mtbr member

what shoes for DH...went to Mountain Creek

Sup guys, Im semi-new to the world of DH. I just got back from my second visit to Mountain Creek here in NJ...Represent! I rented the Yakuza again, nice frame BAD fork. This time at MTC i went on some of the double black diamonds like ripper, BMW, Exodus love the log rides and skinnies! When going down these crazy rock gardens, i had a hard time keeping my feet from slipping on the pedals. I wore Nike running shoes. Should i go for the flat soled shoes? Where can i get some? Was it just the pedals on the rental? what are some good DH pedals.
    Another thing, my hands and fingers took a major beating. It was extremely painful to uncurl my fingers when i went back down to the lift. Is this because of bad gloves, bad fork? the fork is a triple crown manitou stance, and i noticed it hardly moved and had terrible brake jack.

thanks to all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wanna talk to Samson!
    5.10 impacts. They are ugly though so it is required that you spray paint them saftey orange.
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    this is all you'll ever need. they take alittle getting use to cause the work so well.
    http://go-ride.com/prod_armor_fiveten.html

user-created
    I get whatever skateshoes are on sale for $20 at Payless. That way I don't feel so bad when my pedals wear through the soles in three months.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Another vote for 5.10's

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    How long does the sole last on the 5 10's? Is it a shoe that will last me years on end or wear through in 6 months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggzoi
    How long does the sole last on the 5 10's? Is it a shoe that will last me years on end or wear through in 6 months.
    I wear mine ONLY when riding. So, no, you can't wear them to the movies or the mall. But yes, they should last for years (riding seasons)

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by M1_joel
    ...So, no, you can't wear them to the movies or the mall..........
    don't know why anyone would want to wear those ugly things to the mall........

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    food court druids wear big black ugly shoes to the mall. the 5.10's are good for power magic stance and slaying dragons.
    Last edited by sriracha; 09-09-2005 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    Groms

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    Another thing, my hands and fingers took a major beating. It was extremely painful to uncurl my fingers when i went back down to the lift. Is this because of bad gloves, bad fork? the fork is a triple crown manitou stance, and i noticed it hardly moved and had terrible brake jack.

same
    i need some pointers too when i do DH, hurts sooo badly

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by themarsvolta55
    Probably bad brakes is more like it. Also, loosen up. You don't need a death grip on the bar.

BTW forks don't brake jack.

mtbr member
    same
    maybe a combination of brakes who's lever comes too far back to the handlebar during braking and lack raw stopping power, maybe the angle of the levers are facing too far down toward the ground - move the lever so they face more forward towards the horizon.
    When your back off the back of the bike and your arms are stretched forward, you dont want to have to wrap your hands around the bar and DOWN to the levers.

Having my brakes setup so that the pads fully engage the rotor with only having the brake lever moving about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch gives me plenty of leverage to brings things under control at the last minute without having to constantly use the brake to monitor speed THUS saving your arms and hands.

Cant say enough about having seriously powerful brakes.

mtbr member
    yea i guees i was holding my brakes alot to slow myself down. Still getting used to how fast you can really go on a DH trail. What if you exercise your hands with one of those stress balls, to strengthen your muscles, would that help...

Those shoes sound popular, ill look into them.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

same
    Arm pump (which contributes to hand cramping) is caused by many, many things. Gloves, grip choice, bar rise/bend/sweep/height, brake lever setup, stem length, fork performance, body position, and muscle structure all contribute. Having the most power from your brakes will help, but so will braking less. Generally speaking, using smaller grips and thinner gloves will help as well. If you're new to the world of DH, the problem will go away as your muscles develop and adapt to the specific demands that riding downhill over rough terrain provides. The Kumichos we sold were a bit oversprung in the fork, so going to a softer set of springs will help some, but will contribute to more brake dive. One of the best combos we have found for most riders, in terms of bar/grip/glove choice, is to go with ODI Ruffians and Troy Lee air gloves, as they are both very thin (the more material between your hand and the bar, the more exertion you have to put out to keep your grip). I know it sounds backwards to have a smaller diameter grip and less padding in the gloves to cut down on getting your hands punished, but think about it in extremes: what's easier to hold onto out of a pencil and a basketball? Answer Protaper and Easton EA70 bars both offer very comfortable bend and sweep numbers to help with arm pump as well.
    [SIZE=2]
    www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    get some cheap vans...my friend got some to replace his worn lakes. he loves them and they were only like $30

Glad to Be Alive
    I just wear Nike High top basketball shoes and they grip hella hard and good....sometimes it is hard to get your foot off
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

always learning
    The Vans outlet not too far from me is always running some deals; 2 pairs for $40 on discontinued styles.

Pain Is A State Of Mind
    K-SWISS after 8 months of freeride
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Opportunity awaits those that are worthy....
    Photamagrapher---http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=244688

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Try taping your wrists before you ride. Use a good quality medical tapeand just wrap your wrist right at the joint. Some guys also wrap in between their thumb and index finger but this didnt work so well for me. Fox Static gloves have a wrap-around velcro that acts in the same manner as wrist tape, and I'm gonna try those this weekend because taping just takes 10 minutes more than I wanna spend. Good luck

I like air!
    Another vote for 5.10's. They are almost too sticky but they are built really strong. They are almost like a boot construction (even the low tops). I have the whole season of not missing one weekend at mt.creek or pkill and I've washed them twice so far. If you had really grippy pedals that used allen key spikes then I would recommend Vans that had diamond pattern treads. But since you mentioned you were using rentals I'm sure the pedals are beat to hell and the extra traction would help.

also, since your renting the only 2 variables you can control arm pump with is your grip and your gloves. If you have bigger hands then try thicker gloves and vise versa. If you ride Alpine all day then that's one of the biggest problems right there. I can ride Exodus, BMW and Ripper all day without a problem and my arms will hurt from one ride down Alpine. It's all those bumps in the burms that kill you.
    Last edited by milhouse; 09-12-2005 at 12:38 PM.