Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Sweat Buster Review

I don't know about y'all, but I sweat when I ride my mountain bike. In pretty much any weather, I'm used to those irritating beads of salty eye sting water falling from my helmet into my face.

So, when I heard about the Sweat Buster by Trax, I decided to try it.

Basically the Sweat Buster is a terrycloth (I think) padded insert that replaces the front pads of your helmet. It velcros in place and comes out easily to wash. It does interfere with the straps in my Giro helmet slightly, but with a little adjustment it fits well.

As advertised, this insert busts sweat. I took a client on two 4 hour rides over two days in moderate heat (73 or so with a bit of humidity) which would have normally been plenty to have me dripping sweat out of my helmet. I didn't get a single drop of sweat from my helmet. At all.

My only complaint is that the insert itches my forehead a little, but I'm sure it'll break in and my forehead will adapt.

Overall, I am SUPER satisfied with the Sweat Buster, and would recommend it to anyone who gets tired of drops of sweat in their eyes, mouth, glasses, beard, etc....
    ​mountain biking is fun.

mtbr member
    Sweating while riding??? What is wrong with you? Actually, you may have just remedied a consistent problem for me! Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by docter_zab View Post
    Overall, I am SUPER satisfied with the Sweat Buster, and would recommend it to anyone who gets tired of drops of sweat in their eyes, mouth, glasses, beard, etc....
    Thanks for the review. I'm running a TLD A-1 and I love everything about it EXCEPT it allows sweat to drip in my eyes and on my glasses. Looks like it may be a bit warm, but I may have to give it a try.

mtbr member
    I definitely think it's worth it!
    ​mountain biking is fun.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I love my sweat buster! I reviewed it and gave a follow up review as well somewhere in the forums. No more stinging/itchy sweat in my eyes and I don't notice it's even there. Only downside is that you have to rinse/wash it but since I wash riding clothes often its not an issue. Sometimes I just rinse it in the sink and wringe it out. Other times I just wear a couple times before washing.. Eww!

used to be RipRoar
    It was AWESOME to stumble across this thread!

Just to clarify the Sweat Buster is 100% Micro Fiber which is similar to terry but is able to absorb much more liquid. Its always best to remove the SB after a ride, fold in half and ring out, rinse if possible.

Good Dirt!

Adrian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post
    100% Micro Fiber
    that's the term I was lookin for
    ​mountain biking is fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have to agree, I'm bald so I have to have something on or sweat is pouring down into my eyes. I've tried all kind of dew rags and gutter, but they all eventually get saturated and it starts running in my eyes. I've been on 8 rides with my Sweat Buster and have not had one single drop in my eyes or on my glasses, even riding during 95F days. It's pretty full most times but it has yet to fail me. Super easy to install and remove for cleaning.

Matt

mtbr member
    I use the Halo headband and like how thin it is. It does become saturated after long rides but works way better than nothing at all. The Sweatbuster looks really thick.

mtbr member

Re: Sweat Buster Review

Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    I use the Halo headband and like how thin it is. It does become saturated after long rides but works way better than nothing at all. The Sweatbuster looks really thick.
    I thought it looked thick as well, but it actually isn't and it works really well.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Just ordered a 2nd sweat buster and they have a special going in October... $2 off if you use the code biketoberfest when ordering.

Good, green, Oregon.
    The Sweat Buster is top notch. I have one and love it. I hesitated at first once I got it, as it seemed like it was thick, furry, and would be too warm. But really, it is none of those things. It fits perfect in my Giro Feature and takes care of the sweat issue big time. It adds comfort to my helmet fit, and now I actually like my helmet better. A discovered benefit was riding with it in the rain, as it absorbs all water, not just sweat. Truly a great product. Highly recommended for sure. Thanks Trax!
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

used to be RipRoar
    If any of you Sweat Buster Users out there are in need of an additional pad we now have Neon Green available if that's your thing....enter promo code: MtbNeonGreen to get $3.00 off each Sweat Buster (any color).

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I rock a skull cap. Works like a champ. Sweatbuster looks hot.

unrooted
    Rip Roar, thanks, I just bought a new halo after using one for years, but it will be good to try the sweatbuster as well.

When I worked for the Utah Department of Transportation I had to wear a hardhat when on the job, I made several little terry pads that fit into a hardhat for me and my coworkers. I also use a headband in my rock climbing helmet. I think you could branch out if you want too. . .
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

used to be RipRoar
    Thanks unrooted!, yes we have a Mod Kit II for Hard Hats and Welding Helmets...same concept, uses same great pad and easy in out for washing / rinsing...

Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Rip Roar, thanks, I just bought a new halo after using one for years, but it will be good to try the sweatbuster as well.

When I worked for the Utah Department of Transportation I had to wear a hardhat when on the job, I made several little terry pads that fit into a hardhat for me and my coworkers. I also use a headband in my rock climbing helmet. I think you could branch out if you want too. . .

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by antisocial83 View Post
    I rock a skull cap. Works like a champ. Sweatbuster looks hot.
    Looks can be deceiving once there is a slight bit of moisture in the Sweat Buster it actually helps cool you down.....the skull cap is, well a cap and tends to hold heat in...mucho hotter in our testing & rider feedback....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Riproar, how much is shipping cost to SoCal?
    In the website, I have to put my detail info before I could get shipping cost. I prefer to know the cost first before giving out my info, I think most people do.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Just ordered one to AZ; shipping was $2, which is hard to beat.

Here's hoping it works well. I've used a skull cap previously (terrible) and a variety of different bands. Halo seems to work the best for me, but it fills up super-quick. I'd need to carry three or four in my bag to make it efficient.

banned
    Jan 2013
    I got one of these things off Rip Roar last year, and they are fantastic!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks Blatant, I just ordered one.
    See how it goes.
    I've been using sweat gutr for years, pretty happy with it.
    But it gets full fast on hot day, and if forgot to look up to the sky, the sweat would drip to my face.
    I have to look up from time to time while riding before the gutr is full.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Great product at a great price point, I'm a heavy sweating rider and recently tried the sweat buster. Not a drop down my face since installation and most importantly not a drop on my glasses during the entire ride. This summer's rides will be much improved and safer for me, strong recommendation to anyone who stops to squish the sweat out of their helmet and has to spend a bit of time clearing the lenses of their glasses due to sweat raining down the face.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by balloonknot View Post
    Great product at a great price point, I'm a heavy sweating rider and recently tried the sweat buster. Not a drop down my face since installation and most importantly not a drop on my glasses during the entire ride. This summer's rides will be much improved and safer for me, strong recommendation to anyone who stops to squish the sweat out of their helmet and has to spend a bit of time clearing the lenses of their glasses due to sweat raining down the face.
    First off, I love your user name.. Lol. Second, you joined in 2006 and are just now posting?

Anyways, I agree with everyone else on how great the buster is. I am still using the first one I got from Rip Roar last year and it gets washed 2-3 times a week.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Received mine as ordered and installed it in my Urge Endur-o-matic helmet. First ride this morning. I guess my first reaction is … meh.

Some caveats: I live in Arizona and my head sweats a lot. It was 68 degrees when I started my ride before 7 this morning and about 78 when I wrapped up at 9. Our humidity is super-low, but most of our trails are in direct desert sunlight and the sun is strong.

I used the Sweat Buster in combination with a Halo band as I really do sweat a lot. I suppose it works somewhat better than stock padding, but didn't prevent sweat in my eyes or my sunglasses.

And the increased padding size gave me a wicked pressure headache. In fairness, I'll wash it out and tomorrow ride without the Halo to give it another go.

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Received mine as ordered and installed it in my Urge Endur-o-matic helmet. First ride this morning. I guess my first reaction is … meh.

Some caveats: I live in Arizona and my head sweats a lot. It was 68 degrees when I started my ride before 7 this morning and about 78 when I wrapped up at 9. Our humidity is super-low, but most of our trails are in direct desert sunlight and the sun is strong.

I used the Sweat Buster in combination with a Halo band as I really do sweat a lot. I suppose it works somewhat better than stock padding, but didn't prevent sweat in my eyes or my sunglasses.

And the increased padding size gave me a wicked pressure headache. In fairness, I'll wash it out and tomorrow ride without the Halo to give it another go.

Definitely report back after trying without Halo.

You may need to adjust its position up or down to find the perfect fit for your helmet.

Urge Endur-o-matic is a great helmet! I have one as well for colder temps only as it just doesn't have enough venting for me. It also does not have any adjustment in the back. So if it still too tight after removing the Halo PM me for a thinner option, you should not be having any wicked pressure going on.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Wanted to follow up on this. I did have a much better experience on second ride. This time I wore the sweat buster without the additional Halo band. It worked much better and did not give me a pressure headache this time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have 3 rides so far, not a single drop of sweat. I just squeeze it after every ride, quite surprised to see that much sweat dripping.
    Haven't been on longer ride yet (4+ hours), I wanna see how long it can hold on to the sweat.

unrooted
    I put the sweatbuster in my rock climbing helmet and did 2 days in Yosemite, in the sun. I really like the sweat buster, it keeps sweat from dripping into my eyes and makes my helmet feel much more comfortable. Thsnks rip roar!
    Last edited by unrooted; 05-19-2014 at 05:24 AM.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Assos RoboFoil Cap is amazing! I highly recommend it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Tried Halo and Sweathawg but the only "sweat in the eyes" mitigation that works for me is Sweat Buster. Easy to install, more comfortable than the stock forehead liner in my helmet and most of all keeps sweat out of my eyes. First time in my life I can wear sun glasses while riding thanks to Sweat Buster!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    yeah, I want to follow up on my initial tepid review. I really ended up liking this product. Works exactly as advertised for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have been using the Halos for years now and while they worked for the most part I did find them hot.
    Bought two Sweatbusters, one for my Fox Flux commuter and one for my IXS. Very nice change.
    Keeps the sweat out of my eyes and they are much cooler than the halos.

THey are thick so they definitely make the helmets snugger but i just don't cinch them down as much now.

