mtbr member
    Feb 2013

TLD KG5450 - sizing guide? tips?

hi, I want to mail order the TLD KG5450 knee/shin guards. Not too sure on sizing though. I am 6"0 weigh 167 lbs. I could fit either an S or an M in these. Based on the rider weight recommendation i should opt for the size M, yet based on my expereince most things size S fit me, especially lower part of my body as I have chicken legs and size 30 waist. Should I opt for the size S or stay with size M? if I were to order anything else from TLD it would fit into size S category yet based on the KG5450 sizing, it says size M as it is for riders between 140-180 Lbs.
    Any suggestions on the fit? should I go a size smaller and they will stretch or should i stick to the size M without worrying that they will start slipping?

thanks.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I recently did the same math. The pads are awesome, but my take is to get the smallest size you can reasonably fit. I typically wear large knee pads, but ordered M in the 5450s and they're perfect.

Competent User

I have a set in medium. I'm 5'10" with not skinny, but not huge legs, and they fit alright and don't slip. However, I always get the sense that the kneepad part, the plastic feels too small and that I should have gotten the large. Since then, I picked up some POC knee pads over the winter, and will be using those instead, for the better side of the knee. Coverage.

My impression of the TLD pads is that they're just OK and not great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have been wearing the TLD 5400s on every ride for over a year, they tend to slide a little a bit in a crash, but have for sure saved my knees and I find them to be super comfortable and have held up well. I'm 5'8 and have the medium ones, really you need to measure your calf and above the knee to get the right size.

There's a size chart on here: Troy Lee Designs KG 5450 Knee/Shin Guards (Pair)

You might want to consider the Leatt 3DF knee pads that just came out too, look similar to the TLD ones but with some enhancements, they have a nice wicking material at the back and a strap on the top, although they don't go down as far down the shin as the ones you are interested in.

Enduro | LeattŪ - Engineered for Performance. Protective Sports Gear

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    another question i have is the lenght difference between the size S and size M. will the Size M provide more coverage or are they all the same lenght except the fit is tighter on the size S? I am 6" tall so not sure if the size S will come up too short on my shins, however, in terms of fit I feel the Size S would probably be better as I have very skinny legs.

Competent User

Honestly if you're that worried that your legs are too skinny, you might want to look into something with adjustable straps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    yeah, I would, the thing is, I have store credit for 60 dollars at a local shop and want to use it. However, I am getting my parents to pick it up for me as I am living in Europe now. The shop doesnt have much other selection except more freeride-DH which is too much for my needs.