mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Tread interference on new candy 3s

After being convinced by the bf of the benefits of clipless riding I recently purchased a pair of new Pearl Izumi Alp X Seek 4WRX shoes

Women's X-Alp Seek IV WRX - Pearl Izumi

which I was going to use for trailriding along with my newly purchased Crankbrothers Candy 3s. I am new to clipless riding and these are my first clipless gear. I install the pedals and cleats following the instructions to a tee but was surprised at how difficult it was to clip in. I used the shims included in the set to improve cleat contact with the pedals but it was still a pain to get the shoe in. I've a few reviews about the candy 3s that describe the same issues and suggested trimming the shoes to reduce tread interference but I really would prefer not to do that.

Have any of you guys experienced this issue. Are there other fixes other than grinding away on the shoe tread?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by TikiGoddess View Post
    After being convinced by the bf of the benefits of clipless riding I recently purchased a pair of new Pearl Izumi Alp X Seek 4WRX shoes

Women's X-Alp Seek IV WRX - Pearl Izumi

which I was going to use for trailriding along with my newly purchased Crankbrothers Candy 3s. I am new to clipless riding and these are my first clipless gear. I install the pedals and cleats following the instructions to a tee but was surprised at how difficult it was to clip in. I used the shims included in the set to improve cleat contact with the pedals but it was still a pain to get the shoe in. I've a few reviews about the candy 3s that describe the same issues and suggested trimming the shoes to reduce tread interference but I really would prefer not to do that.

Have any of you guys experienced this issue. Are there other fixes other than grinding away on the shoe tread?
    More shims and/or the shoe shields
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks! I will try that out and see if this solves the problem. In the meantime-- i found this video on youtube about these same shoes and shoe shields/shims for others that might encounter the same issue.

Crank Brothers Shoe Shields with Time Pedals - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by TikiGoddess View Post
    Thanks! I will try that out and see if this solves the problem. In the meantime-- i found this video on youtube about these same shoes and shoe shields/shims for others that might encounter the same issue.

Crank Brothers Shoe Shields with Time Pedals - YouTube
    Another idea, since you are new to clipless. Swap your new cleats for somebody else's partly worn cleats. The worn cleats are easier to clip in and get out. I have been using Crank Bros pedals for many years and always notice the difference in effort when I replace cleats.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I heard the cleats do need to break in before they get comfortable at clipping in and out. Thanks for that tip. I will try it and see if it helps.

troll
    I've almost always had to trim a little bit of the tread in order to get a good, easy clip in / clip out. There's already a big hole cut out in the tread for the cleat, so what's a little more going to hurt? Usually it just involves shaving down, or tapering some of the surrounding treads in the shoe...

Quote Originally Posted by brokebike View Post
    I've almost always had to trim a little bit of the tread in order to get a good, easy clip in / clip out. There's already a big hole cut out in the tread for the cleat, so what's a little more going to hurt? Usually it just involves shaving down, or tapering some of the surrounding treads in the shoe...
    I have used CB pedals and several other brands with dozens of different shoes and have never modified the tread. Only used shims because as the sole wears down I can remove shims to maintain proper shoe/pedal contact. Adding material to the tread is tougher to do. ShoeGoo works for that but is inconsistent, does not last very well, and lacks traction.
    mtbtires.com

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by brokebike View Post
    Not to be a jerk Shiggy, but I have also had this experience on some cheat installs I've done. Ocassionally no amount of shims can save you from interference. I would rather trim a little tread than pedal with a quarter inch of shims under my foot anyway.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Success! I managed to scavange off some extra shims from my bf's old cleat kit that he's not using and layered 2 shims each per shoe. After the installation I tried clipping in the shoes and it managed to clip in with more ease than it did without the shims. I am still going to have to test it with actual riding before I decide to trim any shoe (if I need to). But all your points are well taken and I guess it just takes different approaches to solve this issue. Afterall, there is more than one way to skin a cat?! right?
    I'm hard yet soft, I am coloured yet clear, I am fruity and sweet. I am jelly. What am I?