Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

what is the reason for no Catlike helmets in USA?

So I think the Catlike Whisper Plus helmet is so cool looking. What is the reason they are not sold in the USA? I have heard that they don't meet US safety standards. Is this because they just haven't gone through the necessary hoops to meet them and they don't feel like investing in it? Or is it that they have tried and failed. Because I find it hard to believe that they can be safe enough for several pro teams and all of Europe, but not for us here in the USA.

Also, lets say I manage to get a hold of one through a UK website. Can I be DQ'd from a race by showing up in one?

EDIT: found this at http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=2191 when searching roadbikereview. Still looking for other first hand knowledge if anyone has any.
    Important information for customers outside of the European Union.

All Catlike Helmets conform to the European standard CE EN1078. If you intend to use the helmet outside of the EU, Catlike, Nemesis GB and Prendas Ciclismo will not be held responsible for any legal actions or any other forms of actions that may occur.

If you do intend on riding in events in the USA, it is interesting to note that Cycling USA does allow the of CE EN1078 helmets. No doubt you all will have seen the Cervélo TestTeam and/or the Euskaltel/Euskadi team riding Whisper Plus helmets in the 2009 Tour Down Under, Tour of Qatar and Tour of California without issue.
    EDIT Again: more info from USA Cycling. Looks like they are perfectly legal now and have been since March 3, 2006. However, starting January 1, 2010 they will not be......
    http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=2109
    USA Cycling has recently added the European helmet standard to its list of approved standards for legal bicycle racing helmets. In 1986, USA Cycling became the first cycling federation to make hard shell helmets required for all bicycle races. At that time we acknowledged numerous government agencies, such as SNELL, ANSI, and the US CPSC. In the last few years, the UCI has made hard shell helmets mandatory for all races, and a new standard has recently appeared on the market, the European Committee for Standardization. Helmets approved by the European Committee will carry stickers (ECS or CE EN1078) similarly to the stickers found in all American-made helmets.

Here is the text of the revised policy I concerning helmets:

At all times when participating in or preparing for an event held under a USA Cycling permit, including club rides, all licensees who are mounted on a bicycle must wear a securely fastened helmet that meets either the US DOT helmet standards or one of the following standards:
    (1) American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standard Z90.4;
    (2) Snell Memorial Foundation Standard "B" or "N" series;
    (3) American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standard F-1447.
    (4) Canadian Standards Association (CSA) standard CAN/CSA-D113.2-M;
    (5) U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standard for bicycle helmets;
    (6) European Committee for Standardization (CE EN1078) standard for bicycle helmets

Riders shall show documentary proof of this, such as a manufacturer's label, upon request by event officials. Beginning January 1, 2010, only the DOT and CPSC helmet standards will be recognized.
    This is only a minor change in protocol. You as officials may request to check stickers if you are not sure about a helmet, or for any other reason for that matter. Beware that not all helmets made in Europe are legal helmets with the correct stickers.
    I had a rider show up at a race with a questionable helmet. I asked to see the sticker and he showed it to me saying it was a legal helmet but unfortunately it was made in Italy and the sticker was in Italian and he was not sure what it said. I told him I did read Italian and what it said was this, “this helmet has not been tested in any laboratory and cannot be considered safe for bicycle racing”. The moral is that just because a helmet has a sticker does not mean it is legal. Look for the designation CEN on the euro helmets.
    Last edited by ewarnerusa; 09-21-2009 at 10:38 AM.

ups and downs
    My hunch would be that no distributor wants to take on the liability for dealing with a line of Spanish built helmets when there's so many helmet options in the USA. There's likely not enough money in it when competing with Bell/Giro. They need enough margin to cover the crash replacement to compete with Bell and they likely need to provide a zillion helmets for Snell/ANSI/CPSC testing.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    We carry them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlar
    We carry them.
    I'm trying to navigate the site found in your sig and can't find Catlike helmets?

And another follow up. I emailed the Tech Director at USA cycling and he confirmed that that starting next year European certified helmets will NOT be allowed in domestic races. They will be allowed at UCI calendar races in the USA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa
    I'm trying to navigate the site found in your sig and can't find Catlike helmets?

