mtbr member
    May 2013

What gloves would you recommend for trail riding?

I just got into mountain biking and am riding trails mainly. What would you recommend as far as lightweight breathable but padded gloves? I looked at the Fox Digits online and liked the looks but haven't tried them on yet. I an looking too stay below $30-$40 but want something decent quality.

local trails rider
    People have different preferences. Better try some some on. Lots of people also say that they love Mechanix gloves which are not at all cycling specific.
    How do you know you like padded gloves?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I like the fox digit gloves, they are pretty much all I wear. However, since you mention padding I should point out that they have no padding whatsoever.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    People have different preferences. Better try some some on. Lots of people also say that they love Mechanix gloves which are not at all cycling specific.
    How do you know you like padded gloves?
    That's a very good point. I only asked about padded since I've ridden a few times and my palms have been sore but I am more concerned about protection on the back,

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I like the fox digit gloves, they are pretty much all I wear. However, since you mention padding I should point out that they have no padding whatsoever.
    That's true. I am more concerned with protection on the back and they looked like a good choice.

I picked up a pair of these today since I couldn't find the digits locally. Hopefully they hold up over time.

What gloves would you recommend for trail riding?-11-0366-blw-back.jpg

local trails rider
    For a beginner, sore palms are often a result of gripping the bar way too hard - a "death grip".

Other possibilities include:
    - just not being used to riding a bike.
    - riding position that puts too much of your weight on the hands
    - bar, or brake levers, angled so that they put your hands in an awkward position.

For many issues in riding a bike, there are a number of possible causes (or combinations), so making a diagnosis is hard. Diagnosis over internet is even harder but people make them anyway, based on very little information.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"