mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Tripple Seoul Helmet Mounted

I just completed another step in this build and that was mounting the led's to the heatsink with AA, soldering, and testing with my bench power supply. I ordered some different driver boards from Kiadomain and DX but appearently these places aren't that reliable. Seems they lose orders or run out of stock just before filling my order. Would you expect anything else service wise from China? Anyway, I got some boards from Taskled in about four days after placing my order, Thank you George, You Da Man. I ran them up to 800mA and was still able to hold it in my hand and I'm sure I can push more current at least when I'm racing down the ski slopes or fire roads. The heatsink was made by using a hole saw to cut a disc out of aluminum then I drilled out a 3/8" center hole, spun it on the drill press to shape it to fit perfectly inside the TurboCat Pod, then drove a copper plug into it. So the center is copper which is a good thermal transfer metal. I'm going to use AA to secure the heatsink into the TurboCat Pod and probably just pot the nFlex and mount it behind the Pod onto the helmet mounting bracket, which should help it to run cooler too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mofoki; 12-15-2007 at 08:32 AM.

I spelled Knievel wrong
    Pretty sweet mofoki!

I like the fact that you are using the stock T-cat bezel. I couldn't pull that off with the MR-11 3-Cree setup from Cutter, (but it gave me an excuse to make cool finned ones). How much heavier is your setup than the stock T-cats? A solid aluminum cone with a 3/8 copper core has to be a good bit heavier than stock, although it will be good for heatsinking.

Take some beamshots please! I want to see what the Seoul beam pattern looks like compared to my Cree T-cats. Keep it up man!

Stevel

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'd take some outdoor beam shots but it's colder than my wife right now and believe me she's cold. Anyway, I have a tripple Cree setup that I ran against this Seoul TurboCat pushing 1amp into both and the Seoul seemed like a brighter like but the Cree tripple is a mag mod and uses a 50mm tripple lense in a medium pattern, plus the Crees are a natural white. I should have used the bright white leds in that build but it's still bright. This Seoul TurboCat has more of a spot pattern but it looks like the outside edges are jaggid not smooth. I think reflectors would have done a better job but then reflectors won't fit so it's a case of limited options and having to settle for what's available.On the upside this thing is still light weight. Most of the low end halogen systems on the market weigh more. My plus is I don't need that heavy battery to run this light and I've increased my run time to more than four hours.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Nice looking build. It should be a great light for you. Looking forward to some beamshot comparisons.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

Members who have read this thread: 0