mtbr member

Time for new shoes, Rime or ?

I've been wearing a pair of Specialized Tahoe shoes for 3 seasons and they're getting kind of beat. I've decided it's time for some new shoes. I'm very interested in the Specialized Rimes, I like the actually rubber sole, and I know how Specialized shoes fit my feet. Is there any other shoes similar to the Rime? Most mountain biking shoes seem to have virtually no tread or two spikes, I won't lie I walk sometimes. I'm looking for something SPD compatible and reasonably stiff, I don't need or want full on race shoes. It seems like shoes with actually tread would be more popular in mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Saw these at my LBS, and been considering it myself:

Bob Bike Shop | SCOTT MTB-Shoes Trail Boa 2011 black | MTB Shoes

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I sound like a broken record as I always have the same answer to this question - check Specialized website in the sale area and if they have your size pick up the Trail 110 shoes. They fit your criteria with the added benefit of reaching above the ankle for more protection from rock scrapes and fewer pebbles in your shoe. They are on sale and the best deal going IMO.

mtbr member
    The sole on those Trail 110s is still a bit more race shoe than I want. The Rime and that Scott shoe are more what I'm going for. The Scott seems to go to a 47 on the site, I usually wear a 48.

mtbr member
    Can anybody comment on the Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes? Look more like what I want but I'm concerned the soles aren't stiff enough.

X-Alp Footwear

X-Alp Footwear