Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Sunglasses; Price ??

O.K. So for the last year I have been using a $20 pair of generic sunglasses with 100% UVA and UVB protection. The lenses are plasticand showing some scratches.

Is there really a good reason to spend $250 + on a pair of say, Oakleys?

What do they offer?

I'm thinking even if I replace my off brand once a year I'm ahead of the game.

The question is how much is bragging rights vs a true optical improvement.

mtbr member
    I went from cheaper 20$-45$ sunglasses to a pair of high end julbo sunlglasses ...i must say the improvement in optical quality is enormous, i never tough it woud make such a difference. Everything is clearer, contrasts are better plus they adapt to light change conditions.

That said. I feel like I can adapt to anything, riding with the old one feel crappy at first but after a few minutes i forget about it....its like riding a bike with shimano deore group vs one with xtr group....both get the job done.

I still think the better quality is way better overall and I'm quite sure its better for your
    Eyes also.
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

Picture Unrelated
    I can't ride with cheap sunglasses, the optics give me a headache after just a few minutes so I've always had moderately expensive sunglasses. I'm in the market for a new pair, probably the new Oakley Racing Jackets (had the ridiculous old pair too which I loved) due to the ability to swap out lenses for light conditions.

Anyway, if you're worried about scratches well spending more money isn't necessarily going to change that. I have found that more expensive lenses usually are more scratch resistant, but that's absolutely not the case all the time. You do learn, quite quickly, that taking care of your expensive sunglasses is important and for me that's enough to keep them in good shape for years. Oakley, for example, can provide you with replacement lenses for almost every frame they make and they're pretty easy to install. Or, if you have an Oakley store near you they can usually do it for you. Or, if you get a replaceable lens frame like the Jawbone or similar then you can just order replacement lenses and pop them in very quickly. Of course, those lenses cost more than low cost entire sunglasses so you have to weigh the benefits for your own use. For me, it's easy because cheap optics give me a headache.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gridtalker View Post
    The difference between Oakley and a $20 glasses is huge. you wont be disappointed at all
    Agreed.

However, the difference between $250 Oakleys and other high end (but not quite as pricey) eyewear such as Smith, Julbo, Native, etc is not as dramatic. Once you get into the higher end glasses, it really comes down to fit, features (swappable lenses, etc), and a look that you're comfortable with.

All that said, I love my Oakleys. I'm a graphic designer and photographer, so I'm pretty sensitive to optical fidelity. The Oakley Asian Fit models definitely fit my head better than others, a lot of glasses tend to sit on my cheeks, with very little contact at the nose bridge. I like the Radar Path lenses, they do a great of blocking the wind at high speeds and rarely fog up.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

Old N Slow
    I ride with Rudy Projects, IMO just as good as Oakleys for less $$$$. You can also get replacement lens fairly cheap. The pair I ride with are 12 years old just replaced the nose pads once an the lens once. Very durable.

mtbr member
    You might want to check out Tifosi. I was a former $20 sunglass (polarized of course) kind of guy until my wife got a pair of Tifosi's that darkened automatically. Super helps on those beat nightfall to the parking lot rides. Never fog, never tear..

Tifosi Optics Sunglasses - Home

Sunglasses; Price ??-2013-02-08_1649_zps38eb6c3d.png

Lots of places carry them (I'm not suggesting any particular vendor) there are lots of different models and $70 is a whole lot less than $250. I'm not sorry.

Hank

pin it
    I've owned several pairs of Oakley sunglasses over many many years (I was a roadie and commuter before I discovered mtnb)
    I tried switching up to other brands and styles but I always returned to Oakley

Some reasons: They are comfortable, they don't slide off, they look stylish, there is a huge selection with a good price range. I have Oakley goggles that I wear for DH x 2 years and I only had to replace the plastic lens. Last fall I purchased a pair of Fast Jacket which comes with two sets of interchangeable lenses and a silk pouch. They look great, fit perfectly and don't fog up. I felt it was time to retire my vintage M frames purchased in 2003

Many styles have prescription lens option

Oakleys generally are pricey but they have the best selection for diverse needs. I have not found a replacement
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    A lot of high end glasses are High Tech, look sweet, make you win races, etc., but there are plenty of stylin alternatives. I would much rather put my money into a new set of XT hydraulic brakes than glasses. I use Uvex and Edge(and a few others) glasses...safety glasses that is(there are many others too). Specifically the Uvex Genesis X2 and the Edge Datura. Both come in many different lens shades, colors, etc. I know one of the Edge reps. He shared with me a few stories about his last trip to their manufacturer in Taiwan. They have their glasses made in Taiwan at the same factories were several high end brands mentioned in this string are made. Before the factory tools up to run their glasses they are un-tooling the other brands. Edge also has a bunch of quirky videos giving their glasses various types of kinetic force, even canine forces. Edge Eyewear. I do not work for any of the companies listed; just a satisfied customer.

Safety glasses have to meet stringent testing requirements (ANSI Z87) which can make a big difference in a crash. Uvex and Edge even go beyond ANSI Z87 requirements. A few years ago a bunch of us were bombing down a gravel road to connect to more single track in American Fork Canyon, one rider went down on a corner. He went down hard and was in bad shape; I know as I performed first aid on him. Three of the five significant cuts on his face were from the lens of his high end glasses. All would require stitches. The frame broke apart and the lens came out. He helmet was in pieces(saved him), had lots of gravel road rash, a broken collar bone and went into shock. Luckily we found some folks with a car and we got him to a hospital. I used ten butterfly bandages on his face and needed more. He had three bike-less months recovering. Yeah, I know safety glasses are not bullet proof, but they are better protection than non-ANSI Z87 glasses.

As far as optics go, try a pair of Uvex Genesis (X2 or other models[they have a newer slimmer one]). If we were riding buddies, I would let you lead the next ride if you didn't like them. They might set you back $ 10-15. You can buy a lot of safety glasses for the price of some high-end glasses. Also most of us know the pain of loosing an expensive pair of glasses.

If you ride in the winter, pretty tough to beat the anti-fog ability of Uvex glasses with UvExtreme coating. in 2012, Edge came out with a new coating that is actually better(Vapor Shield, there is a video about it on their site), but I prefer the Uvex Genesis for its field of vision. I am an addicted snow rider. Used my Uvex Genesis today on a slog through new snow and with temps 20-25.

Oh yeah, I read your mind. I do own a pair of Oakley Half Jackets. I have tried them in winter riding too. They fogged quickly and wouldn't clear. Of course I didn't buy them, have you been listening. They were given to me for payment for bike maintenance I performed on a friend's bike.

Even if you do not use safety glasses for biking, do yourself a favor and use safety glasses when working with powertools, nail guns, etc.

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ill second the tifosi recommendation. there is a middle ground between $20 and $250, ive been very happy with my tifosi also.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    One of the reasons for stupid high prices on Oakley glasses is they are owned by Luxottica who pretty much controls the eye glass and frame market. They also own Pearl Vision, LensCrafters, and Sunglass Hut. Glasses are typically marked up 20x the cost to produce them. 60 minutes did a great expose on that company and it was eye opening (pun intended) and disconcerting as they are clearly price gouging customers. At one point Oakley did try to go toe to toe with the giant company but eventually gave in as they were getting squeezed out at every turn. Here is a recent news piece that popped up on AOL about glasses and their prices.

Get Eye-Opening Savings on Glasses -- Savings Experiment - DailyFinance
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Fakeleys? anyone?

http://www.oakleysunglassesonlineoutlet.com/

Some of my best sunglasses have been from Chinese Street Vendors..

Hank

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post
    Fakeleys? anyone?

http://www.oakleysunglassesonlineoutlet.com/

Some of my best sunglasses have been from Chinese Street Vendors..

Hank
    do these even meet any safety standards? UVA/UVB? no specs listed. now it would be interesting to see if you can fit original oakley lenses in these frames.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

Quiet Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    do these even meet any safety standards? UVA/UVB? no specs listed. now it would be interesting to see if you can fit original oakley lenses in these frames.
    No they dont. We talk about it over at oakleyforum.com and o-review. They give a false scence of security and can damage the eyes. They allow the retina to open further allowing more damage to they eyes. I only use Oakleys, but there are other brands out there that have the uv safety standard oakley has. I have a Oakley goverment account so I get all my oakley stuff for about half off.