Two thumbs up for me.

used to be RipRoar
    Love to read these!! So glad it worked out good for you guys..

Heads up on a Discount Code in my Signature!

Save $3 on 2 packs

Ride On!

mtbr member

Sweat Buster Review

I wear a underarmour skull cap cause i sweat from my head like crazy. It is a bit warm but they have a lighter one. One pro to a skull cap is if im head bunting branches i dont have bugs, leaves and tree crap in my hair. Got back to work after a lunch ride and had a beetle in my hair and it bit me.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

29er
    Apr 2010
    Just ordered a two pack, I am hopefull, as I sweat A LOT

mtbr member
    Been using mine for about a month now and I like it very much. It not only absorbs the sweat, but it also aids in a more comfortable helmet fit too.

Trail Ninja
    Ordered a 2 pack as well. Been using a lot of other things, such as bandanas, mesh skull cap, buff headwear, halo headband, ear warmer thingee, etc. I'll so how this compares. Planning on doing some longer summer SoCal rides where there's no shade.

BTW, thanks for the discount code.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Anyone put one of the bad-boys in a Bell Super yet? I'm curious what you did with the front pad as far as trimming it or just removing it all together. I love the Sweat Buster for sure and want to use it. I have one in a Giro Feature and it basically swapped out the front pad. This new Super is a bit different as far as the pad design goes. Let me know if anyone has done this helmet yet. Thanks!
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Anyone put one of the bad-boys in a Bell Super yet? I'm curious what you did with the front pad as far as trimming it or just removing it all together. I love the Sweat Buster for sure and want to use it. I have one in a Giro Feature and it basically swapped out the front pad. This new Super is a bit different as far as the pad design goes. Let me know if anyone has done this helmet yet. Thanks!
    The Bell Super has been my go to helmet for the last few months. I have been happy with it after a few adjustments. It sits very low on my head and the retention adjuster works excellent, I like that.

I ended up removing the vent cover as the helmet sits so low on my head it would come in contact with my Smith Pivlock (frameless) lens and occasionally bleed sweat from coming in contact with the lens. That I couldn't have!.

So this is what I did to the OEM Bell Super pad. The retention strap runs through the pad (red circles), you can pop the strap out then pull them off the pad and just snap them back in, or simply cut the pad.

Sweat Buster Review-traxfactory_sweat_buster_bell_super_installed.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sweat Buster Review-traxfactory_sweat_buster_bell_super_installed.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey RipRoar,

What about a TLD A-1 helmet, and an Urge All-M?
    *2015 Knolly Warden,Custom Build*
    *2014 Knolly Endorphin,Custom Build*
    *2016 Ibis Mojo HD3,Custom Build*

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    Hey RipRoar,

What about a TLD A-1 helmet, and an Urge All-M?
    Fits great in an Urge EndurOmatic, I use this helmet in winter mostly. The Urge All Mountain has two strips you would cutoff that go over the top of your head. Keep those and replace the brow portion of the pad with the Sweat Buster.

Since this helmet does not have a rear retention adjustment adding the SB really improved the fit for me.

Sweat Buster Review-urge_enduromatic_sweat_buster.jpg

I dont have the TLD-A1 yet but it looks very straight forward. You could also cut in an arc shape and keep the entire upper pad attached as one piece (blue).

Name:  TLD_A1_Sweat_Buster.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  53.9 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sweat Buster Review-urge_enduromatic_sweat_buster.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

29er
    Apr 2010
    Just got back from my first ride. Another satisfied customer. I sweat a lot, and it took my two hours to saturate it, and even then it didn't drip much. I swapped out to a fresh buster and kept riding. And the buster makes the helmet more comfortable. Also my head was cooler since I wasn't wearing a skull cap

Trail Ninja
    Got a ride with this during the day in the SoCal heat, with some climbing and without any shade, and found that it kept sweat out of my eyes pretty well. Just pulled the whole front pad out of my Fox Flux and replaced it with the sweat buster. Liking it a lot; it lets some sweat get close dripping down the temples, but not a problem. Couldn't ride with the Fox Flux without headwear at all before... once forgot and went on a fairly epic XC ride (SART) and when I took a break, it amused me when I pressed the front of my helmet to my forehead and all the sweat squeezed out and streamed off of my visor (with my head tilted forward). I had to wipe sweat a lot during that ride, and it was at higher elevation and in shade, so it shouldn't have been as bad as the ride I just did today. I like how it can just stay with the helmet, so I can't forget it.

Now I have to figure out what to do with all my bandana's and other headwear that I don't need anymore, thanks to the Sweat Buster. It doesn't keep sweat from dripping from everywhere under my helmet like my other headwear, but it prevents it in the most critical area in a super convenient manner.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am that guy - he who sweats walking down the street - anywhere I may be on a mission greater than a snails pace or the temp is above 65. Have a Bell Super and been using all the options, sweatvac, gutr, etc... at some point - they get saturated (and usually within 60 minutes of riding here in CO) and sweat starts hitting my sunnies... I know the Super has been reviewed as "hot" and not doing a good job of keep sweat off th glasses - i almost ditched it as that to is my experience. but it is a super comfy, adjustable and nice coverage helmet.

used the code and just ordered a 2 pack - look fwd to giving em a go - especially now that we are in the 90's in the front range. Will post up my findings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    5 rides in - and yest was the ride that normally sees sweat pouring out of my helmet and whatever is underneath - gutr, sweatvac, skullcap etc... within 30-40 mins. I am the guy who sweats buckets in heat and the ride - Apex/Emerald Forest is awesome - but gets me all the time. Usually cant see out of my sweat stung eyes or rivers of sweat running down my lenses (Bell Super is strange in how it does this so well). Again - this was with any/every skullcap or sweat device.

