiration)

FIFI!
    skate shoes.

mtbr member

Northwave

I wear Northwave, do not know the model - it has a dial and 2 velcros. The best fit - like a glove. Stiff. No problems after a year of hard riding.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I use 7-8 different pairs:
    • Pearl Izumi Vagabond (2 pair)
    • adidas 3/4 top boot type I can not remember the model name of
    • Lake MZ 300 winter
    • Lake MX 160 (Vibram sole is great off the bike)
    • adidas XC shoes (two different models name unknown)
    • Sidi Dominator

and a few more. Each shoe has its place.
    All are used with Eggbeaters and/or Malletts.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Hit The Road Cyclery
    Carnac Sirius, but I'm not all that thrilled with them. The soles are too soft, which is fine for walking, but with my wide feet and Egg Beaters they tend to roll off to the side of the pedals. If I could get any shoes out there, I'd probably order a custom sized set of Rocket 7's, but since I don't have $700 lying around I'll just stick with the ones I have for now.

I've also worn shoes from Sidi, Gaerne, and Shimano, none of which were perfect (although the Dom II's were about as close as they get).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I wear walking boots. No intention of ever fastening myself to a bike.
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

what a joke

Sidi doms

5 years on my first pair, they probably have another year or so in them. Now I have an 05 pair. They feel just as good spinning on the gearie or mashing on the SS.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Diadora Jalapenos, confi and good priced shoe, also have a pair of Sidi SRS that I don't use anymore because they are too tight on my feet and the soles don't last.

The Top Cap Guy
    I have a few pairs - actually I used to go through shoes a pair a year and now thatI have more than 1 pair - I've been running about 3 years on them now... they just seem to hold up better when you can rotate them....

Northwaves, Nikes, Specialized, 661 - I'm suprised when I looked I can't find any names on them... what's up with that....lol

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member
    I have some specialized sport MTB. THe best I could find for my price range (~$80). They slip a bit on the heel when off the bike, fit fine when on. I have a runners foot, wide across the toes, skinny heel, so I have a real hard time finding sports shoes that fit me. I have always worn Nike running shoes, but I didn't see a wide selection of Nike shoes, at least not ones I could afford.
    "Kurt is up in heaven now."

RIP Vonnegut

mtbr member
    I use the Lake MX 165. Just got them and love them already. I agree with Shiggy that the vibram sole is great!!

Before these I had a pair of Answer shoes that I have used for the last 10 years. Those were good too but more race style and not as good for walking.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by SSped

I have been wearing shimano M220 and the newest ones and just have not found the fit to be accomodating. I love the stiff soles but the carbon wears down when useing egg beaters.
    I've found that my feet love the Carnac. They are very comfortable. However, on all of them the Velcro eventually delaminated from the straps. I don't know if they still make a model that has a lot of neoprene-ish material at the top, but that takes a while to dry.

I've purchased every pair on blowout somewhere. The last three I've owned were $50 or less (but retail for $150 or more) on those Performance stores' purge tables.

I've used Sidi Dominators for a long time and they are runner up. More durable than the Carnacs, but not as comfortable to me. I also hate how the click-buckles (rarely) jam up with little rocks and pebbles, making it extremely difficult to remove the shoes. Finally, the tread material they use must have the lowest coefficient of friction when walking on moist rocks. It's like walking on ice.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by SSped

Specialized ProCompSomethingOrOthers. I like the Body Geometry fit with the ample toebox. The uppers are supple. The ratchet system gets sticky when dirty though.

I have Shimanos but I don't like the stiffness of the uppers.

I have Sidi Dominator II Mega and like the smooth interior surfaces, but I don't like the slippery plastic sole. Also, the heel outsole (the weightbearing surface, i.e., lugs) is narrow and predisposed me to twisting my ankle. I fell four times before I figured that one out. Luckily i didn't suffer any lasting inversion injury.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by datako
    I wear walking boots. No intention of ever fastening myself to a bike.
    Why not? You fasten your shoes to your feet don't you, even more securely than a clipless pedal.
    Walking boots are usually heavier than a shoe needs to be for riding.

I use Sidi Dom's....nothing fits better. I wish they were stiffer, but they feel so good for so long, it's worth it.
    Size 50 baby!

King Pin

Smile Chiming in.

For me, it's Specialized or nothin'.

I have a pair of Sidi roadie shoes that fit "OK"....but my Specialized "sport" or "comp" mtb. shoes fit ME like the proverbial glove.

"Sports" (3 pair) used to be five bucks a pair at specialized.com

"Comps" I shelled out fifteen.

Wishing I could find some more! Sh*tmano's have never fit my big ol' narrow size 14 or 15.

Not the stiffest shoes is the camp, but I'll still spank ya.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    For me, it's Specialized or nothin'.
    I used to agree. The Body Geometry shoe was downright dreamy...but then, 2004 came and the new line of shoes for that year no longer fit me.
    The sz 48 in 03 fit...in 04...nope....i will add that the Specialized shoes have half the use life of the Sidi's....after about 9 months the Specy's start to fall apart, velcro gets loose, etc.... My Sidi's are just now starting to disintegrate. I'm wearing through the sole's...the uppers are solid and the buckles/velcro still perform flawlessly...nice!

King Pin
    Amen brother!

Still looking for the "right" pair of Sidi's that'll make me happy. Not willing to shell out a coupla hundred bucks to "try 'em" though....... seems as though forty eights are too little and forty nines are way too big....I dunno.

I actually regularly use my Sidi roadie shoes and an old pair of them Sidi "winter boot" thingies.

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    I used to agree. The Body Geometry shoe was downright dreamy...but then, 2004 came and the new line of shoes for that year no longer fit me.
    The sz 48 in 03 fit...in 04...nope....i will add that the Specialized shoes have half the use life of the Sidi's....after about 9 months the Specy's start to fall apart, velcro gets loose, etc.... My Sidi's are just now starting to disintegrate. I'm wearing through the sole's...the uppers are solid and the buckles/velcro still perform flawlessly...nice!

Where's Toto?
    I'm on my second pair of Sidi Dominators (first pair lasted 6+ years). I would recommend them to anyone. Also ride Sidi road shoes.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I have two identical pairs of Cannondale shoes (one pair for each set of cleats, SPD and Eggbeaters). I think they were called 'Clogs' for some reason, but that's hardly accurate since there's definitely a heel cup to the shoe (riding in real cleated clogs would be interesting, no?) No laces, no straps, they're brilliant. Best part about them is that if you didn't look at the sole to see the cleat, you'd never know they were bike shoes.

brother on a mission
    Pearl Izumi vagabonds for me.

try driving your car less
    winter: lake MXZ300. so warm and nice

summer: sidi dom 4. so durable and high performance yet comfy. wore them for the first time this year yesterday!

but you just have to try them on. no matter the shoe, if it doesnt fit, it sucks.
    Only boring people get bored.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast