mtbr member

TDF Didn't Require Bike Helmets?

anyone catch the segments during today's tdf coverage when they were reliving Lance's 6 previous tour victories? the thing that really stuck out in my mind was that during the majority of the clips from 99 through 2002, lance and the other riders were racing WITHOUT bike helmets. was this always the case? have they now changed the rules to make helmet wearing a requirement? it seems kind of crazy that he and the others didnt wear protection on those damn skittish road bikes at 60+ mph...

mtbr member
    no helmet ONLY if the stage ended with a climb over a certian length. Lance put the hurt on quite a few people over the past 7 years in stages like that hence the large number of clips.
    b

Slowest Rider

Yes, Helmets are required!

The helmets are not required on certain steep climbs, as mentioned by brianc, where the rider is going so slow there's not much chance of getting hurt (in the head, I mean - of course you're going to hurt trying to follow Lance) and more cooling is critical. Up to that point in the race, helmets are required. You see all the riders tossing their helmets to the side of the road at the start of the last sick climb, that the team cars can come and hopefully find later. (It's only a minor expense if the helmet is lost or grabbed by a spectator).

Starting last year, there was a big problem with the time trial helmets, used mostly for reducing wind resistance, also now being required to officially meet strict crash safety requirements. If you watch the Lance chronicles on OLN, you'd see an episode where the helmets have to be shipped all over the world to be safety tested and rated in time for the race. They also spend a lot of effort in helmet design getting wind resistance down, while still getting lots of cooling into Lance's head. Lance commented once on how much bigger and fatter the time trial helmets got with the safety rating.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Trail rider and racer
    Didn't the UCI ruling change only recently as in prior to the beginning of last years tour. Correct me if I am wrong, but preceding the changes helmets could be worn only if you wanted to - now its almost always (exception being the hill finish rule or whatever you want to call it).
    Trev!

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Didn't the UCI ruling change only recently as in prior to the beginning of last years tour. Correct me if I am wrong, but preceding the changes helmets could be worn only if you wanted to - now its almost always (exception being the hill finish rule or whatever you want to call it).
    Up to last year's Tour, helmets, mandatory for Pros for a few years, could be discarded on all mountain top finishes. With this year's UCI Pro Tour rules helmets cannot be discarded for mountain top finishes. It was creating chaos at the start of the climb.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Up to last year's Tour, helmets, mandatory for Pros for a few years, could be discarded on all mountain top finishes. With this year's UCI Pro Tour rules helmets cannot be discarded for mountain top finishes. It was creating chaos at the start of the climb.
    i was wondering why they were still wearing their helmets on some of the mountain top finishes.

back to OP - helmets were not mandatory, thus most pro riders didn't use them, until about 2 years ago.

on a side note: i'ld also like to see TD support george more in the spring classics. maybe a first at P-R this year. for all the work he's done to help lance win all his tours, he's about due for some quality support.
    Last edited by moschika; 07-24-2005 at 08:14 PM.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    oh my gosh! no!!!!
    what about the children who are watching!?!?!?

one question? who cares?
    wait, no, two questions... why do you care?

do you cut your bagels with a safety glove on?
    do you descend staircases without a safety line on the rail?
    do you hang christmas tree lights by yourself?

the most important question...

have you EVER stood on the top run of a ladder?!?!?!

i'm telling mom!
    Last edited by Padre; 07-24-2005 at 11:27 PM.

jl
    climb
    Padre,

You might be poking a little fun, but the race that Big George won in honor of Casartelli's death--might just in fact be the reason that everyone must wear a helmet...

I think Lance and George would of supported helmets back then, if it meant Fabio would still be here racing his bike...
    Ride On!

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

I seem to recall

Quote Originally Posted by jl
    Padre,

You might be poking a little fun, but the race that Big George won in honor of Casartelli's death--might just in fact be the reason that everyone must wear a helmet...

I think Lance and George would of supported helmets back then, if it meant Fabio would still be here racing his bike...
    that it was said that his death would have occurred with or without a helmet based on how he hit what he hit while traveling at the speed he was going. But, I may be wrong too.

YR

rolling in the greens

Correct

Quote Originally Posted by YETIRYDER
    I seem to recall
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jl
    Padre,

that it was said that his death would have occurred with or without a helmet based on how he hit what he hit while traveling at the speed he was going. But, I may be wrong too.
    the helmet would not have saved fabio, i have the picture to prove it however i will not post it here....its very disturbing. But it was a world-publized event and a major sadness swept through the cycling world. So what if maybe it wouldn't have saved him...an inch this way or that way and it could have or will save the next guy to crash on those nasty roads....(ever try going 50+ mph on a road bike on dirt roads?, we do it up here in VT, sketchy indeed. ....

soooo helmets in the peleton equate to helmets on your average joe biker...maybe a few lives saved....a lot of bux made by the helmet mfgrs.....i have 3 cracked helmets hanging in my work area, these helmets all had my head in them when they were cracked....enuff said....
    Keith Bontrager: "Strong, light, cheap pick any two."

"Something strong and light ain't gonna be cheap. -That's what I call bling.

And cheap and strong ain't gonna be light. -That ain't bling."
    -----[SIZE=3]locoman
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]"That said, I never deal with bike shops for the same reasons. I am a ebay and mail order whore and I don't care"[/SIZE] -----[SIZE=3]yetisurly[/SIZE]

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    Padre,

You could be right.
    Still, protecting one's own self seems like it should be the responsibility of the individual.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    You could be right.
    Still, protecting one's own self seems like it should be the responsibility of the individual.
    I just hope you will never be in the case of pulling out of the woods a buddy of yours with a head injury... or that your biddiess will never have to take you out.

Is not funny and helmets start at 20 bucks. A 20 bucks helmet allowed a friend of mine to get out of the woods by himslef. His helmet got banged though.

Helmets rule and promoting its use is a good thing. While it might not save your life per se, good chances are for it to do it.
    Check my Site

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by vermont
    the helmet would not have saved fabio, i have the picture to prove it however i will not post it here....its very disturbing. But it was a world-publized event and a major sadness swept through the cycling world. So what if maybe it wouldn't have saved him...an inch this way or that way and it could have or will save the next guy to crash on those nasty roads....(ever try going 50+ mph on a road bike on dirt roads?, we do it up here in VT, sketchy indeed. ....

soooo helmets in the peleton equate to helmets on your average joe biker...maybe a few lives saved....a lot of bux made by the helmet mfgrs.....i have 3 cracked helmets hanging in my work area, these helmets all had my head in them when they were cracked....enuff said....
    Saved his life (?) maybe--maybe not... But it did have an influence on the UCI rules.

http://www.bhsi.org/timesart.htm
    Ride On!

Your Customer Sales Rep
    I think Kivilev's death was a major catalyst for helmet-wearing. It only makes sense, IMHO. The Cofidis team doctor said that a helmet might have saved the rider's life.

"The point of impact was right where the helmet should have been," said the doctor. "If Andrei had had a helmet his injuries would have been less serious."
    You be you. I'll be riding.

mtbr member
    You could be right.
    This is kind of the Catch 22. On the one hand, it's a personal decision. On the other, these are professional athletes who many look up to. Not getting into the "do helmets save life" debate, I think it sends a good message.

Your Customer Sales Rep
    You could be right.
    If that were true, paramedics, search & rescue crews and trauma physicians would be given the option of deciding whether or not to help. Unfortunately as Warp2003 pointed out ... if an individual ends up with a preventable injury the cost of their neglect is borne by others (doctors, rescusers, their family etc). D.
    You be you. I'll be riding.