mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Warm breathable jacket

Looking for a jacket while commuting in 30 degree weather (thats the coldest it will get) that is breathable and preferably wind proof with some water resistance. Tried a Cirq Rowan but it got clammy and sealed in the sweat, although it did say it was breathable. I have a Pearl Izumi track jacket but it isn't wind proof and pretty thin. I don't ride in the rain but sometimes it get pretty foggy and end up pretty damp. Thanks for any help!

Redcoat

Warm breathable jacket

I have a north face apex android soft shell. It's warmer than you would think, rainproof and wind proof. I love the thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Awesome thank you! I found the Apex Bionic which looks the same but no hood.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Get wool sweater 2 sizes too large for you, wash in hot water and then the dryer. It's called felting, works well.

mtbr member
    When *proof *tex membrane clothes are marketed as "breathable", they mean "more breathable than rubber", which is the older material for rain gear. They are OK if you only wear a light base layer underneath and don't ride hard.

Also look for something with zippered openings in the armpits. They help a lot.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I recommend a softshell jacket. I have one from MEC that I wear for mtb and a Patagonia Simple Guide for hiking and general wear. Either one would be a good choice. No BS fleece lining as I want a versatile jacket. I have mtb down to -10C with a couple of thin merino tops underneath and was quite comfortable. With just an unlined shell you can layer up or not to suit conditions. With a fleece inner lining sometimes it just going to be too warm. I often wear mine with 1 thin merino top underneath. Not too warm but protects from the wind and damp. Not good in steady rain but fine for light showers, drizzle, and fog. I went with a hood that fits over my helmet.
    Patagonia Simple Guide Hoody Review - OutdoorGearLab
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Redcoat
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    Awesome thank you! I found the Apex Bionic which looks the same but no hood.
    yep all preference. i like hoods but no problem without. i wear a tshirt underneath, light fleece if its Baltic cold. i like to be able to move so the less layers under the better.

mtbr member
    A wool or silk base layer, with wool mid-layer and/or wool sweater, over that a mid-weight wool jacket, and a light weight waterproof layer for when it gets wet. This combination gets me from 50F down to around 0F. Of course, below 30F a wool scarf is highly recommended.

I don't want to shill for any one company, but Icebreaker is the best I've used in terms of comfort, warmth, and durability.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    A wool or silk base layer, with wool mid-layer and/or wool sweater, over that a mid-weight wool jacket, and a light weight waterproof layer for when it gets wet. This combination gets me from 50F down to around 0F. Of course, below 30F a wool scarf is highly recommended.

I don't want to shill for any one company, but Icebreaker is the best I've used in terms of comfort, warmth, and durability.
    Love merino wool and have Ibex, Icebreaker, Patagonia, I/O Bio and Stoic and the order shows the quality. When skiing my 320 weight Icebreaker leaves me cold at 25 while my Ibex sweater has me warm at 10F. Personally I think Ibex is the best tested, but Icebreaker is softer while Ibex is a denser knit. But the Ibex is medium weight and I usually wear lightweight (Patagonia, I/O Bio) cycling unless below freezing. Stoic is the cheapest, poorest style and thinnest but still works.
    agmtb

Trail Prospector
    IME - Waterproof / Breathable is a farce for sports, and pit zips do help tremendously.
    Out of a dozen or so jackets, for biking I've found this

Marmot DriClime Windshirt Review - OutdoorGearLab

to work very well.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Check out the review for this dude, the Eddie Bauer/First Ascent Accelerant Jacket:

Climbing magazine Editors' Choice 2013: Eddie Bauer First Ascent Accelerant Jacket - YouTube

Won all sorts of awards, and has long arms - perfect for riding. Sizing options include tall as well, and I think I'm gonna get one. Windproof, will shed some water, and has a hood that looks like it would fit under a helmet if you needed it too. *Winner of Climbing Magazine 2013 Editors' Choice Award - *Winner of Backpacker Magazine 2013 Editors' Choice Award. Not sure i would have thought that from Eddie Bauer, but you can't argue with results...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What about this one jacket Blue Gore Tex Waterproof Breathable Mountain Climbing Jackets for Men Best Combat Jacket, it seems to meet all your requirement. From its description we can know it is waterproof, windproof and breathable.

mtbr member
    No such thing as waterproof and really breathable.