mtbr member

Tri Shoes for XC Race?

I'm not sure if the search function has failed me or I failed the search function but I have not found any relative discussion on this subject. I'm in the market for a light weight comfortable and most importantly well ventilated and cool cycling shoe for the summer. I am a pretty hot natured guy and I have 8 races left in the series I have already pre-registered for. Im not 100% sure if there's anything specific about Tri shoes that makes them not work well for XC. Usualy when I think of Tri gear, words like jarring, stiff, teeth gnashing and generaly uncomfortable come to mind. I tried on a pair of Specialized Trivent Terras and they seemed fine. Is there any problem with long trail riding or XC Race in Tri shoes? Has any one else tried this? Pros / Cons?

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by austinTRON View Post
    I'm not sure if the search function has failed me or I failed the search function but I have not found any relative discussion on this subject. I'm in the market for a light weight comfortable and most importantly well ventilated and cool cycling shoe for the summer. I am a pretty hot natured guy and I have 8 races left in the series I have already pre-registered for. Im not 100% sure if there's anything specific about Tri shoes that makes them not work well for XC. Usualy when I think of Tri gear, words like jarring, stiff, teeth gnashing and generaly uncomfortable come to mind. I tried on a pair of Specialized Trivent Terras and they seemed fine. Is there any problem with long trail riding or XC Race in Tri shoes? Has any one else tried this? Pros / Cons?
    If I'm not mistaken, most tri shoes are designed for three bolt road cleats. Thus, you cannot run mtb cleats on a tri shoe.

With that said, I raced against a dude in college who was more of a roadie but wanted to try mtn biking. He did pretty solid using tri shoes and road pedals.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    The Trivent Terra is SPD compatible. It's also got a lining in it so you can wear it sockless. I actually had trench foot at one point that left me with distorted sweat glands that make my feet sweat more than average. The idea of being able to ride sockless sounds amazing, but also makes me wonder if it will cause blisters.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by austinTRON; 05-01-2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Add picture