NOT this time - I rode the entire ride and while I had to wipe my eyes, it wasnt from sweat coming off my forehead or out the helmet! Not a single drop on my lenses. SCORE!!

these things - when dry weigh nothing,and are super comfy in the helmet - when I pulled it out after the ride it was like a pound soaked w sweat! Dont know what the magic is here but I dont need to know when it works so well.

I bought the 2 pack - and would highly recommend if you ride consecutive days - gives you a chance to wear, rinse/wash the used one, and swap in the clean dry one for the next ride. Or - if you'd ride an epic all dayer - put the 2nd in pack and swap in if necessary.

Great product that lives up to its promise! THANKS

Short-Change-Hero
    Quick question, would this interfere with the new MIPS helmets like the Scott Stego? I plan to get one in the future but not quite yet and have a standard Giro helmet now.

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Quick question, would this interfere with the new MIPS helmets like the Scott Stego? I plan to get one in the future but not quite yet and have a standard Giro helmet now.
    "MIPS is a low friction layer inside the helmet which allows the head to rotate relative to the helmet in an angled impact." - SCOTT Sports - MIPS® Brain Protection System

The Sweat Buster would be no different than wearing a headband etc as far as MIPS goes, except you would be sucking up lots of sweat!.

ALWAYS refer to your helmet manufactures fit guide, if you cannot achieve the proper fit with the Sweat Buster for some reason, contact us for a full refund.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    another hugely satisfied customer here. bought the 2 pack and never looked back and I'm a major hyper-excretor!
    awesome product!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have a dilemma: buy the green ones now or wait until they have blue in stock? I don't like neon but I'm thinking you can't see them so what difference does it make?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Think you just answered your own question

mtbr member
    I haven't tried mine out yet, but if the service is any clue to the quality, I'm really excited. Ordered last Thursday and they showed up on Saturday... not bad! Now if only the storms would leave...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I just finished my first ride with the Sweat Buster and it worked exactly as advertised. This was the first time I didn't need to clean my glasses 1/2 way through the ride in a long time. I live in Redding where it gets hot. I can already tell this is an awesome purchase, certainly worth the 12 dollars. I bought a 2 pack so I could give one to a buddy, and I will buy another 2 pack for our night riding helmets.

used to be RipRoar
    I know some people were inquiring about the Navy Blue Sweat Busters which I am happy to say are now back in stock. Get em while they're hot!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    After reading a lot of good reviews here I pulled the trigger and got a two pack. Easy install, must admit I was not so sure on cutting the pads in My IXS Trail. It works real well
    I have not had any sweat in my face or on my glasses. I does block the front vents some and the pad is bigger so the front of my head is a little
    warmer. Rip roar might want to check into the discount in your sig. The web site would not take it.

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine85929 View Post
    After reading a lot of good reviews here I pulled the trigger and got a two pack. Easy install, must admit I was not so sure on cutting the pads in My IXS Trail. It works real well
    I have not had any sweat in my face or on my glasses. I does block the front vents some and the pad is bigger so the front of my head is a little
    warmer. Rip roar might want to check into the discount in your sig. The web site would not take it.
    Glad it is working well for you! You may try lowering the pad slightly to open up the vent if its an issue.

Edit: Discount code issue resolved, use new code in my signature...

mtbr member
    I'm about to place an order for 2 more of these, but the discount code isn't working for me either. I can add it in the cart and it applies the discount but as soon as I select shipping method during checkout the discount goes away - I can re-add it on step3 but then it shoots me back to selecting shipping, with no discount. I'm just going to proceed and add comment to this effect in the comment box, if you can refund the discount to me as well that would be appreciated!

Have been using the Sweat buster for a couple months now. Awesome product! I still need to wipe my brow a bit when riding but this thing absorbs more sweat than anything else I've tried, and holds it well til I can wring it out. Pretty impressive compared to other products I've tried like Halo, which are pretty much useless once saturated.

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I'm about to place an order for 2 more of these, but the discount code isn't working for me either. I can add it in the cart and it applies the discount but as soon as I select shipping method during checkout the discount goes away - I can re-add it on step3 but then it shoots me back to selecting shipping, with no discount. I'm just going to proceed and add comment to this effect in the comment box, if you can refund the discount to me as well that would be appreciated!

Have been using the Sweat buster for a couple months now. Awesome product! I still need to wipe my brow a bit when riding but this thing absorbs more sweat than anything else I've tried, and holds it well til I can wring it out. Pretty impressive compared to other products I've tried like Halo, which are pretty much useless once saturated.

