mtbr member

sunglasses issue. Can they cause color vision issues?

I always wear sunglasses. I am outside in the sun for probably 12-14 hours a day. I work in landscape in the desert so they are a must. I also use the same ones for riding. Well last week I broke my glasses and I got a new different pair. They are a orange tinted lens but when you wear them everything appears to have a blue tint. I was out working all day monday and when I was all done I took them off and everything was a different color without the glasses on. I would not say its all sepia tone, but it looks like I'm living in Oh Brother Where are Thou. like this.
    sunglasses issue. Can they cause color vision issues?-obstackles-o-brother-wherre-art-thou-blind-man.jpg

with the glasses on everything looks normal. take them off and its a yellow washed out color. Red is orange, blue is green and green is yellow. it has not caused any vision issues as far as focus. just color. If it has not changed by monday im going to an ophthalmologist. anybody ever heard of this or seen this? the glasses were a temporary fix until I got new ones. they are actually tinted safety glasses.
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

tire to rim ratio tester
    WTF are you kidding? Sometimes I get color washout but that's for maybe 5 seconds.

Have you taken LSD in the past? That can come back later; it's stored in the fat of the spinal cord and can come out at any time in the future, slowly, where someone doesn't get high or anything but they have visual distortions which can last weeks, months, years. Any prescription drugs, like antibiotics? How is your fruit and vegetable intake, for beta-carotene? Any riboflavin intake?

Blue is a really bad color for your tint, it's the most damaging of all visual light. Let me think of what is happening theoretically. Your new tinted glasses are blue. My computer glasses are tinted yellow to keep out the blue light. So yours in theory are letting in the blue light. And then when you take them off you see more yellow? So maybe your blue receptors are bleached out and by default the yellow receptors are relatively dominant. But I'm surprised it would last for hours. Don't wear those glasses again.
    Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past

mtbr member
    With colored glasses, your eyes/brain try to compensate to make colors seem normal. Take the glasses off, and your eyes/brain has to compensate in the other direction. Going either way takes a little time. This is totally normal and is what happens when you look at stuff under different illumination sources ( sunlight, dawn or dusk, incandescent lights, fluorescent lights, high-pressure sodium lights, etc...). Your eyes and brain are designed to do this and it causes no permanent change to your vision.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    No drugs ever in my life. I dont take any prescriptions, I dont even drink coffee. I had a bad infection 5-6 years ago from a wreck and had some heavy antibiotics with an IV but that's it.

I have not worn those since monday. I went out and got real UV polarized glasses with only tint, no color. but its friday afternoon and nothing has changed. Only thing I can think of is what you said. It filtered one color of the spectrum and damaged the other color receptors.

When I was younger I went skiing for a weekend and got snow blinded and it kinda is similar but a different color. it has not just lasted for hours but days so far. the white background on my monitor is a tint of pink.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

mtbr member
    regular
    sunglasses issue. Can they cause color vision issues?-img_20180914_144346863_hdr.jpg

through the glasses. I did not realize how blue they were till now
    sunglasses issue. Can they cause color vision issues?-img_20180914_144343027_hdr.jpg

they dont look blue/green like that with them on
    Frank Lloyd Wright

mtbr member
    get off the computer and go to a doctor lol. Good luck. I wear amber tinted lenses every time I ride a MTB and i wear rose colored glasses every time i ride a road bike, I never have any issues like this.

mtbr member
    I know. Never check webMD. Put in your symptoms and next thing you know you have a female issue and last you checked you are a man. Just curious since majority of riders wear glasses. And those who don't should.

Im going tomorrow to get a check. Keep people updated

mtbr member
    went to the Dr. basically it is just like snow blindness. She said the biggest problem is that they are heavily filtered in one spectrum and not UV. It will go away within the next few days.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post

Have you taken LSD in the past? That can come back later; it's stored in the fat of the spinal cord and can come out at any time in the future, slowly, where someone doesn't get high or anything but they have visual distortions which can last weeks, months, years. Any prescription drugs, like antibiotics? How is your fruit and vegetable intake, for beta-carotene? Any riboflavin intake?

I think this is the most probable and common sense explanation.

You will have to stop dipping your baby carrots in hallucinogens at snack time, and should likely start weight watchers for your spinal cord.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    But ranch dip is just the not the same without LSD. It's what gives it that kick...
    Frank Lloyd Wright

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    ...She said the biggest problem is that they are heavily filtered in one spectrum and not UV. It will go away within the next few days.
    Did she test this or is she just speculating? How old are the sun glasses. Filtering UV is cheap and easy and virtually all eye glasses (corrective, sun, eye protection), tinted or clear, block UV. I think you'd have to back 20 or 30+ years to find glasses that don't block UV.
    Do the math.

EAT MORE GRIME
    blue light stresses the eyes

get lenses that do not transmit blue and are certified 100% UVA UVB blocking
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    They are brand new. She just did a simple test with a handheld uv light and a chart to test how much filtering they had.

mtbr member
    I'm sure your doc already said this, but throw away those sunglasses.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    ^that

Really dark specialty glasses go the opposite way, and it's probably for good reason. I have a couple pairs of glacier glasses, which are 5% light transmission or less, and they turn everything a very muted sepia. Vision is totally normal when I take them off...opposite effect of OP, actually, you pull them off and everything is SUPER vibrant, which leads to some awesome moments out in the mountains.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    They are brand new. She just did a simple test with a handheld uv light and a chart to test how much filtering they had.
    Did the LSD question come up? I need to know please.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    The blood tests came back negative for LSD, Cannabis, THC, nicotine, cocaine, opioids, and caffeine. However it did come back positive on Macadamia nut cliff bar.
    Frank Lloyd Wright