Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Ultimate mtb cycling backpack?

HI GUYS,

What a great site. Im studying industrial design at school, and have been asked to design the ultimate cycling backpack for XC/MTB racing. I live in Australia, so heat dispersion is important, as well as hydration and comfort. What about you guys,....What do you think is important in a bag and what is missing from the current range?

All of your comments are very much appreciated.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    When I road my motorcycle, most backpacks were the same, but the feature I liked most was a helmet holder on the backpack which eliminated the need to carry one's helmet, leave it attached to the bike or have a very large helmet bag or large backpack just to keep from carrying my helmet in hand.

I think I created a run-on sentence.....sorry....

trail projectile

Love my Ergon BC2.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Wingnut Hyper 2.5. Super well ventilated, really stable in rough terrain, accessible without getting it off your back, more comfortable than most other packs. You can carry a helmet and even some armour on it.

Hard to imagine improving that design at all for an Australian summer. Unless you replaced the side mesh pockets with stubby holders.

(Ergon BC2 is pretty good too, but I still prefer the Wingnut)

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    Something breathable, light weight, has water bladder and have carry options for both full face and regular helmets. Or how about a dedicated MTB pack for DSLRs with above features. I'll buy one in a heart beat.

mtbr member
    Combine the attributes of the small cap. Deuter Attack (relatively thin plastic plate -protection, but also gives stability, padding blocks-as-venting), along with the new shaped (like Wingnut) Camelbak Charge or Volt (better respective center of gravity, corresponding shaped & place bladder, thin but tough ripstop nylon to keep weight down). As for helmet carrying capability; many easy strap/flap orientations to take care of a rather low priority element. If this is all too confusing, pull up images and specs of mentioned packs and envision the wedding of both.

Good luck!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Must be able to fit a 6pack of beer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^ haha, actually yes for me that is a requirement (holding a 6 pack of beer) and I will carry beer...but i am using a generic backpack.

Material is going to be important as it must be able to hold up. Cheap walmart backpacks tend to fall apart from all the sweat that is absorbed.

I like areas where I can secure my wallet and keys, as in a secure pocket inside another one. For keys i like something that I can clip my keys into.

Generally I just like lots of pockets. Like the ability to store tubes separately in a way where they won't get damaged.

I go on a lot of long rides so I tend to carry a lot of stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

nice to have a compartment just for shoes. mine are usually muddy and it would be nice to have them sealed off from rest of pack.

maybe have one compartment for shoes and other wet dirty items that is sealed off from the rest of the backpack, but is mesh on the outer wall so the stuff can breath/dry.

mtbr member
    I agree that the only thing my camelbak is missing is a serious way to store keys and wallet...mostly keys. I can put them in the deepest back pocket, but that's inconvenient. I typically have my other zippered pockets too full to store my keys, so they end up in the shallow unzippered pocket with little protection. A lock of some sort would be nice

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I like my Camelbak Lobo. Holds a few necessary items, but not enough room for a 6 pack!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This just happened to me and my walmart backpack. It was only a small pocket so no biggie...but still.....materials and quality!!

Ultimate mtb cycling backpack?-backpackfail.jpg

troll
    Osprey already makes several lines of the ultimate mtb/cycling backpacks!

I'm using the Camelbak charge for most of my trail riding. It's super lightweight and compact. Plus it has a good amount of pockets and storage to carry all your gear.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

pin it
    I have an older camelback m.u.l.e for trail riding. Holds 3 liters of water, Lots of compartments to hold tools, first aid kit, extra clothing, etc,

I use a camel back minimalist for dh. Small and light, Offers some spine protection too
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Rider

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I like my Ergon BC-2, with some caveats, especially lack of internal pockets to hold tools and pumps so that they are easily accessible. My friends make fun of me when I use it. It's been nicknamed "The Kitchen Sink", I use it when I am concerned about being a long way from the trailhead. I think it could also use some pockets on the waist belt for GUs/snacks. I often use a cell phone add on pocket on the shoulder strap for a camera.

My other pack is a camelbak Lobo, which doesn't carry as much and lacks the Ergon Flink system, which is great for both comfort and protection. It's lighter and has better internal pockets.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    got the Osprey Raptor 14 and have to say that it is an awesome backpack tailor made for mountain biking. I had a CB Mule for 7 years and the Osprey is night and day better.
    To be fair, I haven't looked at the Dakine packs but they look pretty good as well. Good luck

mtbr member
    +1 osprey raptor 14. The water blader is flat so it feels very similer full or empty. 3Liters.

The back of the pack is solid so bulky items dont morph it, the back also has deep heat chanels to keep air circulating(i miss my camel back sweat stains )

The bite valve has a magnet to keep it out of the way while staying accesable

Two stuff pockets (very awesome lots of good uses)

Those are the big things for me other smaller bonuses are a scratch resistant pocket for cell phones tool pouch with removable tool bag that rolls up. Hip pockets that ziper shut. And bike part specific pockets(tall skinny for a pump spare tube pouch)

Sweet pack

Workin for the weekend!
    Camelbak M.U.L.E. over here, enough room for,the seasonal gear or a lunch for a day long epic... Also have a 3L classic for hot days on the hustle...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robin_hood View Post
    Interesting shape, the anterior looks top-heavy, yet not so bad posterior. (Makes Duthie -the place, somewhat more prestigious, yet not AM in distance, unless I am missing something.) I had a look at the CB Charge 2013, and guess the Volt just being larger, seems nice, and I like the priorities in design. Hopefully the stitching is strong, and zippers up for the long haul.

Hey Niko84, you gonna remember us all if your Industrial Design project goes all the way? What's that?

mtbr member

Ortlieb!

I have been commuting with an Ortlieb Packman Pro 2 this spring and love it so much I plan to take it on some mtb adventures this summer.

It's spacious (I actually buy 6ers at the store with it all the time) has a H2o bladder holder/routing, has gear loops, is 100% waterproof (so DSLR friendly if you're out in bad weather) and has external helmet lashing (although not large enough for a full face).

I think it's a tremendous platform on which you could improve upon with a few more bells and whistles

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Vaude Hyper Air 14+3. It's expandable to 17 liters if you need the extra space by a zipper. The vented back panel has great airflow, similar to Deuter. Only negative is the bladder that comes with it is cheap so I use Playtpus.
    agmtb

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Camelbak Volt 13 LR

Tested: Camelbak Volt LR Hydration Pack « Mountain Flyer Magazine

Best feature for me ?
    The water sits down low on my back, stays still......

Second best feature,,, belt pockets also down low..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Oakley makes a nice rugged line of backpacks. They are quite comfortable, with plenty of storage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast