Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What jersey that doesn't look like a jersey?

8K views 43 replies 38 participants last post by  captnpenguin 
#1 ·
I have been wearing t-shirts for my trail rides but was thinking about getting a real jersey...something with good technical fabric. Here is the thing: I don't want it to look too much like a bike jersey. Any suggestions or recommendations?

#37 ·
I don't get the whole moisture wicking fabric thing,my shirts are still soaked when I finish a ride if it's hot and they still smell bad.I went back to regular shirts because I don't like the feel of the moisture wicking fabric.
Fabrics vary, and they can feel very different. I've had a couple that I loathed and now don't wear riding. I like the feel of the Polartec Power Dry (REI, etc.) in most weather and Patagonia'a silk weight Capeline in the hottest weather.

The whole wicking-sweat-away-from-your-body deal is pretty much moot when you're a sweathog. No fabric can be expected to manage that much moisture. The benefit IMO is after it gets rung out, it doesn't have the wet and clammy feel of cotton. It'll still insulate. And it will dry quickly. "Cotton kills" has been a mountaineering adage for decades with good reason. In warm weather or for a short duration it doesn't matter, but otherwise it does.

Perspiration has no smell. It's the bacteria that grows in it which stinks. "Deoderants" are virtually useless; try a strong antiperspirant like Mitchum. When I skip too many days I get the funk coming back, but otherwise I can drench clothes all day long on the trail and have zero bad odor from my clothes or armpits.

Mike

#6 ·
Under armour, nike dri fits, adidas climalite, old navy has a house brand, Target as well. They also come in different weights for cold and warm conditions. Fit also varies from compression, fitted and loose. I personally wear under armour as they have a variety of styles. And because most mtb/cycling jerseys do not fit me. Under armour fits me well, I'm 5'7" and 190lbs (gym rat), Nike and adidas runs long, for me. Hope this helps

#17 · (Edited)
This^^. I have several of these and they don't just wick well, they breath well also. That seems to be pretty important for comfort with these wicking fabrics. I've found the nike dry fits also wick and breath very well but they are a bit pricier. I had an Under Armor shirt that wicks just fine but it doesn't breath at all. I'd stay dry but heat up like a blast furnace with it on and it's not intended to be insulative fabric. I gave it away.

#13 ·
I just use whatever I can find on sale that wicks sweat and breathes good. Every store I go to, I am always looking for dry fits (as I call them) and/or cargo shorts and I always go straight to the clearance racks.

I admit that the dry fit shirts do stink but having a few laying around is good.

#15 ·
If you have an outlet mall near you I'd suggest checking there. I managed to get some nice Adidas climalite and Nike dri-fit shirts for super cheap. I love them because they're somewhat form fitting, light weight, and really comfortable. Not to mention you don't get that awkward nipple rub nearly as bad from them as you would from a sweaty cotton shirt.

#21 ·
Agree with Sam and Shiggy. Wool tees are the ticket. They're more expensive, sure, but they're also more comfortable and they don't stink. I wear them for any outdoor activity, year round.

That's not to say that I don't have and wear 3/4 sleeve nylon jerseys, but they're not as comfortable on warm days, and I usually pull them off at the end of a ride. Plus, they obviously look like bike jerseys.

#23 ·
The other shirt I wear sometimes is a Cloudveil Inertia Spinner. I got it on Steep & Cheap a few years ago for something ridiculous. It's basically a mid-weight softshell in the form of a button-up shirt. It's as comfortable in 50 degree drizzle as in 90 degree sun. I floated the Grand Canyon a couple years ago and wore it pretty much every day. For spring and fall rides with questionable weather, it's what I wear if I don't want to bother carrying a shell.

#27 ·
RoyalRacing.com for summer, I always ride in long sleeves. I'm also a big merino wool advocate for winter. Wear light weight. Ibex is the best, warmest and tightest knit. But any lightweight brand will do, I/O Bio, Patagonia, Icebreaker, SWOBO all made great stuff. You wouldn't want to bike in middle weight wool till well below freezing temps.

#29 ·
Craft and Pearl Izumi, both well known cycling clothing manufacturers, make performance shirts that do not look like jerseys. They are tailored for cycling as they have longer tails, longer sleeves, and fit just a tad snugger. Options exist in long and short sleeves. These are my personal favs. North Face also makes good stuff that I like - general outdoor wear and cycle specific. Check them out!

#31 ·
I like anything lightweight and wool like Swobo or Smartwool. They don't retain odor and just look like a shirt. I also have a few of the cheaper synthetic type shirts mentioned earlier but they tend to get really stinky so when I bring those I bring a shirt to change into for post-ride beers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.