mtbr member

Wash your gloves?

Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but any tips for washing your gloves? Mine REEK and are in desparate need of a bath. They have a soft/faux leather palm and standard terry cloth thumb piece. I think I tore off the tag with the washing instructions. I'm afraid that its like washing your favorite baseball hat - its just never quite the same afterwards...

Thanks.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by notrelatedtoted
    Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but any tips for washing your gloves? Mine REEK and are in desparate need of a bath. They have a soft/faux leather palm and standard terry cloth thumb piece. I think I tore off the tag with the washing instructions. I'm afraid that its like washing your favorite baseball hat - its just never quite the same afterwards...

Thanks.
    I wash mine, a necessity to me.

I just throw them in the wash on a normal cycle, but you could always do the delicate if you wanted. I figure being saturated with sweat and twisting on a sticky grip is going to be harder on them than being swooshed around in a tub of water.

After that I just straighten them out and put them on a vent to dry. They get a little stiff after drying, but quickly goes away when you put them on.

banned
    stick them in on delicate cycle, temp around 40degC or less.

Never had a problem. Always better than new afterwards.

Don't worry, be happy!
    line dry, no dryer

Bionic Mtn Biker

Regularly

After several easy rides or after every really tough, long, sweaty excursion. Unwashed gloves, like dirty socks, tend to reek after awhile (collection of bacteria, salts, & snot). That being said, I used to handwash my gloves in the bathroom sink w/ laundry detergent & hang em out to dry. Now, I toss em in one of those protective mesh bags and into the laundry w/ the rest of my riding clothes after a ride. The mesh bag is to protect the clothes from the velcro on the gloves. And always hang-dry. You might ruin them in the dryer.
    Better than he was before. Better. . . Stronger. . . Faster. (but not smarter)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Just remember to fasten the velcro. If you don't it will try to find something to fasten itself to during the wash (your shorts, socks or something you really don't want it to fasten to)

Then line dry afterwards.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by 6milliondollarman
    After several easy rides or after every really tough, long, sweaty excursion. Unwashed gloves, like dirty socks, tend to reek after awhile (collection of bacteria, salts, & snot). That being said, I used to handwash my gloves in the bathroom sink w/ laundry detergent & hang em out to dry. Now, I toss em in one of those protective mesh bags and into the laundry w/ the rest of my riding clothes after a ride. The mesh bag is to protect the clothes from the velcro on the gloves. And always hang-dry. You might ruin them in the dryer.
    it's called a lingerie bag.

Do It Yourself
    Mine have the Clarino synthetic palms and I wash them all the time. In with the rest of the bike clothes. A bit of Oxyclean (Clorox II, Tide with Bleach, Lysol, etc) will take care of the stink.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member

Thanks for the info

No more stinky gloves....the power of the internet! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't throwing $30.00 down the drain.

Thanks.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    In to the wash with the rest of the bike clothes (shorts, jersey, socks, head band, tights, jacket, etc), make sure you close the velcro straps or they wreck lycra. Warm wash/cold rinse. I use Sunlight laundry detergent.

Hang everything to dry over the bath tub.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    For really stinky stuff (bike armour) I use Mr. Clean, the stuff you use to wash your floors with. It is anti-bacteria so it kills the smell, it washs out easily as it was designed to be removed with a damp mop, there isn't much perfume in it so the smell goes away in a day or so.

Got this tip from guys I work with who play hockey, and if you have ever smelled hockey gear....

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    it's called a lingerie bag.
    What she said... My Pace lycras came in a bag similar to one of those and that what I use for my gloves.

I remember putting my cycling clothes on a dryer... but just for a few minutes. It might not work for all brands. My DeMarchi jersey (the only decent one I have) shrank a bit.
    Check my Site

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    after enough blood sweat mud and snot accumulates--oh after a couple rides--I stick em in the washer--hang to dry.

mtbr member
    I throw all my cycling clothes on the regular cycle along with the regular clothes, just remember to close the velcro straps. All cycling stuff is hang to dry, the dryer just ruins that kind of clothing.

Map Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by notrelatedtoted

Thanks.
    I wash my gloves and my baseball hat all the time - like every three weeks or so. it just takes one time wearing it to get your hat back to the way you like it. the gloves are good to go right out of the dryer.

with all my bike stuff - jerseys, shorts, gloves etc. I do NOT use any frabric softner or dryer sheets.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

"El Whatever"
    Did anybody noticed how nice and comfortably tight gloves feel after washing??
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    What's the problem with softner?

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    What's the problem with softner?
    if you use fabric softener on wicking or performance fabrics, it significantly reduces the wicking ability. This includes fleeces.