Thanks so much for your support!

Yes I see the problem now with the discount code, it is a bug in my shopping system for sure, working on it now. As you indicated it works as long as that is the only item, as soon as you add an item that the code doesn't apply to it goes away.

If you already ordered and did not get the discount let me know and I will refund you $3.

Thanks to all for your support, the exposure has been great, check us out in Adventure Sports Journal - Gear We Love!

Gear We Love | Adventure Sports Journal

mtbr member
    Yup its all good, thanks a lot!

used to be RipRoar
    I changed the discount code to Mtbr324 , save $3 on purchase of $24 or more. This works with any combination of items....

Good Dirt!

used to be RipRoar
    Just a heads up on Free Shipping on all orders during Fall months (through Dec 21), use code FallFreeShip

and yes! this works with other discount codes!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ordered one just now.. see how it handles the san diego heatwave we've been getting..

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just put in an order. Look forward to giving it a try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    forgot i ordered a "super duty headband" from headsweats last week.. delivered last night and wore it this morning during my ride and that thing is awesome.. no sweat drip doing 1 1/2 hr ride... thin and barely feel it when i had my helmet on.. oh well, let's see how sweat buster performs..

MMS
    mtbr member
    Awesome! Glad I found this thread. I'm in Texas and usually ride with a bandana "do rag" set up, to both keep the sweat out and I've got longer hair. Any hair issues? Currently running a Bell Stoker helmet.
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

Wizza wizza wu-tang...
    FWIW I will chip in as I have the opposite setup - Arizona (mostly dry) and no hair so my sweat speedily follows gravity.

I gave up on my stock Bell Stoker due to sweat issues and the 661 Recon I picked up was better but still not ideal.

Sweat Buster in each and problem solved even during monsoon season here in AZ where the humidity goes up a bit.

I had a four hour ride with a bunch of climbing a few weeks ago and I had to squeeze out my SB one time where before I was stopping on less rigorous rides every 15-25 minutes to squeeze out my Stoker and may double that for the Recon.

MMS
    mtbr member
    I've dug the Stoker so far. Fits good and I find it cool enough (when I go on shorter rides without the bandana). I'm looking at the Sweat Buster/Halo band combo.
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

used to be RipRoar
    If you have been on the fence about trying our Sweat Buster here is a great discount for you....about the same price as a Triple Latte but actually helps you!

use discount code BLACKFRIDAY today only for a 40% savings!

mtbr member
    Got a navy and a neon green one yesterday. Tried the navy one out this morning in 31 degree celsius temps (88 F). Wow. As usual, I sweated like a sonofa b, but not a single drop of sweat made it past the Sweat Buster. And as an added bonus, it made my Super 2R way comfier and snugger fitting, which was awesome as I blasted through the rough stuff today.

I don't like the neon green one as much, since it is plainly visible through the vents in my helmet (and does not look very good with my black and grey, very subdued looking helmet, IMHO). The only other negative is that the round velcro tabs that are "glued" in the helmet all peeled off when I removed the Sweat Buster to wash it after. I may have to permanently super glue those little round attachments in my helmet.

If I can solve the issue with the little velcro tabs peeling off, I would rate this product a full 10 out of 10.

And by the way, I have for the last number of years worn one of 2 Halo head bands (one long, one short), or a Halo "protex bandana". Those served their purpose very well, but all of them will be sitting in my drawer unless I run into problems with the Sweat Buster.

A a final note, Adrian at Trax Factory was a real gentleman to deal with. Great purchase experience.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Curious if anyone has experienced any diminished performance with these over time? I've got three or four of these and I swear it seems like they're not as absorbent as they were when new.

To be fair, I'm in Arizona and I sweat like a pig.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    If you have been on the fence about trying our Sweat Buster here is a great discount for you....about the same price as a Triple Latte but actually helps you!

use discount code BLACKFRIDAY today only for a 40% savings!
    Do you ship to the UK?
    These could be just the thing I'm looking for after losing 70lbs my Urge Enduro O Matic and Archi Enduro are slightly too big even with the thick pads fitted.
    Also being follicly challenged (lol) the extra surface would be a great help in soaking up the sweat even though the Gangsta pad does a pretty good job.
    I'd be looking at 2 packs of the "The Original Sweat Buster - 2 Pack" and 2 packs of the "Mod Kit 1 - For Foam Pads".
    Last edited by Joss002; 06-28-2015 at 05:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    TraxFactory,

Any idea when the blue ones will be back in stock? Website says "back in stock 4-11-15".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    If I can solve the issue with the little velcro tabs peeling off, I would rate this product a full 10 out of 10.
    I had the same problem with the tabs coming off. I tried gluing them back in with no luck. Eventually I just got some small strips of velcro and zip-tied those in to the helmet. Not a perfect solution, but it has worked fine.

I do notice the pads compact down over time. They still absorb a lot of sweat, but not as much as when new. Still far better than a halo, though. Nothing lasts forever, and chances are I will end up losing it around the time that starts to happen anyways. Great product!