Quiet Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    One of the reasons for stupid high prices on Oakley glasses is they are owned by Luxottica who pretty much controls the eye glass and frame market. They also own Pearl Vision, LensCrafters, and Sunglass Hut. Glasses are typically marked up 20x the cost to produce them. 60 minutes did a great expose on that company and it was eye opening (pun intended) and disconcerting as they are clearly price gouging customers. At one point Oakley did try to go toe to toe with the giant company but eventually gave in as they were getting squeezed out at every turn. Here is a recent news piece that popped up on AOL about glasses and their prices.

Get Eye-Opening Savings on Glasses -- Savings Experiment - DailyFinance
    Oakleys were expensive before they were bought out. Many of us prefer the brand before this happened, but they are still made to the same standards started by Jim Jannard

mtbr member
    I got a pair of these on e-bay and I have to say they don't look much worse than any real oakley's I've seen. I'm sure lenses are probably not too good for my eyes comparing to brand name ones, but I might take a risk and buy authentic Oakley lens and see if they fit...

Anybody out there that tried this already?
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEGGA View Post
    I got a pair of these on e-bay and I have to say they don't look much worse than any real oakley's I've seen. I'm sure lenses are probably not too good for my eyes comparing to brand name ones, but I might take a risk and buy authentic Oakley lens and see if they fit...

Anybody out there that tried this already?
    yeah, let us know if you find out something. fitting oakley lens in fake frame could be option for many of us. its always better to smash/break/lose $70 instead of $300. i go through 3-4 pairs of glasses a season so genuine oakleys are no go for me.
    HuRa
    website facebook

mtbr member
    I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these...

New Walleva Polarized Black Vented Lenses for Oakley Jawbone | eBay

Yes, they are not authentic, but it will at least show me if Oakley lenses can be used with my sunglasses as I'm quite sure they fit authentic Jawbones... It might help you guys with not spending 150$ on a frame that will get trashed anyway and using 16$ frame while using quality lenses leaves some money for the bike upgrades... As a bonus, they are probably better than lenses I currently have... I'm getting bunch of great deals on ebay, on what was supposedly a low quality ripoffs (Getting something that looks like authentic TLD Moto shorts for 40$ shipped was quite nice) So who knows, maybe these turn out to be as good as Oakley lenses that are probably 2,5x more expensive just because of the name itself.

At least I wouldn't drop 50$+ for something that doesn't fit... (and which would probably make me buy authentic Jawbone frame in case they don't ))) )

I can live with taking my chance on 20$ )))
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity...

mtbr member
    what about optic nerve? about the same price as tifosi. designwise they are more apealing to me. also do people prefer interchangeable lenses ( smoke, persimon, clear) vs photochromatic for biking?
    HuRa
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lazer Electron EC1 for less than $100
    I've been very happy with them.

mtbr member
    Try Sierra trading post for good prices on slightly outdated high quality glasses at a good price.

Maybe something like this

Or these.

Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the post about Uvex and Edge. They look very interesting. I have a pair of Serfa Sykes interchangeable that I have had since 2006. I have to change the little rubber nose things constantly, and I ran over them with my bike once so they are hanging on, but barely. I may get some new frames for them. I like having the hard case with the different lenses in them, and I do change them out, but I may get a pair of Uvex and a pair of Edge just to try something a little different.

beater

Sunglasses; Price ??

I'll put in a plug for Smith. You'll never find a better warranty. If you don't lose your glasses, you're set for life.

Out of all of the sport sunglasses I've tried, my favorite optics are Kaenon.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Michigan Wolverine
    I'm a fan of Spy myself. I used their old NeoScoop model for a long time before recently upgrading to the Screw. Absolutely love them.
    Amassing Miles - My Little Cycling Blog

Austin, Texas
    Alright! I bought a pair of the Uvex Genesis X2 with smoke lenses, and I'll more than likely end up buying some yellow lenses to go with them. Then I bought some Edge Dakura with copper lenses, along with a pair of Edge Fast Link with the Tiger Eyes lenses that I will primarily use for shooting. All for less than $40 bucks. I might just have to buy a pair of the Edge Brazeau whites...just cause they look cool.

mtbr member
    I use Edge on a daily basis at work and I really like the fit and the style. I have owned two or three pair for personal use and have no complaints.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast