mtbr member

New question here. Use digi camera as helmet cam??

Can I use my Casio Exilim 7.2 digital camera with a 2 or 4 Gig card as the DRV (digital recording device) along with a helmet mounted bullet cam? It does not appear to have the input jack that is required. The only jack it has is a USB looking type jack on the bottom where it connects to its charging / uploading dock.

I would like to try and fool around a little with a helmet cam but don't want to put lots of $$ or time into it.

Any other suggestions for easy to use and inexpensive (under $200) helmet cam options?

Since the Casio was kinda' expensive, I am not too thrilled about the idea of zip tying it to my helmet. Granted I have only smashed my head 2 times in the last year or so...I do not want to tempt fate.

Thanks.

not so super...
    Nothing to see here.

Lay off the Levers
    Yeah check out the GoPro, Ask FoShizzle for input as he has one. But just like him I doubt it's ever come close the trail.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

fried stuff with cheese
    As far as I know you can not input video into a digital still camera.
    The GoPro looks like a nice relatively inexpensive way to get your feet wet with the whole "helmet cam" thing. Before I left the pro video place I was running I was setting up as a GoPro dealer so I could test them out a bit. I did notice that QBP picked them up so you should be able to get them from any shop that works with Quality. My person opinion is to not invest too much into a helmet camera. While it is a cool perspective to mix into a video it's only a matter of time before you and others will get sick of just looking at video shot from the top of your head. This is just my opinion.

What I would recommend is using one to get some interesting angle shots to mix into a video shot in the traditional sense. Also, don't assume that mounting it on your head is the only way to go. Get creative with it. I've seen people mount a small POV camera to their seat post, top tube, seat stay all with very interesting results.

I'm very interested to see where the technology goes with the small hybrid solid state recorders that are out now. I think they are not really ready for main stream yet (quality wise) but if someone told me two years ago that you would be able to buy a solid state HD camera for under $300 I would have said they were high. I'm not recommending people buy these yet but just knowing they are out there for this price point is going to force the real players to keep pushing the envelope.

It was in 2005 at NAB that I first saw a mock up of the Panasonic AG-HVX200. I couldn't believe that there was going to be a true HD camera (actually format agnostic) released for under $10k! Then when they started shipping in December 05 (I believe) they were under $6k! A year prior to that it would have cost you between $60-$100k to do the same thing. Now you can pick a consumer HD camera that will give you very good quality HD video for under $1k! Unreal.

Man, sorry for the ramble, I'm such a geek for this stuff. The only point buried in there is that we are on the cusp of seeing better and better looking video for very low prices. This is going to open up a story telling medium to people who might not have been able to afford to do so before. I can't wait for the day that I can sit here and watch really cool HD home bike vids on my computer. So cool.
    Egg

Lay off the Levers
    I can't wait for the day that I can sit here and watch really cool HD home bike vids on my computer. So cool.
    At which time it will become blindingly apparent to all of us that quality never was the limiting factor... content is.

fried stuff with cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    At which time it will become blindingly apparent to all of us that quality never was the limiting factor... content is.
    Hey, no doubt 90% of it will be crap, but it will be dam good looking crap.
    Egg

Lay off the Levers

Preach it baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Locotiki
    Hey, no doubt 90% of it will be crap, but it will be dam good looking crap.
    Yeppers, just like 90% of my HDTV channels on cable! (RushTV is the 10% )

Now with flavor!!
    You'd be better off bolting the camera to your helmet using the tripod mount anyway.

There are very few lipstick cams worth a damn out there.......and the few that are worthy cost a fair chunk of change. You'll get better images out of the camera itself.

Locotiki: you got an HVX? Can I borrow it?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Obviously you haven't been paying attention to the great majority of what gets posted on the web these days
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Yay! Bikes !
    we used to do that ... duct tape a digital still to our helmets and put it in video mode.

We called it "ghetto helmet cam theatre" ... and the quality is exactly what you'd expect!
    Nick.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.
    ... and the quality is exactly what you'd expect!

