mtbr member

What Carcinogen(s) are in Sidis? Any Californians know?

Just got a pair of Dominators and was surprised to see a sticker on the box informing me that they contain a chemical (or chemicals) known to the State of California to cause cancer. Any Californians care to share with me what is in my Sidis that wants to kill me? Or anyone from anywhere else who might know what those smart Californians know.

Based in part on Googling around (though I found no specific chemical names for any shoes and nothing about Sidis), there is perhaps something in the plastic or faux leather. Could also be something in the metal cleat attachment.

I could speculate all day. Anyone know the actual facts here? Or where I might obtain an answer?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Everything in Californian is labeled that way, including air and water. It prevents lawsuits claiming a lack of the warning label. Just look around. The warnings are everywhere. They are so common that they become invisible.

Do you know whatever the State Rock of California is? It is the most commit rock in the state. It is Serpentine. That's the source of asbestos, a known carcinogen. So, California is itself carcinogenic.

mtbr member
    There is a reason the labels say "...known to the state of California..." and not "... known to people who examine evidence and draw reasonable conclusions..."

mtbr member
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I understand the point you are trying to make, but at the same time, there must be at least one specific chemical that is in my Sidis that would earn the shoes that sticker. Does anyone know what California "knows" is carcinogenic in my shoes? Or does anyone know how to find out?

mtbr member
    They say if you live long enough you're going to die of something. The modern world is full of stuff that will kill you. Don't inhale the fumes from your shoes. Stop worrying. Relax and enjoy your ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The last thing I want to do is inhale fumes from my shoes after a good ride. I may die but, it won't be from a carcinogen.

To the OP, if curiosity has gotten the best of you, have you contacted Sidi directly to se if their marking department might be able to tell you?

mtbr member
    To ti-triodes, this has little to do with "worrying" and more to do with, as desertred suggested, "curiosity." Considering this is the only pair of shoes I have ever purchased stickered with this warning, I think it's legitimate to wonder. And, I can assure you that after a few wears I do not inhale the fumes emitted from any of my shoes.

If I'm able to find out anything I will post it here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Contact Sidi - they'd have to tell. You're probably right about plastic or metal, I'd guess the metal. Or, it might be lawyers telling Sidi the cutting oil used on the cleat may remain in residual amounts...

And, Bruce in SoCal -
    Good logical train wreck... google "reductio ad absurdum" a rock contains asbestos - therefore CA is a carcinogen. Uh, OK.

Serpentine contains asbestos, but it is nowhere near the most common rock in the state.

Yeah public CA public schools and their science teaching!
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Re: What Carcinogen(s) are in Sidis? Any Californians know?

OP, I think you're in the MD/DC area, so no need to worry about it. Enjoy the shoes and the ride.

mtbr member
    It's an unsettling fact that many of the compounds used in our modern products can cause cancer if injested in high enough doses. Cali is just more stringent than other states in requiring the label. In the case of shoes it can be the adhesive in the shoes, the coloring or the chemicals used in the manufacture of the plastic, rubber or metal. It can be the coating used to finish the metal parts or formaldehide in the fabrics used in the footbed. Even real leather goes through some funky process to get the color uniform or even change the color. Government regulations are actually written to allow a certain percentage of this crap and will even specify the amount allowed. BTW, you DON'T want to know what is allowed in the foods we eat.
    And this is just in stuff made in the US. There is almost no regulation in the countries where they manufacture this stuff. Why do you think they do so much work in China?
    Contacting Sidi is the only way the OP can find out but even they may not know.

The only silver lining in this happy tale is the amount of carcinogens is probably small in a pair of shoes. Personally, i'd rather enjoy my ride than worry, because if you think about this stuff, you'll go nuts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by likeybikey View Post
    I could speculate all day. Anyone know the actual facts here? Or where I might obtain an answer?
    You can find the Prop 65 list here: OEHHA Proposition 65 List of Chemicals
    Probably over a thousand chemicals. Remember the basic rule of toxicology: "Dose makes the poison." Also you have to inhale, ingest or absorb(through skin or eyes) the toxicant. Shoes really don't offer an exposure route for the user. Unless someone kicks you in the a$$ with their only in California toxic shoe. Keep biking it is healthy.

urmb
    Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley.
    Theodore Roethke

mtbr member
    The answer you have all been waiting for: Sidi says that the threaded metal piece that your cleats attach to contains trace amounts of lead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I don't believe asbestos is carcinogenic. It is physically toxic and is indeed nasty stuff. Small needle shaped crystal can become embedded in lung tissue and lead to asbestosis and mesothelioma. I think having asbestosis often leads to lung cancer though. I think it makes one susceptible to contracting cancer but does not directly cause cancer. Asbestos actually contains the same chemical constituents as talc.

squish, squish in da fish
    you'll be fine if you convert to eating vegan and smoking organic herb, washed down by your favorite IPA. in moderation of course. if you do contract, god forbid, cancer then the guy in my avi will help to euthanize

j/k as a couple of 2 hearted ales and some velvet underground will warp your mind............................... actually i'm not