mtbr member

Umm..the brain surgeon has spoken.

Apparently useless to wear a helmet. I'm wearing mine tomorrow anyways.

Cycle helmets are useless, says brain surgeon - Telegraph
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    He is talking about road cycling. When our town wanted to pass a helmet law, we found that the statistics don't support the mandatory use of helmets. What we did find that bicycle accidents went way down when there are more cyclists out and about. So I don't support helmet laws and I almost always wear my helmet.

mtbr member

Umm..the brain surgeon has spoken.

I have to thank Giro for producing the Xen helmet. I crashed and hit a rock imbedded into the trail hard enough to crack the helmet in three places. I was able to ride out and home that day, with a real bad headache. I know getting hit by a car riding on the road would be worse but ill keep wearing my lid.

Perpetual n00b
    I crashed head first into a fallen tree 6 months ago. If I wasn't wearing my helmet, I would have been scalped. I had to replace that helmet. Road, mountain, whatever... I'm wearing my helmet.
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    That surgeon is a moron, helmet saved my scalp/brain more than once on my 3rd helmet it 2 yrs, always was able to ride the rest of the loop back to trailhead. No helmet = coming out on a stretcher.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Had one helmet save the top of my head from being scraped off on the road when I got cleaned up by a car a few years back, the top of the helmet was melted from the friction on the road. If I had no helmet on, I can imagine that the top of my head would have abraded down to my skull, a thought which still gives me the creeps to this day. It probably also saved me from a concussion as well, as not only was the outer melted, but the inner was cracked in 3 places. How does Mr Brain Surgeon expect me to believe that my helmet did nothing for my head?
    Nobody, brain surgeon or no, is going to ever convince that riding without a helmet is a good idea.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The surgeon bikes in cowboy hats and cowboy boots. He has fallen off his bike once in 30 years. (Hell, I've had a successful day if I only fall once.)

This sounds like an eccentric crackpot talking about a specific problem - people wearing crappy, cheap helmets that don't really protect you - and then the media reporting it as applicable to all helmets.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    People that don't wear the proper helmet

Name:  sign-up-button.png
Views: 646
Size:  31.0 KB
    ©

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I think the surgeon is specifically talking about vehicular accidents involving a bike. I'm no brain surgeon and I don't know rocket math but it sounds legit to me. The article is nothing but a sensation piece. If you don't wear a helmet you're risking greater injury in an accident.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm not taking a chance after I had unrelated surgery a few years ago. I went with a helmet with deeper coverage in the back to have the best chance I could of not having an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    I think the surgeon is specifically talking about vehicular accidents involving a bike. I'm no brain surgeon and I don't know rocket math but it sounds legit to me. The article is nothing but a sensation piece. If you don't wear a helmet you're risking greater injury in an accident.
    Henry Marsh, who works at St George’s Hospital in Tooting, London, said that many of his patients who have been involved in bike accidents have been wearing helmets that were ‘too flimsy’ to be beneficial.
    I'd like to know which flimsy helmets Marsh is talking about.

mtbr member
    I wonder if this guy was glad he had on a helmet?

Save Jesus
    I've crashed a few times while wearing a helmet, but never landed on my head. By this line of reasoning, wearing helmets prevents me from landing on my head. I guess that works too...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Wrong.

banned
    Nov 2012
    So do they teach stupidity at college ?

mtbr member
    I have a son and a daughter who were both saved from serious injury or death by wearing helmets when they were young. I've never been in an accident, but I wear a seatbelt. I've never been in a serious avalanche, but when I ski back country, I bring a shovel, transceiver, etc.