And another follow up. I emailed the Tech Director at USA cycling and he confirmed that that starting next year European certified helmets will NOT be allowed in domestic races. They will be allowed at UCI calendar races in the USA.
    We're not an online dealer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I didn't even know what a catlike helmet meant until I looked at the picture. Seeing it, however, I know that I've seen one rider at races wearing that style of helmet. It was very recognizable and it looked to me like a design for better ventilation/cooling. The racer I've seen wearing one has some pro road team design.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorback
    I didn't even know what a catlike helmet meant until I looked at the picture. Seeing it, however, I know that I've seen one rider at races wearing that style of helmet. It was very recognizable and it looked to me like a design for better ventilation/cooling. The racer I've seen wearing one has some pro road team design.
    Absalon wore one, but I see he has a new helmet sponsor now.

ups and downs
    The Massi team still uses them.

09madrid12.JPG

mtbr member
    ewarnerusa: I emailed the Tech Director at USA cycling and he confirmed that that starting next year European certified helmets will NOT be allowed in domestic races.

It is hard to believe that they check helmets in races. But I really don't see anything special about the Catlike helmets.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    ewarnerusa: I emailed the Tech Director at USA cycling and he confirmed that that starting next year European certified helmets will NOT be allowed in domestic races.

It is hard to believe that they check helmets in races. But I really don't see anything special about the Catlike helmets.
    As Gatorback mentioned, they are very easy to spot and I know at least one of our state's directors would take note. They just look stylish and unique, that's what's special about them.

mtbr member
    Americans aren't as open to certain things as europeans. I suspect that that design would be a little too outlandish for your average rider looking for a decent helmet. The other consideration is the sheer cost of testing for safety certifications. In the motorsports world, this is why there is much debate over fia/sfi regulations, as the generally have the same standards, but it is prohibitively expensive to carry a sticker for both.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill

09madrid12.JPG
    I don't like Specialized helmets, and lazer wont fit my longish hair. I love catlike. I've gone through 2 Shield2's already, and am waiting for a Whisper for next month for when I get back on the bike.

Nervous Descender

09madrid12.JPG
    Honeycomb's big- yeah, yeah, yeah! It's not small- no, no, no!
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

ups and downs
    Maybe the other reason is that they're unbelievably expensive. My LBS has the Catlike Whisper Plus on sale for $220, list is $360.

mtbr member
    Maybe the other reason is that they're unbelievably expensive. My LBS has the Catlike Whisper Plus on sale for $220, list is $360.
    The one I found on UK website was about $230 US. I ended up not buying it because I didn't want to drop that much cash and not get the benefits of a crash replacement or anything like that. Plus the whole thing where I could potentially get flak for wearing it at a race. I still think they look cool, though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, they went up in price considerably compared to two years ago.

bicycle bicycle bicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack Blues
    Honeycomb's big- yeah, yeah, yeah! It's not small- no, no, no!
    under rated line

Peace

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlar
    We carry them.

What a terrible website for a store. You cant find anything......

I've been to the store years ago and they have a bad rep for way$$$ jacked prices compared to the other local stores.

gone for a bike ride
    stumbled across this link the other day while searching for a 2010 Catlike Whisper Plus stateside

http://www.serotta.com/news-events/21/details/

...really expensive though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by culturesponge
    stumbled across this link the other day while searching for a 2010 Catlike Whisper Plus stateside

http://www.serotta.com/news-events/21/details/

...really expensive though
    Nice. The link says they will be CPSC certified and therefore legit. Too bad they are too expensive.
    Also, look at this link and page down to Helmets --> http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=4727

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Catlikes are so two years ago.

mtbr member
    I think they are ugly, but then again most cycling uniforms are ugly. MTB team uniforms are more 'tame' than roadies. With that said, being paid to ride a bike for a living, I'd wear a pink thong and a cat helmet every day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwrong666
    What a terrible website for a store. You cant find anything......

I've been to the store years ago and they have a bad rep for way$$$ jacked prices compared to the other local stores.
    I see your name suits you perfectly.

Gords doesn't sell online.

Way jacked prices? In Winnipeg? Obviously you don't understand the realities of operating a retail business in Winnipeg. We price match with any other local business so your statements are unfounded.

mtbr member

americans vs euros

i always thought it was bc americans don't value a helmet that doubles as a cheese shredder.
    DEET is my deodorant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by flargle
    Catlikes are so two years ago.

and Giro, Bell and specialized are so 20 years ago.........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast