mtbr member
    May 2010

what knee/shin protection for AM riding with a decent amount of XC pedaling?

I've had ACL recontruction done using a piece of my patella which leaves the patella more vulnerable to a fracture if hit hard enough. I'm looking for something that can be pedaled in comfortably and still provide hard shell protection in a spill or pedal slip.

I'm going to be running 5.10's and flats so shin protection is a concern as well...hopefully the 5.10's minimize that...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Our whole line of pads here Troy Lee DesignsŪ | Joint Protection
    I would suggest the new Tbone version for pedaling or the 5450 TLD/shockdr pads. Semenuk pad and the others tend to get a little more gravity oriented, but the new Tbone and 5450 is pretty darn pedal friendly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The most pedal friendly but with full knee/shin protection I have tried are the Fox Launch Pro or Kali Protectives Aazis. They have knee only or knee/shin combo's, and they are very comfortable, form to your legs more than a hard plastic old school type. Ventilated fairly well. I have the Kali knee only and have crashed very hard with no injury or bruise. Many brands make similar, these are the only two I've tried.

Fox Launch Pro Knee/Shin Guards - Fox Racing

Amazon.com : Kali Protectives Aazis Plus 180 Soft Knee/Shin Guard : Cycling Protective Gear : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I like the idea of the plastic cups on the Fox, I don't know if I trust soft pads, even the D3O stuff....I ride moto and am a big believer in padded plastic over the knees, shins and elbows.

pin it
    Quote Originally Posted by stiksandstones View Post
    Our whole line of pads here Troy Lee DesignsŪ | Joint Protection
    I would suggest the new Tbone version for pedaling or the 5450 TLD/shockdr pads. Semenuk pad and the others tend to get a little more gravity oriented, but the new Tbone and 5450 is pretty darn pedal friendly.
    2nd this.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    tld 5450s have worked well for me. they stay put and seem to be good on hot days as well.
    i'm on my Last Herb

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've been using lizardskins knee shin gaurds for xc just to get used to them and they protect very well. They do get pretty hot when you stop but ass long as you keep moving they breath pretty well Lizard Skins Softcell Combo Knee/Shin Guards ? Reviews, Comparisons, Specs ? Mountain Bike Knee/Shin Pads - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    May 2010
    do the tld have plastic, or is it just soft padding? everyone seems to love the 661 kyle straights for pedaling, but I believe they are all soft padding. leaning toward the 5450's if they have plastic, or lizardskins if they are decent for pedaling XC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by katoom400 View Post
    do the tld have plastic, or is it just soft padding? everyone seems to love the 661 kyle straights for pedaling, but I believe they are all soft padding. leaning toward the 5450's if they have plastic, or lizardskins if they are decent for pedaling XC.
    5450s have VERY light shells on the knee/shin areas but plenty of protection with pedal strikes.
    i'm on my Last Herb

mtbr member
    NOT THE OTHERS BUT THIS SPECIFIC ONE: Style #29009
    Fox Launch Short Knee Guards
    Fox Launch Short Knee Guards - Fox Racing

And if you need more get the full length Fox.

I use both in the south texas heat and they are better than the others for keeping you cool and safe.
    I never notice them while peddling, they disappear.

The straps Fox uses on these work great and keep it cool, on back and front.
    This half clamshell style let more air in; from the sides to the front of the shins and knee.

The ones that go on like a sock and use spandex to hold on generate too much heat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Alpinestars

The best guard I've ever ridden with. And I've tried many of them over the years. This is thee first one that actually stays in place and is comfortable.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Those Alpines looks nice man. Good one!