Thread: UnderArmor

mtbr member

UnderArmor

I recently found a great deal on an UnderArmor longsleeve zip-t shirt that is fantastic as a base layer for cycling. I wear it under a fleece vest when it's cold and under a shell when it's cold and wet.

So now that it's starting to warm up (71deg in Georgia on my ride today!), I'm thinking about their warm weather gear as a replacement for cycling jerseys. I don't like their skin-tight compression stuff (I'm 47 and wouldn't subject anyone to seeing me in that!) Something like this:

or this:

And, yes, I'm going to pose like that, with that look on my face, if I get them.

I kinda like non-cycling apparel for mountain biking. I love Mountain Hardwear gear for cold weather outer layers and I'm becoming a fan of UA for warm weather stuff.

Anyone using standard non-cotton workout gear for mountain biking? I prefer cycling specific baggy shorts but these seem like better options than jerseys for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I certainly do use non-cycling stuff. That said, I have some things meant for cycling that I find indispensable.

I wear a softshell intended for climbing (quite toasty, half the price of a Gore shell). Heavier weight clothing (microfleeces, fleeces, etc) I find are better made for things other than cycling. Baselayers are plentiful. I have a pair of Craft XC ski pants that perform far and above anything cycling specific at the price I paid for them.

Stuff I don't skimp on:

Gloves, shorts, shoes (though I make an exception for flats, skate shoes work well)...that about covers it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am actually a fan of under armour, and wear only UA base, thermal layer, outerwear and shirts as an alternative to jerseys. Unfortunately, I cannot fit in the majority of bike-specific jerseys and outerwear ( 5'7" and 190lbs ish with a 30" waist). The fit is great for me and the garments move a lot better. You can find really good deals on their site in the clearance section or at your local sporting goods store. But with regards to shorts, I actually own a pair of Endura single tracks. Fit is spot on but the liner is another story. I find that the liners are loose on the waist but really tight every where else.
    Last edited by ronyc; 01-13-2013 at 06:33 PM.

mtbr member
    All I wear is UA cuz I have tons left over from college and HS sports.

Try out there cold gear "fitted" long sleeve shirt. It's $50 and works like a champ. A bike related type of shirt would be $80-100.

I also like the UA Hood for cold rides. Keeps my ears warm but I can pull the face shield down to breath better.

I actually don't have UA Coldgear compression pants.. just heatgear and I am just fine down to 20 degrees.. but i handle cold pretty well.

I always prefer UA to biking specific gear.

One thing to consider that when moving at pretty high speeds the UA Coldgear won't keep the air out. In the fall I learned that on a very flowing trail. It was 34 degrees and I was just wearing a UA fitted Coldgear w/ a UA charged cotton shirt on top. I was pretty chilly. But then I got a UA Coldgear full zip jacket. Very light weight but keeps me warm.

Something like this would keep the wind out tho.
    Amazon.com: Mens Under Armour StormRun 1/4 Zip: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Does anyone use the wally world UA knock offs? I don't mind coughing up the bucks so my kids can wear the brand name stuff, but I don't need to impress anybody. Does the cheap stuff work as well?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    Does anyone use the wally world UA knock offs? I don't mind coughing up the bucks so my kids can wear the brand name stuff, but I don't need to impress anybody. Does the cheap stuff work as well?
    Yeah, I have a shirt I got at Walmart for $7. I've had it for a few years, so it's a bit chewed up, but it works fine. TJ Maxx and Marshalls usually have good deals on athletic shirts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Target has the champion brand ones. My brother uses their base layer and according to him it feels the same. Then again, I gave him a UA coldgear compression shirt he never wore the champions again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Fred Meyer carries "Russel" brand athletic wear, works great, $14 for a "coolmax" type shirt/jersey, no logos or labels on them either which is great as I find the riding gear with big logos plastered all over to be annoying at best.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I use UA and Nikes version for a base layer. If you have a Nike outlet near by you can get these for 20- 30 bucks.

mtbr member
    I ran across some TekGear stuff while shopping with my wife at Kohl's and it seems to work pretty well too, it was $15 each for a long sleeve base layer top and pants. The sleeves of the top have a thumbhole to keep them from riding up and the pants fit just loose enough in the seat to wear my liner shorts underneath.

We have an UA outlet here but they really don't take much money off for defects and seconds as I think they should.

roog

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I like the UA stuff as well, but I found the Saucony and Brooks gear to be a bit better for me. I am more of a runner who started mountain biking for cross training but love it though. Also you can go to running warehouse and pick up some great gear for pretty cheap. The Mizuno thermo works just as well as my UA Cold gear but lighter.

mtbr member
    UA, Champion, Nike, and even the off brand stuff is pretty good now. I use them specifically for base layers in the winter and then riding shirts only in the summer.

In the winter, I prefer my outerwear to be bike spefic for two reasons. One, bike gear is usually wind proof in the front and breathable in the back so you can stay pretty warm with minimal bulk and let the sweat evaporate out the back so you don't freeze to death. Two, bike gear will be longer in the back and keeps it from riding up your back and having all the cold air on your skin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Karrimor also do some nice UA type clothing, much cheaper too I find.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Quote Originally Posted by roogie View Post
    I ran across some TekGear stuff while shopping with my wife at Kohl's and it seems to work pretty well too, it was $15 each for a long sleeve base layer top and pants. The sleeves of the top have a thumbhole to keep them from riding up and the pants fit just loose enough in the seat to wear my liner shorts underneath.

We have an UA outlet here but they really don't take much money off for defects and seconds as I think they should.

roog
    I have a few pieces of Tek Gear...it is super cheap (compared to UA) at ~$15 a shirt. Their long sleeve waffle pattern/henley type shirts are really nice for cooler days. Not too tight and wick away most moisture. Plus they dry fairly quickly. Can't go wrong for the price. I also use some of their compression shirts under my outer layer for cycling and when I play hockey. Same thing. And I like that the wrists are a little loose, they don't cut off circulation like most of my UA stuff.
    As far as warmer weather shirts, I love UA Loose shirts in the Charged Cotton series. They wick plenty and don't give you that tight feel like the compression gear or the fitted series. Plus, when the shirt gets flapping in the wind a little, it makes you feel like you're going faster. lol