Thread: Suspenders?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Suspenders?

About 30 years ago when I was at the peak of my cycling ability, at 16, I remember using suspenders to keep my tights from drooping in the back. It seems now I'm having the same problem with the various baggy style MTB shorts I wear. It's because I'm fatter, I know. So I just ordered a set of suspenders to hopefully remedy this problem. Just wondering if anybody else out there is using suspenders on their shorts, and how it's working out for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    A lot of us use these: Men's Cycling Bib Shorts even on the trail.

Here's a thread, too: MTB-specific bib shorts

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Bibs are more of a road thing, and they're expensive. The suspenders I ordered are $20 and that includes shipping. They should do the trick.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 83stumpjumper View Post
    Bibs are more of a road thing, and they're expensive. The suspenders I ordered are $20 and that includes shipping. They should do the trick.
    Bib shorts are no more or less expensive than other good cycling shorts. They add about $10 to a pair of cycling shorts without.

I was thinking you could wear the bib shorts under whatever regular athletic shorts you wanted to or just ride in them by themselves (a whole other well tread topic ).

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The baggy style padded shorts I wear are in the $50-$60 range. The bibs on the site you had were in the range of $100 to nearly $300. While I have no doubt they are comfortable and will do the job, too expensive for the amount of riding I do. I also prefer the more durable baggy shorts in the event of a crash.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I wear suspenders with most of my baggy shorts. Been wearing them for that reason (keeping the baggy shorts from 'sagging') for close to ten years. They work great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks Jeff. That's what I was hoping to hear from someone who uses them. Looking forward to mine arriving and trying them out.

mtbr member
    Im fat and I dont use suspenders..I just use longer shirts (mx shirts)..that seems to keep the plumbers crack from showing.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    I use suspenders cause I bought my shorts a little too big in the waist, but I think they work even better now since I can cinch them up to exactly where I want them, and they stay there. I got my suspenders for $10 at Wal-mart.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    ...The bibs on the site you had were in the range of $100 to nearly $300. ....
    Um... one example. REI, Voler, Backcountry.com closeouts, etc. Lots of options for $60 shorts. I'm sure plenty of people on this website spend $100+ on shorts.

Also - there are more expensive baggies out there that might fit you better. Spend $80 and see what you get, especially on closeout.

Do agree with you about durability of baggies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Got my suspenders last week, and rode with them for the first time today. Loved them! Comfortable, and kept my shorts in position at all times. I paid $15 for the sport suspenders I bought, plastic clips rather than metal, no concerns of rusting that way. They really do the job. I highly recommend them as an inexpensive fix for anyone who's shorts start to creep down on them while they ride. 100% satisfied!

mtbr member
    Got my suspenders last week, and rode with them for the first time today. Loved them! Comfortable, and kept my shorts in position at all times. I paid $15 for the sport suspenders I bought, plastic clips rather than metal, no concerns of rusting that way. They really do the job. I highly recommend them as an inexpensive fix for anyone who's shorts start to creep down on them while they ride. 100% satisfied!
    So where/what did you get? Interesting concept!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I got them on Amazon.com, they are called Chums suspenders. They are made for sport activities. Total price was just under $20 and that includes shipping. It totally solves the problem of shorts creeping down on you. I'm sure they'll be good for road riding too. All I wear are baggy shorts, so these can be used with all of them.