mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Warm, durable shoe covers that stay in place

I've tried a few shoe covers over the years and have never been truly happy with any of them for the following reasons:

• They're not warm (neoprene make my feet sweat and then they freeze).
    • They fall apart quickly (typically they tear on the edges of the soles).
    • They don't stay in place when walking in mud or snow (usually, the toes pop up off the shoes).

I may bite the bullet and buy some winter shoes, but I'd still like to find a pair of covers that actually work.

Any recommendations?

At Work

Warm, durable shoe covers that stay in place

I have had the LG covers. They have been very durable. Hard to get on. May should have gotten larger size. They are not soft neoprene like some. Lot of vinyl/rubber(?) on them. But. I we don't have snow here. Just happened once to ride in snow. Did not stick. Wasn't snowing when we started. Night ride also!
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've tried a couple but my faves are Gore Windstopper - Insulated version. I use them with Sidi's and wear only a thin wool sock. Kept my feet warm on last weeks ride - 2-1/2 hours in 18 degrees & snow. They're windproof but not waterproof. Buy at a LBS so you get size right. Too large & they'll flip off your toe, too small and a PIA to put on. Bottoms don't wear well on pavement but still the best out there IMHO.

AZ
    banned
    Pearl Izumi. I have a pair that are 6 years old, still in great shape with frequent use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I ordered some Endura MT500 Overshoes...

...and they arrived last weekend. I ordered XLs to fit size 45 Bontrager RXL shoes (they fit the same as Sidi), but when I initially looked at the overshoes, I thought they would be too small. They did stretch into place OK and they are a snug fit. One thing is for certain, they will NOT pop loose at the toes like my others do. This would be true, even if I didn't use toe spikes, which I do.

I've only had the chance to do one very short ride in moderate temps, but so far, so good. They're comfortable, stay in place and provide good traction when walking in snow. I hope to get them out in sub-freezing conditions shortly, to see how warm they are.