I like rigid MTB.

New question here. What is the proper way to dress for Winter MTBing for temp. under -8 degree C ?

What is the proper way to dress for Winter MTBing for temp. under -5 degree C or lower/windchill -15 degree C or lower ?

Thanks.....
    Last edited by edle; 02-18-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: add detail

mtbr member
    How many layers depends on your personal sweat factors and heat generating ability. What works for me is to use a cotton basic t shirt as the base layer, followed by fleece and then thermal jersey. Finish off with a coat that is either windproof or fluffy. If the weather profile will be varied add more layers thinly to make it removable. Ideally you want to make the setup just a little cold before leaving the house, then open vents or zippers before you reach the sweat point. Knee warmers help a lot under the tights, as can shoe covers and especially insulated insoles. For rides longer than about 30 mins, SPD cleat plates can suck a lot of heat straight out your feet. In extreme cases heat packs can contribute a considerable amount of heat to compensate, albeit for a limited amount of time.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

I like rigid MTB.
    Thanks for the info.
    My ride time is usually last 2 1/2 hours.

I got the thermal jersey already. What kind of outer shell you recommend ?