never ender

Toe covers/booties for big shoes?

I wear a 48 or 49 cycling shoe, and I'm having a hard time finding some kind of winter shoe cover that fits. Most everything out there seems to be designed for road shoes, and won't fit over a mountain shoe's tread, or just plain doesn't come in a big enough size. And my toes have been freezing on every ride lately.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Hi, I hear ya. Just today I stopped by my lbs to check out some riding bike gore pants and jackets and they're all too short.

As far as shoes, I wear a 48 (specialized mtb shoe) and I've had luck with two different types of shoe covers. The first one is a simple Gore Bike Wear slip that just slips over the toes of the shoe to over the airflow spots to keep your feet dry/warmer. It's not much but it does help. They'll last about a season or two.
    The second one I found is a XXL Pearl Izumi (Barrrier) neoprene boot cover that slips over your entire shoe and closes in the back. It has a cut out on the bottom for your clips.

Good luck to ya and stay warm.

mtbr member
    My .02.... Suck it up and buy some winter shoes. You will spend a bit more, but they will last forever. The little booties will tear up fairly quickly...

I just got some Pearl Izumi Barrier Shoes and they are super nice and toasty! Buy a few sizes bigger so you can put in some warm socks though!
    "Drive Drunk...Drive Fast!!!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I wear a size 48 or 49 too and I've had the same problem. I never really thought my feet were THAT big...a shop I go to regularly had some XXL Adidas Climaproof socks (I don't think they make them anymore), so I just bought those. They're pretty tight, so I just wear a pair of wool socks over them.

You'll have better luck finding warm, windproof socks than you will shoe covers that actually fit.

the air is thin up here..

mtbr member
    I recently bought a pair of these in a size 50 and found that even with these my feet still got cold, but with a pair of covers I've been riding at sub zero temps no problem. The covers made a huge difference.

http://brandscycle.com/product/lake-...hoes-18136.htm

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302692723