But at least you get the full processor of the camera and not the filtered image of the lipstick cam......which is usually pretty crappy.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.
    ...duct tape a digital still to our helmets and put it in video mode.
    Y'all should sac-up and do it the manly way... Grip the camera with your teeth and go for it!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by yehudanachum
    Any other suggestions for easy to use and inexpensive (under $200) helmet cam options?

Thanks.
    Yes... Look on eBay for a samsung sc-x105l or sc-x110l. They are selling for under $200. The quality is not great but not totally horrible either- and they are very durable and easy to use. If you check out the moves on my site (link below), most all the older ones were made using a samsung. Check out cheap thrills, CBC or galbraith for instance. One thing to keep in mind is, the compression used to get video on the web is ultimately going to make just as big of a difference as the camera. A youtube video shot with a great camera is going to look just as bad as something shot with a cheap camera but minimal compression.

PSI
    I want that one
    i shot this video with a still camera with a 1 gb card. i used a screw from a little tripod and a velcro strap from and old helmet light to attach it to the helmet. its a little shakey but the better still cameres like yours have better stablizers so its worth a try. btw the original is 200 mb and looks better than the youtube version.

mtbr member
    a riding buddy uses an oregon scientific camera - takes a 2 Gig card all self contained - very light and quality is half decent - plug the camera into your pc or mac and use imovie or windows moviemaker and bob's yer uncle.

mtbr member
    May 2004

one setup

Hi,
    You can find the setup I use (digital camera, mini tripod, helmet) and some sample results here:
    http://phspot.ch/blog/biking/mountai...camera-how-to/

It is the best compromise I've found for reasonably good and stabilized video quality, without the bulk and weight of a full camcorder attached to the helmet.

cheers,

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    thats pretty damn impressive paul! i have mini version of the same tripod and a niterider light mount so im all fired up to give that a try. too bad i dont have any stabilization on my old sd400. by the way, very nice place to ride by the looks of things and i dig the mega group idea. those are fun days.

edit: it mounted up quite nicely but i did things a little diff for a lower profile and to fit my zen a little better. ill have squish come over and shoot a pic with his digi so ya can see what it looks like. im settin up the editing software now so i can get a demo vid posted as soon as the ice allows. thanx again man!
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 12-20-2007 at 07:42 AM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Here's a trick new toy in the helmet cam world...

http://www.vholdr.com

Santa (my visa card) has ordered me one, I'm hanging out till it arrives.

Will post some video when I've got it going.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fresh tracks
    Here's a trick new toy in the helmet cam world...

http://www.vholdr.com

Santa (my visa card) has ordered me one, I'm hanging out till it arrives.

Will post some video when I've got it going.
    the oregon scientific camera is about $220.00 cheaper and has very similar specs, is waterproof and even supports 2 GB SD cards.....I am struggling to see how the vholdr camera is worth the exta cash?

http://www.sureneeds.com/atc2000.html

if ya put the vholdr on a sharks head, the whole lazer problem would be a moot point.

i like the stout and clean lookin alloy body, dedicated battery, big simple switch and the mounts look way nicer than the os's ive seen. the dual lazer idea is a setup plus but at $110 per lazer? i might have to agree with ya.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    yep, looked at the Oregon Scientific. No personal experience using it and just doing the trawl of the internet, there seemed some satisfied users but the weight of opinion seemed to be not so glowing with issues around low light performance, mounting systems (lots of wobble), poor audio and performance variability.

What I'm not doing is being sensible and waiting to see how the vholdr one pans out in quality before buying - but someone has to be the lab rat & test it

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Vholdr

Just though that I would chime in on the comment about similar video specs between the Oregon and vholdr. The Basic Specs of 640x480 / 30fps, is quite limited information about how the final video picture will display on your PC screen. More importantly are lens quality, video processing, and compression. You will find a hugh difference between the vholdr and the Oregon scientific - this can be seen for yourself, if you find and download some raw footage of the two (not streaming content - like youtube).

mtbr member

Vio

This is legit, by far the best quality that I have seen...check it out:

http://www.vio-pov.com/

and priced for mass consumption too! only $850 before accesories. i was thinkin of gettin 2, 1 for me and 1 for fo's mom's new website idea. if i trade it out she would owe me about 175 free "dates".

but yeah, it may be the real deal.
    No, I'm NOT back!