mtbr member
    Nov 2013

TLD A1 fit? Run big or small?

I am looking to get a TLD A1 however I am right in between a S and M on size chart. My LBS only has an XL/XXL. Anyone have this helmet and does it run small or a bit large? Do people like this helmet? They have yet to do a review on this helmet here. Bell runs a bit large on me and the fox feels tight in certain spots.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Had exactly the same question a month ago. Prior to a1 I had Bell Super, which indeed runs large. My head measures between 56.5 to 58 cm, depends on the temps, and the way I measure it. I got Medium 56-58, which fits me like a glove, i.e. I'd say it runs true to size. I like this helmet much much more than the Bell Super, because of the superb snug feeling, and huge coverage that it gives me.

Super vs A1 - A1 has slightly more coverage, it sits deeper on the head. The build quality is slightly better on A1. Also, there is a thing, that I hated on the Super and absolutely love on A1 - the padding on Super attached through the plastic band of the retention system. Which means that every time you want to take it out for washing (after every ride), you have to pop out the retention system. Every such popping I was nervous I might break it, and then it's just pile of crap for me, since I don't have Bell dealer in the country. In A1 the padding is attached without the need to pop things.

Trail Ninja
    I'm 57-58cm and found the M/L shell of the A1 to be humongous coming off of a Fox Flux, but the inner retention system felt like it fit like a glove. Seemed very protective, at least. I haven't tried the smaller size. My Fox's fit feels inadequate now, but I'm riding with it regardless, and complementing it with a FF when I need coverage.