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joss002 View Post
    Do you ship to the UK?

These could be just the thing I'm looking for after losing 70lbs my Urge Enduro O Matic and Archi Enduro are slightly too big even with the thick pads fitted.
    Also being follicly challenged (lol) the extra surface would be a great help in soaking up the sweat even though the Gangsta pad does a pretty good job.
    I'd be looking at 2 packs of the "The Original Sweat Buster - 2 Pack" and 2 packs of the "Mod Kit 1 - For Foam Pads".
    We do ship to the UK. International shipping would be $10 USD. We are in the process of modifying the cart now for Europe and other regions, so you would need to PM me your order information. Please include full shipping address.

Thanks! Adrian

used to be RipRoar
    Navy Blue back in stock now!

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Got a navy and a neon green one yesterday. Tried the navy one out this morning in 31 degree celsius temps (88 F). Wow. As usual, I sweated like a sonofa b, but not a single drop of sweat made it past the Sweat Buster. And as an added bonus, it made my Super 2R way comfier and snugger fitting, which was awesome as I blasted through the rough stuff today.

I don't like the neon green one as much, since it is plainly visible through the vents in my helmet (and does not look very good with my black and grey, very subdued looking helmet, IMHO). The only other negative is that the round velcro tabs that are "glued" in the helmet all peeled off when I removed the Sweat Buster to wash it after. I may have to permanently super glue those little round attachments in my helmet.

And by the way, I have for the last number of years worn one of 2 Halo head bands (one long, one short), or a Halo "protex bandana". Those served their purpose very well, but all of them will be sitting in my drawer unless I run into problems with the Sweat Buster.

A a final note, Adrian at Trax Factory was a real gentleman to deal with. Great purchase experience.

On the velcro coins, try to remove them and clean the spot with some alcohol, then re-apply. These coins are some of the best quality I could locate, they are genuine Velcro and use good adhesive. If you still have issues PM me and I could get you out a slightly larger coin or short strip.

That's great it is working well for you!, thanks for the kind words.

Adrian

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Curious if anyone has experienced any diminished performance with these over time? I've got three or four of these and I swear it seems like they're not as absorbent as they were when new.

To be fair, I'm in Arizona and I sweat like a pig.
    Just like your favorite pair of socks or gloves the Sweat Buster will show some performance degradation over time when used regularly. I have one test unit that is going on 4 years now, it does still work but not like a freshy.

Glad to see your using the crap out of those things!

mtbr member
    We do ship to the UK. International shipping would be $10 USD. We are modify the cart now for Europe and other regions, so you would need to PM me your order information. Please include full shipping address.

Thanks! Adrian
    Thanks for the swift response Adrian.
    Ive sent a PM with the order information and my full shipping address.

mtbr member
    We do ship to the UK. International shipping would be $10 USD. We are in the process of modifying the cart now for Europe and other regions, so you would need to PM me your order information. Please include full shipping address.

Thanks! Adrian
    I sent you a PM about shipping to the UK also.

mtbr member
    On the velcro coins, try to remove them and clean the spot with some alcohol, then re-apply. These coins are some of the best quality I could locate, they are genuine Velcro and use good adhesive. If you still have issues PM me and I could get you out a slightly larger coin or short strip.

That's great it is working well for you!, thanks for the kind words.

Adrian
    In fairness, I haven't even tried the velcro coins you supplied. I am still using the ones that came with the helmet.

Out again today in the midday heat - low 90's and nothing but sun...again. Set a PR on a very tough trail this aft. The Sweat Buster worked like a charm once again.

Tigers love pepper...
    Just found this.... and ordered sight unseen based on the reviews in here. It was 97 at 8PM last night when I started my ride (88 when I finished just before 10). I actually had to stop 3 times one a single downhill section because my eyes were burning so bad, and for some reason, wiping them with my nasty, sweaty, dirty gloves wasn't helping.

Had a Halo previously, once it got saturated it was pretty much useless. Lost it last summer, wanted to try something different...... so hoping these do the trick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Just found this.... and ordered sight unseen based on the reviews in here. It was 97 at 8PM last night when I started my ride (88 when I finished just before 10). I actually had to stop 3 times one a single downhill section because my eyes were burning so bad, and for some reason, wiping them with my nasty, sweaty, dirty gloves wasn't helping.

Had a Halo previously, once it got saturated it was pretty much useless. Lost it last summer, wanted to try something different...... so hoping these do the trick.
    I hope it works well for you. Please report back and let us know your thoughts.

used to be RipRoar
    I wanted to give you all a heads up on our 4th of July promotion! enter the promotional code: madeinusa on checkout and receive a $2 discount! Good until July 5th!

Happy 4th and be safe out there!!!

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    The Sweat Buster is definitely The Bomb. I have been using mine for a year now, and if I forget it or it gets misplaced in the laundry it is a disaster going back to anything else. It holds a full load of my copious sweat load and usually that's it. On a really hot day I will need to drain it a few times, which is easy -- just lean over and push on the helmet and out comes a cupful of grossness. When it is saturated it gives a warning sign because I can start to feel drips. Last weekend after a climb to Full Nelson trailhead at Squamish, where it was over 90 degrees, I drained it at the top and a bunch of kids were shocked -- "Dude, are you OK? I've never seen anything like that! Where did all that come from?"

