mtbr member
    May 2013

Are there any kind of sleeves that are not armor but would help when crashing?

I wrecked my mountain bike a few days ago and tore one arm up pretty bad. Is there anything made that might help with abrasions? While it's still pretty bad I just wanted to keep it covered so it doesn't get infected.

Any ideas of anything that might help besides not crashing?

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Race Face Charge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannas View Post
    I wrecked my mountain bike a few days ago and tore one arm up pretty bad. Is there anything made that might help with abrasions? While it's still pretty bad I just wanted to keep it covered so it doesn't get infected.

Any ideas of anything that might help besides not crashing?
    Polysporin, gauze and a tensor bandage will keep the dirt out and keep it from getting infected.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    G-form elbow pads

mtbr member
    I second the G Form. Crashed Sunday landing on my elbows and while the base layer and three quarter sleeve kept the abrasions to fabric burns rather than cuts it still chewed up my arms. Got some G Form elbow and knee pads that night. Crashed yesterday (riding a task that is pushing my skill level) and landed on the same elbows didn't feel a thing.

For your current cuts, gauze wrapped with coban works for me.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Long sleeve compression shirt...or just compression sleeves.

mtbr member
    For skin wounds (road rash, dirt burns, etc.) I use a poultice of calendula added to shea butter. Apply to wound and cover with a clean cotton bandage (think cloth baby diaper). Gauze sticks to wounds like crazy, in my experience. I use cloth athletic tape to hold the bandage on and an old sock, with the toe cut out, to keep it all in place. Change the dressing and clean the wound with mild soap and water, often. After the wound has healed, I use high quality sesame or olive oil to mitigate scarring.

No advice on pads, though. Arm/elbow pads bug me too much to bother with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My kid says gauze is for cleaning wounds and removing blood from fresh wounds., not dressing them. Use the gauze to absorb the blood until it clots. When the gauze becomes saturated, DON'T remove it. Instead, put more on top.

Once bleeding stops, then get rid of the bloody gauze and apply a dressing. If it is small enough for an adhesive strip bandage use one. Some have adhesive all around the pad; others just on the end flaps. The former will keep dirt out.

If the wound is too big for an adhesive strip, use a pad dressing. This is different from gauze. If possible use something like Tender Tape to secure it. Tender Tape sticks to itself, not to you and is flexible. If the wound is not where it can be wrapped, use adhesive tape.

mtbr member
    Don't put dry gauze on a wound. That's what the polysporin is for - to keep the wound from getting infected and the gauze doesn't stick to it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com