mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Universal Small Buckle and Strap Replacement

My Shimano SH-M086L's buckle strap's teeth is pretty chewed up, and a replacement Universal Small Buckle and Strap set is due soon. On examining the strap, I can't figure out how remove the old strap. There is a little plastic "stop", that I don't know how to depress. Does any one know how to remove the strap? My option is to take a fine knife and cut out the "stop", as the strap is going to be trashed anyway.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Shimano tech docs for your shoes are here:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830817359.pdf
    It shows that the buckle is held on with a screw, and the strap pushes back through the tongue. Looks like there may be a small tab to press before it will push back through.
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    griffter18,
    Thanks for the Tech Doc. Very handy to keep on file. I understand how to install a new set of buckle and strap. What I don't understand, is how to remove the strap. The plastic tab acts like a stop, which prevents the strap from slipping off, but I can't figure how how to depress the tab, it's not flexible. Perhaps the plastic opening, on the shoe, that receives the strap, flexes a bit. The worst case scenario, would be to cut the old strap off. Just checking, to see if there is an obviously simple procedure to remove the strap.

mtbr member
    If you look closely at the back of the strap where it comes out you will notice that that wedge bit is hollowed.
    The bit that holds the straps in on both sides is also quite flexible.

Take a plastic tyre lever or blunt object and push it into the gap on the reverse of the strap. Gently pry the holder on the back of the strap just enough to enable the strap to unlock and it can then slide out. It doesn't take much so don't do mad otherwise you will deform it completely. Just a gentle twist is all thats needed.

Instructions on the paperwork are a little lacking.
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

banned
    Apr 2013
    Code:
     The worst case scenario, would be to cut the old strap off. Just checking, to see if there is an obviously simple procedure to remove the strap.
    Agreed!! I think when we try to cut down that strap, it will give you an ugly look due to cutting its zig zag thread edges. I always use Ladies Motorcycle Waterproof Boots which are specially made up for riding, have no straps.