Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Sweat Buster Review

I don't know about y'all, but I sweat when I ride my mountain bike. In pretty much any weather, I'm used to those irritating beads of salty eye sting water falling from my helmet into my face.

So, when I heard about the Sweat Buster by Trax, I decided to try it.

Basically the Sweat Buster is a terrycloth (I think) padded insert that replaces the front pads of your helmet. It velcros in place and comes out easily to wash. It does interfere with the straps in my Giro helmet slightly, but with a little adjustment it fits well.

As advertised, this insert busts sweat. I took a client on two 4 hour rides over two days in moderate heat (73 or so with a bit of humidity) which would have normally been plenty to have me dripping sweat out of my helmet. I didn't get a single drop of sweat from my helmet. At all.

My only complaint is that the insert itches my forehead a little, but I'm sure it'll break in and my forehead will adapt.

Overall, I am SUPER satisfied with the Sweat Buster, and would recommend it to anyone who gets tired of drops of sweat in their eyes, mouth, glasses, beard, etc....
    ​mountain biking is fun.

mtbr member
    Sweating while riding??? What is wrong with you? Actually, you may have just remedied a consistent problem for me! Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by docter_zab View Post
    Overall, I am SUPER satisfied with the Sweat Buster, and would recommend it to anyone who gets tired of drops of sweat in their eyes, mouth, glasses, beard, etc....
    Thanks for the review. I'm running a TLD A-1 and I love everything about it EXCEPT it allows sweat to drip in my eyes and on my glasses. Looks like it may be a bit warm, but I may have to give it a try.

mtbr member
    I definitely think it's worth it!
    ​mountain biking is fun.

I eat cats
    I love my sweat buster! I reviewed it and gave a follow up review as well somewhere in the forums. No more stinging/itchy sweat in my eyes and I don't notice it's even there. Only downside is that you have to rinse/wash it but since I wash riding clothes often its not an issue. Sometimes I just rinse it in the sink and wringe it out. Other times I just wear a couple times before washing.. Eww!

mtbr member
    It was AWESOME to stumble across this thread!

Just to clarify the Sweat Buster is 100% Micro Fiber which is similar to terry but is able to absorb much more liquid. Its always best to remove the SB after a ride, fold in half and ring out, rinse if possible.

Good Dirt!

Adrian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post
    100% Micro Fiber
    that's the term I was lookin for
    ​mountain biking is fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have to agree, I'm bald so I have to have something on or sweat is pouring down into my eyes. I've tried all kind of dew rags and gutter, but they all eventually get saturated and it starts running in my eyes. I've been on 8 rides with my Sweat Buster and have not had one single drop in my eyes or on my glasses, even riding during 95F days. It's pretty full most times but it has yet to fail me. Super easy to install and remove for cleaning.

Matt

mtbr member
    I use the Halo headband and like how thin it is. It does become saturated after long rides but works way better than nothing at all. The Sweatbuster looks really thick.

mtbr member

Re: Sweat Buster Review

Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    I use the Halo headband and like how thin it is. It does become saturated after long rides but works way better than nothing at all. The Sweatbuster looks really thick.
    I thought it looked thick as well, but it actually isn't and it works really well.

I eat cats
    Just ordered a 2nd sweat buster and they have a special going in October... $2 off if you use the code biketoberfest when ordering.

Tactical Nightmare
    The Sweat Buster is top notch. I have one and love it. I hesitated at first once I got it, as it seemed like it was thick, furry, and would be too warm. But really, it is none of those things. It fits perfect in my Giro Feature and takes care of the sweat issue big time. It adds comfort to my helmet fit, and now I actually like my helmet better. A discovered benefit was riding with it in the rain, as it absorbs all water, not just sweat. Truly a great product. Highly recommended for sure. Thanks Trax!
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    If any of you Sweat Buster Users out there are in need of an additional pad we now have Neon Green available if that's your thing....enter promo code: MtbNeonGreen to get $3.00 off each Sweat Buster (any color).

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I rock a skull cap. Works like a champ. Sweatbuster looks hot.

unrooted
    Rip Roar, thanks, I just bought a new halo after using one for years, but it will be good to try the sweatbuster as well.

When I worked for the Utah Department of Transportation I had to wear a hardhat when on the job, I made several little terry pads that fit into a hardhat for me and my coworkers. I also use a headband in my rock climbing helmet. I think you could branch out if you want too. . .
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    Thanks unrooted!, yes we have a Mod Kit II for Hard Hats and Welding Helmets...same concept, uses same great pad and easy in out for washing / rinsing...

Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Rip Roar, thanks, I just bought a new halo after using one for years, but it will be good to try the sweatbuster as well.

When I worked for the Utah Department of Transportation I had to wear a hardhat when on the job, I made several little terry pads that fit into a hardhat for me and my coworkers. I also use a headband in my rock climbing helmet. I think you could branch out if you want too. . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antisocial83 View Post
    I rock a skull cap. Works like a champ. Sweatbuster looks hot.
    Looks can be deceiving once there is a slight bit of moisture in the Sweat Buster it actually helps cool you down.....the skull cap is, well a cap and tends to hold heat in...mucho hotter in our testing & rider feedback....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Riproar, how much is shipping cost to SoCal?
    In the website, I have to put my detail info before I could get shipping cost. I prefer to know the cost first before giving out my info, I think most people do.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Just ordered one to AZ; shipping was $2, which is hard to beat.

Here's hoping it works well. I've used a skull cap previously (terrible) and a variety of different bands. Halo seems to work the best for me, but it fills up super-quick. I'd need to carry three or four in my bag to make it efficient.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I got one of these things off Rip Roar last year, and they are fantastic!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks Blatant, I just ordered one.
    See how it goes.
    I've been using sweat gutr for years, pretty happy with it.
    But it gets full fast on hot day, and if forgot to look up to the sky, the sweat would drip to my face.
    I have to look up from time to time while riding before the gutr is full.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Great product at a great price point, I'm a heavy sweating rider and recently tried the sweat buster. Not a drop down my face since installation and most importantly not a drop on my glasses during the entire ride. This summer's rides will be much improved and safer for me, strong recommendation to anyone who stops to squish the sweat out of their helmet and has to spend a bit of time clearing the lenses of their glasses due to sweat raining down the face.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by balloonknot View Post
    Great product at a great price point, I'm a heavy sweating rider and recently tried the sweat buster. Not a drop down my face since installation and most importantly not a drop on my glasses during the entire ride. This summer's rides will be much improved and safer for me, strong recommendation to anyone who stops to squish the sweat out of their helmet and has to spend a bit of time clearing the lenses of their glasses due to sweat raining down the face.
    First off, I love your user name.. Lol. Second, you joined in 2006 and are just now posting?

Anyways, I agree with everyone else on how great the buster is. I am still using the first one I got from Rip Roar last year and it gets washed 2-3 times a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Received mine as ordered and installed it in my Urge Endur-o-matic helmet. First ride this morning. I guess my first reaction is meh.

Some caveats: I live in Arizona and my head sweats a lot. It was 68 degrees when I started my ride before 7 this morning and about 78 when I wrapped up at 9. Our humidity is super-low, but most of our trails are in direct desert sunlight and the sun is strong.

I used the Sweat Buster in combination with a Halo band as I really do sweat a lot. I suppose it works somewhat better than stock padding, but didn't prevent sweat in my eyes or my sunglasses.

And the increased padding size gave me a wicked pressure headache. In fairness, I'll wash it out and tomorrow ride without the Halo to give it another go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Received mine as ordered and installed it in my Urge Endur-o-matic helmet. First ride this morning. I guess my first reaction is meh.

Some caveats: I live in Arizona and my head sweats a lot. It was 68 degrees when I started my ride before 7 this morning and about 78 when I wrapped up at 9. Our humidity is super-low, but most of our trails are in direct desert sunlight and the sun is strong.

I used the Sweat Buster in combination with a Halo band as I really do sweat a lot. I suppose it works somewhat better than stock padding, but didn't prevent sweat in my eyes or my sunglasses.

And the increased padding size gave me a wicked pressure headache. In fairness, I'll wash it out and tomorrow ride without the Halo to give it another go.

Definitely report back after trying without Halo.

You may need to adjust its position up or down to find the perfect fit for your helmet.

Urge Endur-o-matic is a great helmet! I have one as well for colder temps only as it just doesn't have enough venting for me. It also does not have any adjustment in the back. So if it still too tight after removing the Halo PM me for a thinner option, you should not be having any wicked pressure going on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast