Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Sunglasses - Need suggestions / shortlist

I have been mt biking for 20 years. In all that time I have worn $30 (or $15) cheep sunglasses. I think I would like to upgrade. I have a couple of questions:

1) What functions/features should I consider?
    - Seems like I would want something that offers crash protection. I have heard a few nasty stories about sunglasses breaking in a wreck and hurting the owner.
    - What about UVA? UVB? Poloraized? Low light?
    - Scratch coatings??
    - I am a head-sweat guy. Need something that will stay fog free.
    - Others?

2) What brands / models should I take a look at?

snickers driven

Tifosi

I have a pair w/ photochromic lenses that transition with varying light levels. Vented + changeable too for around $70

mtbr member
    I use a pair or clear and smoked DeWalt safety glasses from Lowes. I think I picked them up for like $11 or so.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Orthoguy View Post
    I use a pair or clear and smoked DeWalt safety glasses from Lowes. I think I picked them up for like $11 or so.

/\ This, and pic up a clear pair while your there. You don't have to spend a metric butt load of cash to get quality eye wear. Polarized glasses are an option, less than 20 bucks at wally is going to dominate the universe world. My two cents.

mtbr member
    If you are going to go higher end make sure you get glasses with lenses that can interchange. As a pre-race gift for Fools Gold my wife gave me a set of Oakley Jawbones that I really wanted but couldn't muster up the courage to spend $200+ on. I love the fact that I can change out the lenses depending on what I am riding and if I scratch one up I can easily swap out the lenses as opposed to buying a new bair of glasses.

Price of entry is steep but, in my opinion, well worth the money for the lighter weight and higher quality optics compared to Tifosi or other value brands.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB ABQ View Post
    I have a pair w/ photochromic lenses that transition with varying light levels. Vented + changeable too for around $70
    what glasses are those?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    If you are going to go higher end make sure you get glasses with lenses that can interchange. As a pre-race gift for Fools Gold my wife gave me a set of Oakley Jawbones that I really wanted but couldn't muster up the courage to spend $200+ on. I love the fact that I can change out the lenses depending on what I am riding and if I scratch one up I can easily swap out the lenses as opposed to buying a new bair of glasses.

Price of entry is steep but, in my opinion, well worth the money for the lighter weight and higher quality optics compared to Tifosi or other value brands.
    Any issue with fogging on the Jawbones?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Orthoguy View Post
    Great idea. I am going to pick up a clear and smoked DeWalt. If I don't like them and want to get something else, I still have safety glasses for yard / shop work.

Bite Me.
    Safety glasses can work great and they are cheap. Seems like I lose a pair of glasses a season. I have a pair of Rudy Project Radons that I love and have interchangeable lenses. They are pricey, but Rudy will sell you replacement lenses for $14 if you send in your old scratched or broken ones - being able to do that makes them a much better deal. The optics on quality lenses are really better, but you do pay the price for it. I will never buy expenses glasses again without a lens exchange/trade in option - otherwise one good scratch and your investment is done..
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

snickers driven
    I have the Dolomites with fototec green polarized. Work great for fishing and biking, now discontinued. They have these same lenses in other models: Tifosi Optics Sunglasses - Technology: Fototec

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I picked up a pair of Tifosi's from REI on sale for >$40 and have found them to more to my liking that any of the Oakleys I've ever used. I'm a sucker for a good lens and these seem to fit that bill nicely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I wear a pair of Oakley fuel cell so much I have a permanent raccoon eyes tan
    With the polarized 10% molychromatic tint lenses I use for everything

SamIAm
    i use smith polarized glass lenses. i like the glass because it is much more scratch resistant than plastic. ive had them for 3 years now and they just get thrown in pockets and tossed around and there are only 2 minor scratches. best vision clarity of anything ive used yet.

only thing to make them better would be photocromatic lenses.

interchangable is cool i guess.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SamL3227 View Post
    i use smith polarized glass lenses. i like the glass because it is much more scratch resistant than plastic. ive had them for 3 years now and they just get thrown in pockets and tossed around and there are only 2 minor scratches. best vision clarity of anything ive used yet.

only thing to make them better would be photocromatic lenses.

interchangable is cool i guess.
    SamL - are they 'safety' glasses? In an accident, are they designed so they do not hurt you? Glass would be nice because of the scratch resistance.

mtbr member
    Smith, the only brand for sunglasses and goggles as far as I'm concerned.

Smith Products | SmithOptics.com
    Ride & Smile

one sick puppy
    Take a look at Ryders. Very reasonably priced. Great glasses made for Mountain biking and Road biking. They get great reviews and I will second those reviews
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

mtbr member
    So they have those Tifosi's at REI? I'm looking for a new set, something similar to Oakley M Frames, those Tifosis look really nice might have to make the drive to check em out..

mtbr member
    $9 shipped. They don't fog up. They don't slip. They don't allow too little or too much air flow in. UV protection. Cheap, so no worries on losing them or scratching them. You're welcome.

MOTORCYCLE DUNE BUGGY ATV DESERT SPORT GOGGLE IRIDIUM | eBay

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Matt View Post
    Smith, the only brand for sunglasses and goggles as far as I'm concerned.

Smith Products | SmithOptics.com
    Mighty Matt, any particular model you are really happy with?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Learning a ton... Oakley, Rudy Project, Smith, Ryders,Tifosi ... I am going to look at them all. I only 'knew' Oakley before this post.

While learning more, I will get the Dewalt safety glasses and the really cheap goggles - try em out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikestok View Post
    Mighty Matt, any particular model you are really happy with?
    For around town and slope side apres I love the Gibson. For riding the Pivlock V90 Max is my favorite. But all of they're riding glasses are awesome. I really like the quality and the fact that the company is based in Sun Valley. They are a close to home brand, for me at least.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Chalk up another vote for Tifosi. I have the Tifosi Slip and love them. Interchangeable lenses (comes with three lenses: Smoke, AC Red, and Clear). They are american made and come with a hard case that holds the glasses and all of the extra lenses. They are also vented to reduce fogging up. They are supposed to be very sturdy. I picked mine up form LBS for $59. Check them out.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster."

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Those smiths look badass I just bought a v90 max set in blue lenses just to try them out
    Looks like they come with 3 lenses for $160 whereas my Oakley lenses are $97 each

mtbr member
    Smith Optics best warranty/return policy I have found!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd suggest going with Maui Jims. Great lens, and very affordable. Also, i'd probably suggest getting a pair that's polarized.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast