mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Vamoose II Helmet Replacement?

Hey everybody,

My current helmet is a Vigor Vamoose II which I smacked on the pavement and would like to replace since I don't trust it after that. My head seems to be slightly oval/oblong. My Vamoose II was a large and my head measures 57.5cm. Also for reference, I tried a Fox Rampage and had presure at the upper forehead and not enough contact on the sides in a large. Anybody else coming from the Vamoose II and replaced it with something else that feels as good for fit? How about anybody who knows of another brand by experience that has an oval/oblong fit? I'd like to try some on, but that is difficult here in Ohio (no, Ray's MTB park doesn't have anything now).

Thank you all.

Also, I ride xc to aggressive xc and just like the extra protection of a full-face helmet. No DH racing or anything of that nature. Plenty of hot climbing in the summer though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ok, so I figured it out for myself. Of course that's the best way.

Anywho, glad I didn't listen to some write-ups and information from some mail-order places. I found a mail-order place an hour away from me called XSportsProtective, and I got to try on a good handfull of helmets. Good selection and great interested sales staff. They also matched an online competitor's price and dropped another 10%.

In the end the Bell Drop in medium fit the best. The Drop medium is sized right between the Giro Remedy medium and large. Same interior shape, just different volumes. The Drop is not a round head shape based on this experience.

Figured I'd post this if it could benefit someone else.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out the Giro Remedy. I've got an oblong head, had an XL Vamoose several years ago, and a Large Remedy fits much more comfortably. Fit is pretty much the same as the Giro Xen (more likely to be at the LBS).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, I tried the Giro Remedy. The medium gave me a snug halo feeling while the large was just a little sloppy. If they had a size between the medium and large it would have been great. But wait, the Bell Drop did that, so I bought it. Bell and Giro are sister companies, so it's no surprise that there is an overlap of shaping in the helmets. Killer price on the '09 Bell Drop as well at $58 -10%. The Bell Drop also had the same safety raitings as the Giro Remedy.

mtbr member
    I still run a L Vamoose II. It fits better than any helmet Ive ever had. I have an oblong head too. Most helmets KILL the top of my forehead at one certain spot. I have found the THE L fits good if I trim a little off the foam by the forehead. I have been leaning toward the XL with the M cheek pads next.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yep, the newer Bell helmets are extremely comfortable. I've got a large Bell Sweep for road biking and an xl Moto-8 for motocross, two of the most comfortable helmets I've ever put on. They used to fit round heads better, but got eggier ever since they bought Giro.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ah, that explains why everybody is saying they are for a round head, but fit my oval/oblong really well now with the Drop.