Yes, it is gross, but it means a world of difference to my riding knowing this stuff won't be dripping into my eyes. I use it for road and mountain.

I've also tried the Halo, which is decent but has nowhere near the capacity (and only works with the head nappy version), and the Sweat Hawg which is pretty good but not as good as the Sweat Buster.

mtbr member
    My Sweat Busters arrived today.The main reason I bought these was my Urge Endur-O-Matic was feeling a little lose after I lost weight.The Endur-O-Matic has always been comfortable but with the Sweat Buster its a vast improvement,so comfortable and fits like a glove now !! lol
    Cant wait to give it a test at the weekend....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joss002 View Post
    My Sweat Busters arrived today.The main reason I bought these was my Urge Endur-O-Matic was feeling a little lose after I lost weight.The Endur-O-Matic has always been comfortable but with the Sweat Buster its a vast improvement,so comfortable and fits like a glove now !! lol
    Cant wait to give it a test at the weekend....
    I have the Endur-O-Matic as well. Did you take the whole Gangsta Pad out?

mtbr member
    I cut the brow pad out and just used the piece that runs front to back of the Gangsta Pad,I used 1 of the pad kits to seal the end where I cut it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My sweat buster browpads arrived today. I got a few sets as one of my friend's wanted to try a Sweat Buster too. He sweats copiously when racing so that will be a good test.

I wear a Specialized Evade helmet. Although the helmet ventilation is ok the stock Evade helmet browpad used by itself is hopeless. When you do start sweating that sweat goes straight past the stock browpad into your eyes.

I've been using a Halo headband underneath for the spring / summer so far this year. The Halo headband works quite well so long as you aren't sweating too much. Where it runs into problems is when you're pushing hard. The headband fabric becomes saturated and then sweat runs down. At maximum effort that's around the 1 hour mark for me. Worn under a helmet with sunglasses I don't find the Halo headband particularly comfortable either, you know you're wearing it and it blocks the front helmet vents from blowing directly onto your head.

The Sweat Buster replaces the front browpad of the helmet. I pulled out the original browpad, added a couple of velcro dots and fitted the Sweat Buster without using any of the original browpad:

If you just put the Sweat Buster straight in flush with the helmet it covers several front vents. The lower two central vents are completely blocked but the main and side vents are partially blocked too. This is easy to fix by positioning the Sweat Buster slightly below these vents when you put it in the helmet, so that the bottom of the Sweat Buster sits below the bottom of the helmet instead of being flush. The lower two central vents are still blocked but the rest of the vents are unobstructed.

Here's a picture showing the stock browpad, a Halo headband and a Sweat Buster browpad together. It's trying to give an idea of how the different browpads relate to the helmet vents.

I did a 2 hour 30 ride today with the Sweat Buster. It was around 25c / 77f temperature and I was riding at a steady endurance pace not flat out. The Sweat Buster is a soft fleecy material and comfortable enough. After around 30 minutes I could notice a damp feeling in the centre of my forehead as the Sweat Buster began to collect sweat. That damp sensation stayed there for the rest of the ride.

There wasn't any sweat running down into my eyes from the helmet (although I wouldn't expect any on a steady ride like this wearing a Halo headband either) and when I got home the Sweat Buster was damp but no worse than that. It wasn't saturated and clearly had lots of moisture absorbing capacity left.

Tigers love pepper...
    Got mine yesterday! But of course it rained all evening so I couldn't try it last night or this am! With this rain, we are also like 15 degrees below average.... oh well I won't complain but it may not make for good initial testing/review.

Below is the pics after install and what I cut out.

2014 Specialized Vice
    Sweat Buster Review-20150707_182028_small.jpg

2009 Bell Influx helmet - Older cheap one I use for night riding (I leave the light and mount attached). The strap location sucks on this helmet and it's going to have to run over the sweat buster. But after fitting it seems OK. I rarely ride at night anyway. My second sweat buster will probably do more duty as a swap out for my good helmet.
    Sweat Buster Review-20150707_181233_small.jpg

Here's what I cut out or removed from the helmets. Actually I took out a little more of the red padding on the Bell and that piece isn't in this pic, but you can see where I cut it in the above pic.
    Sweat Buster Review-20150707_182152_small.jpg
    Last edited by cobi; 07-09-2015 at 06:21 AM.

Tigers love pepper...
    Did manage to sneak in a quick ride tonight. It wasn't hot tonight (82) but it was humid so we were sweating, and it started raining on us about the last 10 minutes. Not a drop in my eyes and it was comfortable. Very happy with the initial results.

mtbr member
    I did a more serious ride today. 4 hours 56 minutes / 82 miles with the road club. The Thursday morning club ride is jokingly called the pensioners ride, because a lot of the riders who turn up are in their 60s and 70s and retired. All that means is that they have more free time to ride their bikes, go on cycling trips to the alps etc, so they have good fitness. Half the time it's me getting dropped on these rides!

The temperature warmed up over the ride, rising to around 25c/ 77f by the time I got home. I spent the second half of the ride dreaming of ice cream. There was some solid climbing too, so I put in several decent sustained efforts trying to keep up.

Wearing my helmet with the Sweat Buster browpad fitted there was a constant damp feeling across my forehead throughout the ride. It stayed at around the same level throughout the five hours. On the climbs I was pushing hard and there was no sweat coming down into my eyes however, which is the point.

When I got home the sunglass lenses were still quite clean, some smears and small specks but visibility through them wasn't impaired. With a standard helmet browpad there would be a film of sweat droplets on the inside of the lens that affects vision.

Here's a close up picture of the lens of my Salice 011 sunglasses immediately after the 4 hour 56 minute ride using the Sweat Buster browpad. The lens hadn't been cleaned so this is trying to show that vision through the lens is still ok.

When I took my helmet off there was a visible rippled mark across my forehead where the Sweat Buster browpad had been pressed against it.

One thing to note is that when you do take your helmet off post ride the Sweat Buster is wet to the touch. It feels horrible. With standard helmet pads you can leave them in the helmet and they will dry quickly. Because it's thicker and more absorbent you can't really do that with the Sweat Buster. I'm using as few velcro dots as possible because the Sweat Buster will need removing and drying after every single ride. I've been hanging it out on the washing line to dry post ride.

If you do rides with a coffee stop mid ride I'd suggest either rinsing it out under a tap or have a spare Sweat Buster with you, so that you have a fresh Sweat Buster for the second half of the ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i just ordered myself a pair of these in neon green - i hope they arrrive at my house in Canada, sometime within the enxt 14 days before I go on vacation.

i also hope that USPS does not charge me any additional duties/fees when they deliver.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Guys, thank you for your elaborated reviews - it definitely helped to decide.

mtbr member
    Mine neon greens are on the way too.
    My main helmet is TLD A1.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Mine neon greens are on the way too.
    My main helmet is TLD A1.
    Can you please upload a photo when you get it, how do you fit the buster in?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abagrizzli View Post
    Can you please upload a photo when you get it, how do you fit the buster in?
    Sure.

used to be RipRoar
    check out page 2 of this thread there is a pic of the TLDA1 Pads with suggested cut points. I also have a TLD on display at local shop, ill try to grab you an install pic....

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Sure.
    Thank you

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    check out page 2 of this thread there is a pic of the TLDA1 Pads with suggested cut points. I also have a TLD on display at local shop, ill try to grab you an install pic....
    I'd be very grateful. It's hard for me, to cut pads, since I have no other place to get them... We do not have them here at all, and getting them from the internet is frustrating - the shipping cost is almost the same as the pad themselves...

mtbr member

Love it....

Gave the Sweat Buster its first ride today in my Urge Enduro O Matic.I positioned it so it was around 5mm lower than the front of the helmet like the original Gangsta Pad and as soon as it got wet I could feel it cooling me down.
    Temps were in the low 20's but it was cloudy and humid,thats more than enough for me to sweat as i dont handle heat well lol and being bald the sweat just runs down my face. It worked great as did the original Gangsta Pad,but the helmet is much more confortable now,fits great and has saved me from buying a smaller helmet.
    Great job TraxFactory

mtbr member
    I've done a few more rides with the Sweat Buster browpad fitted now. One change that I have made from the pictures above is the order. In the picture above it is helmet - straps - Sweat Buster.

I didn't feel the straps and helmet position were in quite the right place however so I now have it as helmet - Sweat Buster - straps, so that the helmet straps are directly against my head. That seems to work better for me.

The Sweat Buster browpad has been working quite well, doing what it is supposed to. On Friday I did the evening shop ride. Every week before it starts someone always says "we'll take it steady today" even though they have no intention of doing any such thing! The usual format is everyone goes flat out for 10 to 15 minutes, it then regroups at a junction, goes flat out for 10 to 15 minutes, regroups at a junction etc all the way round.

It was quite hot and very humid. I was sweating buckets and completely drenched in sweat by the end. Every chance I got whenever the ride waited to regroup I had my skinsuit top open to the waist trying to get some cooling air in. My face was perspiring, sweating behind my sunglasses and on my forehead below the helmet. I had to keep wiping that sweat away with my hand.

You'd have laughed as at the end of the ride one of the guys was commenting on how it had been such a steady ride that he could now barely see out of his sunglasses for sweat on the inside of the lenses. My sunglasses stayed clear the whole way through.

One slight concern is whether my forehead and directly behind my sunglasses is maybe sweating more with the Sweat Buster than it was before with a thinner Halo headband. I'm not sure. The rides over the last few days have been hot in general though so I suspect I would have been sweating quite a bit either way.

For riding on consecutive days I've been finding that the Sweat Buster browpad is usually soaked after a ride. It hasn't been drying out fully when hung indoors overnight. As I have two I've been getting home and switching them over, so that I have a dry browpad for the next day and the soaked browpad gets a bit longer to dry out before being used again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast