Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Switching from Lycra to Baggies

OK. I think I'm ready to switch to baggies.

I'd like some advice from riders that either wear both or switched from lycra to baggies.

I've only worn baggies once and the experience left something to be desired. They were Primal shorts that I got dirt cheap (yeah...I know) at a race. The pad sucked...the shorts chaffed my legs...and I'd thought I was going to die when one of the legs hooked onto the back of my saddle as a launched a small jump. As it was.....I ended up with tread marks on my arse and couldn't walk right for a couple of days.

Soooo. I'm looking for suggestions on brands...models. I'd like something that isn't too hot for summer use.

Thanks Homers!

Anytime. Anywhere.

Oakley

I have a couple of pairs of Oakley's and they were pretty good but 1 chamios was worn out so I cut the lining out and wear the outer over a pair of bibs. I really prefer bibs with outer shorts for the comfort and versatility. On long hot climbs I'll take the outers off and put them on for the decent to save the $$$ bibs from crash damage. It's nice to have pockets too.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

not so super...
    I like the Nema stuff. The Crown Jewel and the Stone are really nice IMO. I still have a pair of Jewels in my rotation that are 3 yrs old and they still function great.
    Nothing to see here.

No, that's not phonetic
    Yes! DON"T DO IT!

Well, what i mean is, don't buy baggies with a sewn-in liner. They all suck imo. The only way to go is to wear the old shorts you know and love (I only wear bib shorts, personally) and then I toss some riding-specific baggy shell shorts over them. Here is a great place to start: the Pearl Izumi Otis short. They come without a liner, they are satin-y inside to slide over your lycra riding shorts, and the cut is pretty decent.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Team Sanchez
    I highly recommend the Fox High Frequency short. I"ve been using them for over 2 years now, and they are the most comfortable, and have the more durable chamois. I also highly recommend any baggies from Pearl Izumi. Just remember, when it comes to shorts, you get what you pay for. You will spend $80 or more on a good pair of shorts, and they will last you a year or so.

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Prod...=26044111F.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Yes! DON"T DO IT!

Well, what i mean is, don't buy baggies with a sewn-in liner. They all suck imo.
    Ditto. I bought some fox shorts without liners and just wear 'em over the lycra. On the occasional epic ride, I've taken off the overshorts when it gets really hot, which is nice.

mtbr member
    Edit: Double post. Sorry.
    Last edited by DLine; 08-30-2005 at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    Wussies!!!!

Let me get this straight, responding purely to peer pressure,(or modesty?) y'all go out and buy a second pair of shorts to wear over perfectly comfortable, nicely wickable, beuatifuly breathable, properly padded riding shorts, all so you can hook them on the nose of your seat and drag on your rear wheel?

Gaaaahhhh!

I'm gonna need some more convincing to understand this.
    Ah, this from the man who decorates his bike with gold bits for no other reason than the way it looks. Same thing, BZ. Besides, the outer shorts do provide some protection from mud/water/endos (but this is probably an excuse). I just let the temperature decide - if it's freaking hot, it's lycra. If it's not, I throw on the outer shorts.

My ass is nothing to behold anyway.

Lay off the Levers

And you all say *I'm* a slave to fashon?

Wussies!!!!

Let me get this straight, responding purely to peer pressure,(or modesty?) y'all go out and buy a second pair of shorts to wear over perfectly comfortable, nicely wickable, beuatifuly breathable, properly padded riding shorts, all so you can hook them on the nose of your seat and drag on your rear wheel?

Gaaaahhhh!

Faster is better, even when it's not.

Outcast
    Wussies!!!!

Gaaaahhhh!

I agree. I've tried baggies, I hate hooking them on the nose of the saddle, I don't care if my wearing traditional lycra shorts is offensive to some; get your own life. I like lycra shorts; they are functional, and comfortable

Bodhisattva
    Recent baggy convert here. Rode lycra until this season.

I've tried several different shorts from Pearl Izumi, Oakley, Fox & Nema.

The new Izumi Pearl Izumi Titan Short is by far the best I've come across. The shorts fit more snugly than most are tapered and I've yet to snag them on my saddle. The PI 3D liner is perfectly padded and is also mesh to make it breathable.

I didn't care at all for the Oakley & Fox shorts I tried, although I can't recall the model names.

The Nema Crown Jewel is OK, but too diaperish for my taste.
    Life....the original terminal illness

outclassed by his bike

Pant Rant

Yes! DON"T DO IT!

Well, what i mean is, don't buy baggies with a sewn-in liner. They all suck imo. The only way to go is to wear the old shorts you know and love (I only wear bib shorts, personally) and then I toss some riding-specific baggy shell shorts over them. Here is a great place to start: the Pearl Izumi Otis short. They come without a liner, they are satin-y inside to slide over your lycra riding shorts, and the cut is pretty decent.
    Okay, I give up. Why the overshorts? Is it purely a style thing? Is the lycra too revealing? Is it so that you don't rip the lycra when you crash? What tscheezy is describing is not switching to baggies, it's adding baggies.

Maybe it's another thing that I've become too much of an old fuddy-duddy to understand, like when my sister explained to me that the oh-so-attractive waistband of my teenage nephew's underwear was showing prominently in every family photo becuase "kids wear them that way on purpose."

I used to ride mostly with baggies (sewn-in liner, I confess), but now they mostly stay in the bureau drawer. They were comfortable enough, but they were all so big that they caught on the saddle - seldom, but with bad consequences, as the OP mentioned. Plus they are all cut so long these days that they make me look even shorter and scrawnier than I normally do. (Sign of hope: I saw Agassi on TV last night at the US Open and he was wearing regular old-fashioned no-more-than-halfway-to-the-knee tennis shorts, so maybe the pendulum is swinging back.) I can imagine adding the overshorts for some added wind protection and warmth when it's cold out.

Signed,
    The Old Fart

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for all of the quick replies.

BZ - While fashion may have a small part in all of this , my primary reason for considering baggies is Moab. Lycra hitting slickrock ain't a pretty sight. Riding back to the hotel with my nakid butt hanging out and bleeding isn't my idea of a fun afternoon, even if it will make for humorous photos All it takes is one fall on slickrock for lycra to disintegrate.

Nema - I've heard about those and will check them out

Baggies over Lycra - I like that idea. I can wear my comfortable lycra shorts and just get baggies....which can be removoed due to heat or if I just hate the baggies

Outcast
    I wear a pair of crash pads shorts for any riding that I anticipate I might take an unplanned exit. The advantages of lycra, with added protection.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Oakleys and the newer Fox shorts are nice, plenty of inseam length so the sewn-in doesn't ride up your butt or make you look like a 70's NBA player.

Shorts over lycras work too but only if your wearing cargo type shorts and a tee and going for the ghetto look, buying a $50-75 shell to go over your $50-75 nuthuggers could launch you into instant poser status I'm sure it works for you though tscheezy

Lookin for that extra can
    May 2004
    Yes! DON"T DO IT!

Agree... I've been wearing the Otis with the Ultra-sensor or Micro-sensor 3D lycras underneath. Pearl Izumi clothing rocks!! I liked the combo enough to cut out all the liners in my baggies and now I just use them as shells. The only downside is that when you are shifting up and down the saddle during a climb, the shells can get pulled down a bit.

Now, where are the Homer shorts??

--rip

mtbr member
    May 2004

Lycra and body armour is just too gay

I started adding baggies a la Tscheezy when I started wearing body armour coz lycra and armour just looks too Village People. I actually prefer it now and wear baggies even when on my hard tail minus armour. Its nice to have pockets and its more acceptable for post ride pub and cafe visits. I prefer the ones with a separate inner like Endura Humvees as the ones with the sewn in liners never fit snugly and when damp with sweat it feels like I'm wearing a nappy.

No, that's not phonetic
    I swing both ways, personally.

I ask you this though: how many of you who can't "understand" baggies still ride flat bars? After all they are lighter, can be made stronger at the same weight, and you can achieve the same bar height via stem choice?

Aqua is the real man. Flat bar on his 6" fork and lycra, BABY! Let your freak flag fly! Kudos to LycraFR too.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

I ask you this though: how many of you who can't "understand" baggies still ride flat bars? After all they are lighter, can be made stronger at the same weight, and you can achieve the same bar height via stem choice?

Aqua is the real man. Flat bar on his 6" fork and lycra, BABY! Let your freak flag fly! Kudos to LycraFR too.

CheeseMeister:

It's like this.... I have tried to embrace wearing baggies, really. I have about 5 pairs of high dig pairs that I have actually cut the liners out and wear my PI's underneath.

It has zip to do with fashion really. I'm the last guy around who should be wearing lycra.

I have had too many near death experiences getting caught up in those goddamn baggies. ARRRGH! Not to mention that riding in SoCal heat with a diaper on just doesn't enhance my riding experience.

If you have a problem where ya can't keep your eyes off of another guy's package or you somehow feel threatened, just deal with it.

The whole lycra vs baggies thing is so played out. Wear whatever F'n works for ya.

/rant off.
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 08-30-2005 at 11:54 AM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Outcast

I ask you this though: how many of you who can't "understand" baggies still ride flat bars?
    Nope.
    Lycra shorts, eight speed drivetrain, riser bars, flat pedals, the old fashion square tapered bottom bracket and 8 year old cranks. But then most of you have allready figured me as a freak anyway.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    I hope that wasn't necessarily directed at me as I do go bagless often. I was I think my point was actually the same as yours. Let your freak flag fly.

Nope, Not at all. Those threatened by the whole lycra thing in our little cyber world know who they are.

I forgot to preface my reply to you by saying - Thanks!
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 08-30-2005 at 12:12 PM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    CheeseMeister:

If you have a problem where ya can't keep your eyes off of another guy's package or you somehow feel threatened, just deal with it.

The whole lycra vs baggies thing is so played out. Wear whatever F'n works for ya.

/rant off.
    I hope that wasn't necessarily directed at me as I do go bagless often. I was I think my point was actually the same as yours. Let your freak flag fly.

Bite Me.

Oakley Ballistic 2.4s

Like others here, I tend to wear both baggies and lycra. Lycra obviously for road riding and racing the MTB, but for general trail riding I like the baggies for two reasons: the ability to stow gear in the pockets (camera, food, lighter) and for the added protection. I tend to fall more on the MTB, and having that extra layer of tough material is nice. My favorites are the Oakley Ballistic 2.4. These have plenty of pockets, a nice foam crash pad at the lower back of the short, excellent (really nice) chamois. and there are four vent zippers, two on the sides and two up front to control air flow. The only complaint I had is that they are too long, coming almost to the knee cap, but I simply had my local gear repair shop hem them up to a more comfortable length at mid thigh ($10 for two pairs) and viola. If you can find these baggies, I think they are the best for the money.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Ouch, I am hot!

Baggy Ball Huggers

Wussies!!!!

Gaaaahhhh!

I can address this. I wear baggies. 99% of the reason is fashion. Its a state of mind. I just like the look of baggies. Call me a pooftah, wussie, whatever. When I ride, I get into a feel. Call it a "state of mind" if you will. If the "state of mind" is off (out of sorts), I just don't feel right. For example, I once got this really goofy ugly helmet and red Sidis. I looked like a clown. Both the helmet, and particularly the red Sidis, were comfortable as hell. However, they negatively impacted my "state of mind", you know, my harmony, my flow, mojo... I couldn't get the image of a clown out of my mind.

An excellent ride, for me often means everything lines up just right. I flow and reach a state of mind outside myself. Ok, this is very deep schiznit. So what. I just ride better (or at least feel more in flow) in baggies, purely because of emotional reasons. There. I 100% concede that lycra is cooler and more comfortable.

My baggy ball huggers in order of preference:

1. Pearl Izumi Canyon - the most comfortable and coolest (talking temp.) baggy ball huggers I have had. A bit too baggy. Durable. Some do not like the liner design.

2. Oakley 2.1's - Very comfortable.

3. Nema Jewels - 2 pairs have lasted me about 4 years with almost no wear and tear. A bit hot and thick material.

4. Zoic - ok. These were cotton.

5. Azonic - very comfortable and cool, but the large was too small and the XL too big.

All baggies, except for the Pearl Izumis, have diaper syndrome. However, the syndrome is only an issue off the bike. On the bike, diaper syndrome goes away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I AM JUST A JERK

No, that's not phonetic
    The "loaded diaper" thing is what bugs me most about baggies with integrated liners, and "plumbers butt" comes in a close second. Also, most baggies come with some pretty low-quality chamois, so you are better off just putting something chic over your current stock of good "road" shorts, bibs always recommended.

It cracks me up what sorts of topics get people all a-tizzy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast