mtbr member
    Oct 2006

is there a sticky light XC "racing" no SPD/clip shoe?

im done with being clipped in... i rode with platform pedals/nikes for the first time and rode way better in the technical stuff.. super fun!

but i do still want to enter a few Sport class races and dont want a heavy shoe.. the 5-10 Stealth soles sound awesome for grip..but they all look pretty bulky..their Kestrel isnt out yet...has anybody resoled a true light stiff mtn bike shoe with their Stealth resole kit? or am i on the wrong track altogether? all i know im pulling wheelies and flying down the ST all cause i now can instantly dab and put a foot out!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Bump. I am also interested in the idea of resoling with stealth rubber. However, I think that the resole kits are only for C4 rubber, which is for climbing and might not be they optimal for mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    Bump. I am also interested in the idea of resoling with stealth rubber. However, I think that the resole kits are only for C4 rubber, which is for climbing and might not be they optimal for mountain biking.
    what shoe would you resole? i have a 661 Expert shoe thats totally stiff..i wondr what that would be like cleatless with sticky 5-10 rubbber? (C4 might work fine.. is it just thinner?)

Picture Unrelated
    What about a shoe like the Teva Links or just a BMX shoe? If you have decent pedals you'll get good grip from just about any shoe.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    cause i climb ALOT... i dont think i want a shoe that flexs when putting down the meager power output my legs do... and then i want to not be clipped in when the course turns to steep downhill switchbacks single track...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by frank6262 View Post
    cause i climb ALOT... i dont think i want a shoe that flexs when putting down the meager power output my legs do... and then i want to not be clipped in when the course turns to steep downhill switchbacks single track...
    ("racing") Stiff soles and platform pedals generally do not work well together, even with a sticky tread. Part of the shoe/pedal grip interface is how the shoe bends around the pedal body. Too stiff and the foot comes off easily.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    that sound logical.... any recommendations for light semi-stiff XC platform shoe?
    thanks...

bog
    mtbr member
    Shimano makes some nice, somewhat slimmer than fiveten, flat soled shoes. I'm using some AM40 shoes and really like them. They actually have inserts for the sole that allows you to customize the stiffness. I run the stiffer insert and really like it.
    SC Tallboy C : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9070

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Specialized Tahoe

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    you should really check out the Teva Links. I ride xc with them paired with wellgo mg-1 platforms and never slip even when riding in mudd and wet trails. They have a stiff sole too great for climbing link in your races. Super durable shoe and fairly light check um out best platform pedal shoe i have rode