mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Sunglasses with a foam strip?

I hope I'm not the only one with this problem. Sweat runs down my face from my helmet and onto my sunglasses. Obviously it obscures vision. I also wear clear lenses during evening descents. So sweat rolls down my face and onto the lens. Can you recommend a brand of sunglasses with a foam strip on the top? Any other suggestions? A bandana under the helmet?

Thanks,

Jake

Trailhead Poseur
    I find Halo headbands to be pretty effective. They're a neoprene headband with a rubber strip that runs across the bottom, which does a good job of channeling sweat away from your eyes after the band itself becomes saturated.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    +1 on the Halo sweatband, as the answer you seek.

mtbr member
    Oakley just re-released some 'retro' styles, and the Factory Pilot had a foam strip.

That being said, I join d365 and jjaguar in recommending a sweatband or helmet liner. I prefer helmet liners over headbands.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

EDR

Re: Sunglasses with a foam strip?

Halo. Carry a spare or two in hot weather and swap them out as you ride. I just tie them to the back of my pack and by the time I need it again it will be dry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    A regular cycling cap moves the 'drip point' out far enough that it stays out of eyes. Sometimes it'll get blown or knocked onto my glasses but generally falls clear . The halo works well also, but i find that they leave a pink groove across my forehead for quite a while after so the cap is my preferred.

now, if I could figure a way to keep my toxic sweat from staining my raw frame..

mtbr member
    Getting a little off topic, but toxic sweat can be a real problem - I've seen bikes break because the salt has eaten through the aluminum frame tubes. Rinsing your bike could actually be a safety step, Kark; and a painted frame will last longer (paint is protective as well as cosmetic).

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-ti View Post
    Getting a little off topic, but toxic sweat can be a real problem - I've seen bikes break because the salt has eaten through the aluminum frame tubes. Rinsing your bike could actually be a safety step, Kark; and a painted frame will last longer (paint is protective as well as cosmetic).
    True, and thanks for the cautionary tale. I'm pretty confident about keeping it to cosmetic, at least so far, but I can well appreciate the concern.
    I've never heard of failures from sweat myself but have heard accounts of damage caused by sport drinks around the pem-nuts for bottle cages.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I had the Oakley factory pilots back in the day with the foam strip. Did nothing for me. I have a Sweat Buster on one of my helmets and it works really well. Tried a rubber gutter type headband years ago. Meh.

mtbr member

Sunglasses with a foam strip?

Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    +1 on the Halo sweatband, as the answer you seek.
    Another halo lover. They come in lots of styles, sweatbands, skullcaps etc. I have a great one with ear flaps for winter. They wash up nicely too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk