View Poll Results: What would you do if you forgot your helmet?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Doed not apply; I only wear a helmet when I race (note: Darwin Award Nominee)

3 2.83%
  • Ride anyway (see note option #1)

22 20.75%
  • Ride anyway; I have already re-produced so Darwinism is not an issue

17 16.04%
  • Go back and get helmet

42 39.62%
  • Cancel ride and drink beer

14 13.21%
  • Other: explain

8 7.55%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Retro Grouch

What to do when you forgot your helmet..

Most of us have been there; 20 minutes or more drive to the trailhead, and you discover you forgot your helmet. What do you do?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Ride anyways

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Most of us have been there; 20 minutes or more drive to the trailhead, and you discover you forgot your helmet. What do you do?
    I would just ride anyway, just maybe more cautiosly. I've actually have been ridding Sans helmet on my shorter rides from my house, I wouldn't do it on a road ride though.
    I've also bought a cheap pair of Bmx pedals at a nearby shop, when I found out that I had forgotten my ridding shoes at home, an hour or so drive away.

Not because I'm fast.....
    I wouldn't ride without my helmet. I wear the helmet no matter where I ride, even if it is just a mellow cruise on the paved bike path. You never know when those damn prairie dogs will dart out in front of you and knock you off the bike.

mtbr member

i've

I've broken helmets from crashes. Better off a helmet than my skull

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I forgot my helmet yesterday. I planned on a mellow course check ride on a "short" loop (16 miles) while most of the others did the big loop. I cautiously rode anyway. No problem until I was moving some rotten logs. As the end was straight over my head the end broke off and dropped 2 feet - square into my head. Still hurts. If it had been a "normal" trail ride I would have gone back for the helmet or not have ridden.

Returned to car. Drove home. Grabbed helmet. Drove back (50 min round trip). Rode back down course until I met the main group and completed ride with them - helmet on.

Made dang sure I was wearing my hard hat for trail work today!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    14 years and I have never owned a helmet.

Reviewer/Tester
    Helmets.. I hate helmets.

Never wore one for years, both motorcycles and bicycles.

Then the law about having to wear them was passed, so I got one. I hated it. Still do.

I would ride without one...I often do in the bush anyway.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Arrrr.
    I forgot my helmet the other day, I rode anyways. I also discovered that there are a bunch of low-hanging limbs on the trails that I usually just brush with my helmet. They hurt when they brush your head.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

And He was Not
    I've broken 3 helmets, I'm sold they work. I'd go to the nearest wallmart or bike shop and buy a cheapy rather than do without. My life is worht more than 40 minuetes drive time.

mtbr member
    I've broken one and my girlfriend, two. Mine cracked right in half. It was a '01 E2 and it had a dent about an inch deep from some submerged quartz. I really do think I would be dead or vegitative if that rock had penetrated my skull an inch or more. That fall f-ed my neck up really bad too. I always wear a lid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It is the rider's choice.......

To be an idiot. I survived a closed head injury WITH a helmet on! It is not cool to come to in a hospital and wonder what the heck is going on. It has been over 10 yrs. andI still have negitive effects from it. No- helmet- no -ride!!

Yes, that's fonetic
    I guess I'm an idiot then. I would do it again, too.

Before you flame my irresponsible ass, know I've been riding mtb's for 17 years and I've forgotten my helmet exactly 2 times. Both times were on trails that were relatively benign with no dangerous drops or super highspeed descents. I let the group go on the fast parts and poked along at a slowwwww pace and still had a blast. Maybe on a more potentially dangerous ride (I know, "they're all potentially dangerous yadayadayada") I would've chosen differently. I actually saw more of these trails due to the lack of visor and attention robbing speed than I ever had before.

I wouldn't advise it to most, but hey, I saved gas not driving home in my big assed truck!

Over the Hill
    I leave an old spare helmet and gloves in my toolbox in the back of my truck. I also have broken three helmets in two years. One was on a tree limb I tried to duck under and mis-judged. Another time my jersey sleeve caught on branch and ejected me.

Most of my riding is exploration.

If you are not lost or getting bushwhacked, the trail is probably too easy.

Witty McWitterson
    I've hit my helment hard enough to dent/crack it many times, so I know its worth. But if I forget it, I'm still riding. This has only happened a few times in 16 years though. Not worth the gas/time. I just take a mellow cruise instead. See more of the trail and its surroundings than I normally would. Its nice to take a break like that every now and again. Just to slow the pace. All you helemt nazi's can call me irresponisble if you want. I just wonder how many of you are lying to save face. [flamesuit on]
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    I havenever broken a helmut, but a very close friend had her life saved by one when she went OTB. That plus the fact that I make my son wear his both on the bike and on his skateboard (Neither of which I wore when I was skating and pedaling earlier in life) make me cancel the ride and drinka beer if I forget the brain bucket.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I forgot my helmet yesterday. I planned on a mellow course check ride on a "short" loop (16 miles) while most of the others did the big loop. I cautiously rode anyway. No problem until I was moving some rotten logs. As the end was straight over my head the end broke off and dropped 2 feet - square into my head. Still hurts. If it had been a "normal" trail ride I would have gone back for the helmet or not have ridden.

Returned to car. Drove home. Grabbed helmet. Drove back (50 min round trip). Rode back down course until I met the main group and completed ride with them - helmet on.

Made dang sure I was wearing my hard hat for trail work today!
    I didn't think you ever took your helmet off. That one time I saw you without it kind of freaked me out!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    not sure what I would do to be honest....guess it depends on the trail.

Having said that, I keep my bike gear bag in my car so this "should" never happen to me. Frankly, this possibility (along with forgetting some other important gear) is precisely why I keep my gear bag in my car at all times.

thats Mr.Dirtbag to you

Wink it couldn"t hurt

At this stage in my life, another good blow to the head might just help!
    "You know, the novelty kind of wears off after the first few times..."

mtbr member
    I guess because I started riding mtn. bikes before it was thought of to wear helmets I have to vote ride anyway, and have and still do on mellow rides out back with the wife. I have yet to break a helmet over the years.

One thing though is that I consider wearing a helmet, especially on a group ride, as a courtesy not unlike having a pieps and a shovel on a backcountry ski tour. If you do stack and hurt yourself because you don't have the protection you are just dropping your fate into the hands of your fellows which is not fair to them. If a helmet can prevent this from happening it is well worth having on your noggin.

I do take it off and sling it on my pack for extended uphills in hot weather. What I am more apt to do is forget my cleats, which using eggs means a trip back to the house.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    I would ride without helmet and be more conservative. Let's face it, if you go slow enough and avoid super technical sections there should be no problem.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member

Condom analogy.

Is there a condom analogy here?

Retro Grouch

I obviously left off a common option..

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    not sure what I would do to be honest....guess it depends on the trail.

Having said that, I keep my bike gear bag in my car so this "should" never happen to me. Frankly, this possibility (along with forgetting some other important gear) is precisely why I keep my gear bag in my car at all times.
    "#7. Ride anyway, but keep it slow and not take any chances";

that's what I did this time. I too have a "bike bag", but the day before I took out my helmet so I could pick up my son from school on our third wheel. I should also add I would never ride with my kids without a helmet and have driven back on at least one occasion I can think of.

I always go by the wisdom, "Example is not a way of teaching; it is the only way".

1G1G, Brad

mtbr member
    "#7. Ride anyway, but keep it slow and not take any chances"
    My helmet is always on my gear bag but if I were to forget it option 7 will be the most probable course of action. Keep it slow doesn't mean no danger but you would think it would be if you try to be cautious enough.

Slave to the grind

i rode very slowly once when i forgot my helmet...

the girl in front of me slowed momentarily to enjoy the viewwhen we were on top of a 3 foot wide bridge over a 15 foot chasm.

i wouldnt have been quick enough to release from my cleats and dab.

i couldnt yell at her either or she would have just frozen in place.

i just did a silent scream and prayed that she kept rolling. which she did.

screamed at her afterwards instead... havent forgot my helmet since then.

before that though, i would normally go back home and do a road ride or go to a nearer trail if possible.
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpstumper
    Is there a condom analogy here?
    How about, "Go ahead and ride anyway but stop just before you crash?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast