Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesford163 View Post
    Getting ths.. Oakley, Rudy Project, Smith, Ryders,Tifosi ...

try ths,I will get the Dewalt safety glasses and the really cheap goggles - gv thm a shot
    FYI: As far as I know uvex makes the Dewalt safety glasses

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Smile safety glasses

haha call me a geek, but I wear my safety glasses from work. I feel like when I ride through the woods with sunglasses on I can't see well, and the safety glasses protect me from tree branches and brush. Hey it works for me!!!

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by ritabiker View Post
    haha call me a geek, but I wear my safety glasses from work. I feel like when I ride through the woods with sunglasses on I can't see well, and the safety glasses protect me from tree branches and brush. Hey it works for me!!!
    Just make sure whatever you use, has UV protection. You might also try sunglasses with a lighter color lens meant for low light conditions.

SANCTUS

Sette

I own three pairs of this brand, I rate them as good as Tifosi you guys are kidding about the lawnmower glasses right? I can afford expensive eye wear but I would be upset if I mucked them upEyewear at Price Point

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Red Star Worldwear. Dirt cheap, polarized, UV got it all....CHEAP!(make sure you get the GIFT CARD....you wind-up paying only shipping):

https://www.redstarworldwear.com/
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would recommend going to the Home depot or lowes and just buying the set of safety glasses there. I've had expensive glasses and tried all kinds of cheap ones as well and I've found the plastic safety glasses at lowes to work quite well and because they are more open around the edges the fogging tendancy is reduced to a minimum. I even wear contacts which makes me very susceptible to drying eyes, mud and rain and these glasses blocked all that out really well when i did a 34 mile race this past weekend. It was raining, there was tons of mud and lots of slow uphill with heavy breathing. The glasses did great! The nice thing is if they broke or got scratched or fell off I had 10 pair to replace it back at the house and I wouldn't have lost any money. I bought some Cat Crap spray from rei to help with the fogging and that seemed to help pretty well and bead up the water on the lenses where it could just be wiped off. Another cool thing is because the glasses don't have a very rigid frame if they get thrown in your pocket or back they can withstand some bending and twisting without breaking.

E

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The photochromic/Transition lenses by Oakley and others seem like the perfect thing for mountain biking but I am surprised that there are so few reviews to be found considering they've been around a while. To be able to ride from an unshaded road into a shaded trail and have the glasses adjust seems like an amazing solution that would be popular (if they work and don't have a lot downsides that I don't know about). YouTube video, 8O55W12y_rE from 2008 is the most helpful info I have found about the photochromatic lenses. Has anyone tried these?

Old & Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    I own three pairs of this brand, I rate them as good as Tifosi you guys are kidding about the lawnmower glasses right? I can afford expensive eye wear but I would be upset if I mucked them upEyewear at Price Point
    +1 on the Sette. I rode w/ half jackets until I took a spill last year. Somehow I ended up landing on them and while they are not the most expensive Oakleys out there, they were toast and I was out $110. For riding purposes (and $20) the Settes do just fine.

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymbo View Post
    The photochromic/Transition lenses by Oakley and others seem like the perfect thing for mountain biking but I am surprised that there are so few reviews to be found considering they've been around a while. To be able to ride from an unshaded road into a shaded trail and have the glasses adjust seems like an amazing solution that would be popular (if they work and don't have a lot downsides that I don't know about). YouTube video, 8O55W12y_rE from 2008 is the most helpful info I have found about the photochromatic lenses. Has anyone tried these?
    I like the eyewear with photochromic lenes, and the Julbo Ultra Zebra Light worked in pretty low light conditions.

Julbo Ultra Review | Mountain Bike Review
    Julbo Contest Review | Mountain Bike Review
    Rudy Project Karboneye Review | Mountain Bike Review

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Brown lens is ideal for most MTB conditions. Get Yellow if you see yourself riding in variable light/shady/overcast conditions.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoDirt View Post
    +1 on the Sette. I rode w/ half jackets until I took a spill last year. Somehow I ended up landing on them and while they are not the most expensive Oakleys out there, they were toast and I was out $110. For riding purposes (and $20) the Settes do just fine.
    I just picked up some Sette glasses. Optics were not that great when i tried them on in the house but I am hoping it is not an issue on the bike.

mtbr member
    Gatorz are the best quality, lenses, durability, scratch resistent, and best looking that I've come across.

7075 Aluminum frames are strong and you can form them to your needs, dual 5 barrel hinges, huge lens selection and frame anodizing selection. $110

gatorzeyewear.com

Rode with them for about two years. No fogging or scratches... well, until they got run over by a shuttle van that is.
    Ride your bike and be happy.

mtbr member
    Another vote for smiths. I have always loved their warranty and their cs is awesome. I have the interlock trace now and love em. Came with 3 lenses and a hardcase to store them. Also replacement lenses are not too expensive like the Oakley ones I've seen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I like to ride without glasses. For some reason I feel that I can see better without them. I also do this when I drive. I take my glasses off to see further down the road(searching for cops).
    Transition Covert FTW

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by jij0226 View Post
    I like to ride without glasses. For some reason I feel that I can see better without them. I also do this when I drive. I take my glasses off to see further down the road(searching for cops).
    If you can see better without them, perhaps the lens quality isn't the best? Good lenses have exceptional clarity and shouldn't cause a drop in perception?

I like the protection glasses offer from flung up debris and the wind, but the main reason is UV protection. UV radiation from the sun can damage not only the skin of your eyelid but also the cornea, lens and other parts of the eye. UV exposure also contributes to the development of certain types of cataracts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikestok View Post
    Any issue with fogging on the Jawbones?
    For me it's fine. I have the vented jawbones (clear and dark lenses, going to get some transitions too) I have no issues with fogging so long as I keep moving, even 3mph is fast enough. If I stop I can slide them down my nose a little bit and they won't fog up. They do a really, really good job at keeping the dust and wind out of my eyes--the only thing I've found to be better are goggles but I don't want to wear those mountain biking and the fogging will be way, way worse.

You don't need polarized for biking, polarized is for watersports mostly.

$200 for glasses isn't bad, especially when they come with 2 sets of lenses. If you aren't wreckless or careless with them they will last you for years and oakley is really good about fixing broken glasses. I live near enough to the oakley factory to drive there whenever I've had a problem. I mangled some wire 2.0s pretty bad when a bush ripped them out of my hand as I was putting them on while riding, they replaced them for cheap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    If you can see better without them, perhaps the lens quality isn't the best? Good lenses have exceptional clarity and shouldn't cause a drop in perception?

I like the protection glasses offer from flung up debris and the wind, but the main reason is UV protection. UV radiation from the sun can damage not only the skin of your eyelid but also the cornea, lens and other parts of the eye. UV exposure also contributes to the development of certain types of cataracts.
    It's not that the lenses aren't clear. I just feel more comfortable without glasses. I guess I suffer from some sort of mild claustrophobia
    Transition Covert FTW

mtbr member
    Best safety glasses ive ever had (Ive had TONS). Work great for riding as they are adjustable and super comfortable & clear.

http://http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/smitwesmagsa.html

mtbr member
    Optic Nerve was having a 40% off sale over the weekend. I picked up a pair of some photo lens glasses for 38 shipped with interchangable lens's.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    Really? Because that's the exact opposite of my experience. I bought some MX goggles from them and after only a few days whatever they use to tint the lenses bled all over the place, obviously ruining the lens. I sent it back to them but the warranty dept. said "not a defect" and wouldn't replace. Tossed them out and replaced them with Oakley goggles, and they've been trouble-free for a few years now. That's why my impression of them is that they sell junk and don't stand behind their products, and I'll never buy anything from them again.
    Sorry to read about your experience, and that would sour me on them too. But my experience has been fantastic, like some other posters reported. My Thresholds had earpieces that were shot, and the warranty department not only sent me new frames, they let me swap over to the Spoilers. As long as I don't loose them, I have sunglasses for life.

For casual wear, my Kaenons have some of the best optics I've seen. I'd love to get a pair of their sport glasses, but they're pretty spendy.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    i have a pair of clear ryders, they work well... in the way they are completely covered in mud and grit when im done riding and without them i always end up with crap in my eyes.. But they arnt vented and they fog up in the middle, i know all it would take is a 2mm drill bit and 20min to add porting but meh.

Ventilation is about the only reason i see spending more money on a pair of glasses, honestly next time im at a flee market in florida or hawaii im going to buy a couple pairs yellow tint, dark tint and clear. If they fall apart after a few crashes ohwell 6 pairs of glasses should only cost 40-50.00bucks all together.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    I have some Oakley Splitjackets that I love.. when I'm looking forward and moving, but I find they fog if its cold outside and if I'm trying to get a quick look to sides the joint obscures my vision a bit. I also don't like having to blow 60 bucks on a set of clear lenses.

Right now I'm using some Tifosi Roubaixs that I like - good ventilation and good peripheal vision. Plus set of lenses is 15 bucks.

Ologist
    Smith Pivlok V2 Max - super light, great coverage, and you can change lenses in less than 30 seconds. There is a new pair for almost 50% off here in the classifieds.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3