mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New question here. What safety gear to wear when riding DH?

Me and a friend are starting to ride DH, but were unsure of what gear we should wear. Were far from pro, but I'v ridden bikes my whole life and my friend's just starting.

Biggest thing is, were riding quite a distance from home, so safety is a concern.

Were comfortable to spend ~$350 or so on gear, but it could be more if needed.

Main question is the Full Body Torso protection, is it worth it or is it to bulky? I'd need to fit it in a backback too. Obviously i'd throw a jersey over the top of it.
    Brand-X X Suit Adult - Black | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I'm pretty certain on Full Face/Knee/Shin/Gloves but i'm unsure on what to do with the top of my body, i'd like to protect my elbows and arms too.

What are wrist guards like, Do they restrict alot of movement? Most of my friends have broken wrists.
    661 Wrist Wrap Pro 2013 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Thanks

P.S: I understand that riding DH comes hand in hand with injures but i'd like to minimize the risk since we are riding quite from from home.

mtbr member
    As far as upper body protection goes Iv'e been really happy with my Spine VPD 2.0 Jacket - POC Sports Its pretty expensive but it can usually be had for far less than the site states. I think I paid about 250$ for mine this time last year. I really only use it for lift access though, since its pretty heavy and hot. Superb protection though! I've taken a few nasty crashes into rock gardens and have been just fine thankfully. Fitting it in a backpack might be tough unless you pull the spine protector out though. Its pretty damn big. There are a ton more on the market. I'd certainly recommend upper body armor .