Brant-C.

waterproof shoes & goretex socks

I didn't know where to post this so here goes...

rode this past weekend and the temps were in the high 50's. put my foot down in a creek three times so had to ride two hours with wet feet. they were freezing.

can anyone recommend some goretex socks and waterproof shoes?

thanks.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

ZEN RIDER!
    I'm in the same boat & so far I've decided to give this shoe a try.
    Its water proof & an alpine shoe, which gives ya the 3/4 hightop.
    Its not a winter shoe as it doesn't have insulation, but it is thicker than a summer shoe & its gortex. I plan on wearing a good pair of socks & my feet seldom get cold unless they get wet riding regular shoes in the winter.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...uct_id=1148638

Here are some more options
    Shoes, shoes & more shoes

E
    Life in every breath

mtbr member

Try SealSkinz

I used to live in Oregon. I used SealSkinz GoreTex socks. It is hard to find a waterproof cycling shoe.

Use these socks, and put a thin Polypro liner sock under it on really cold wet days. You can step in 6 inches of water and your feet stay dry. You feel the cold for a couple seconds and think your foot just got wet, and then when your foot comes out of the water it quickly goes back to being warm and toasty.

Really makes the ride a lot nicer on those rainy 40 degree days, when your feet are warm. They cost around $25. A lot cheaper than GoreTex footwear which is usually quite pricey.

www.derbyrims.com
    To temps down into the 30ís (coastal NorCal winters) Iíve found that neoprene shoe covers from Performance work well to keep feet warm and water out (if you pull leg warmers over the top) using your regular summer shoes and no special socks. They have smooth soles so are pretty terrible for hiking up steeper climbs or down.

My feet sweat while riding in them, itís really nice on cold days.

Even if you canít avoid it and soak your feet in a creak crossing, your feet will warm back up and stay much warmer than without them.

If you buy the Performance brand (there are other brands), then buy two sizes up from your menís shoe size. Example, if shoe is 11 then get size 13 Performance brand neoprene bootie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've been eyeing these for the same kind of conditions. Waterproof and insulated. I haven't run spesh shoes since my first pair of spuds in 92, but a few friends are on them now and like them. I find booties to be a pain in the ass on the trail, but they are way cheaper. If you get waterproof boots, why do you need goretex socks?-- just get some good woolies.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=33744

Gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E
    I'm in the same boat & so far I've decided to give this shoe a try.
    Its water proof & an alpine shoe, which gives ya the 3/4 hightop.
    Its not a winter shoe as it doesn't have insulation, but it is thicker than a summer shoe & its gortex. I plan on wearing a good pair of socks & my feet seldom get cold unless they get wet riding regular shoes in the winter.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...uct_id=1148638

Here are some more options
    Shoes, shoes & more shoes

E
    Can you mount a cleat on this shoe? The description doesn't say SPD compatible.
    Nice looking shoe!

mtbr member

Go Goretex sock

Quote Originally Posted by bcaronongan
    I didn't know where to post this so here goes...

rode this past weekend and the temps were in the high 50's. put my foot down in a creek three times so had to ride two hours with wet feet. they were freezing.

can anyone recommend some goretex socks and waterproof shoes?

thanks.
    Socks are a cheap ($40-50) and practical solution that waterproofs any shoe. I have been using them for years and I can put them in my bycicle/running/hiking shoes. Goretex laminated shoes are way more expensive, they do not last that much waterproof-wise, and (see for example the $140 Izumi shoe listed by Mt.Biker E) you still get water in because they are cut so low. A Goretex sock goes all the way up to you shin and paired with waterproof pants gives you a dry ride under massive rain.

You'll find them almost anywhere (http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0005228810874a.shtml http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

mtbr member
    Gotta agree with Davide.

I won't go on a ride in the winter without my Rocky GoreTex socks!

You will probably need one size larger shoe than normal, to fit a nice warm wool sock as well as the GoreTex one. Remember, good blood circulation to your feet in winter is critical in keeping them warm, so tight shoes/socks aint gonna cut it.

Members who have read this thread: 0