mtbr member
    May 2013

Sun burn protection

so i have vitiligo. and I'm a bike messenger full body vitiligo. I recently bought Columbia omni freeze.. but my arms still get red.....I need help

troll
    But if I were you, I'd wear full coverage clothing + sunscreen to be safe. UV still gets through cloth if you're out in it long enough. Columbia, North Face and others make great outdoor fabrics that wick moisture and keep you cool and protected. Look for shirts that are specific to water activities.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Living in ultra sunny Tucson and having damaged my skin being a landscaper for decades I ride with long sleeve Royal Racing light colored shirts and a Pace head cover to absorb sweat and cover my neck. I use the white skull cap that has a neck shading tail. Pace Sportswear, Inc.
    I am interested in the Columbia shirts as it's damn hot here all summer. UV protection is lousy?
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'll third the clothing coverage doubled with sunscreen. You might want to try a running store for really lightweight, long-sleeved shirts. As far as the sunblock, you really need to slather it on to get full protection. Or maybe a dermatologist would have advice on sunblock.

troll
    I visit my dermatologist once a year. She tells me anything in the 35-50 SPF range is perfectly fine, so long as you apply it properly (about a tablespoon for each limb). Buying anything over 50 SPF is really just marketing hype to get you to spend more. There's really no more protection above what's marked as 50.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've heard the same thing about SPF 50. It makes parents like me think we're protecting our kids better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I would look into rash guards and sun shirts as they're usually UPF rated and have a jersey feel to them. Toes on the Nose makes a long sleeve rash guard that has an awesome feel to it and I believe it's UPF 45. I also have a Quiksilver rash guard that I use for a jersey and I like the fit and feel better than most of my actual bike jerseys.

Another thing to look at would be the Patagonia Polarized T. Comes in both long and short sleeve and has a unique fabric feel that I personally like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi,
    One of the most important things to do after sunburn, apply a generous amount of aloe vera Gel. This helps your skin to recover from burns. Try it out, feels great.
    (first post)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    For the best protection, I agree with the clothing along with sunblock. I just ordered some of the Blue Lizard products online. My dermatologist highly recommended it. One of the few that contains zinc oxide. Some Walgreens carry it but the 2 near my house didn't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Superflying View Post
    Hi,
    One of the most important things to do after sunburn, apply a generous amount of aloe vera Gel. This helps your skin to recover from burns. Try it out, feels great.
    (first post)
    If you live where you can grow aloes they are more effective fresh than the bottled gel.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I was always under the impression that clothes in general were enough to protect you from the sun, but after seeing my dermatologist recently I now know better. She recommended the Coolibar brand of clothing to check out if I'm an active outdoors guy, even if I'm mountain biking under shaded trees... I'm sure there are other brands out there, but this could be a start.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Sun burn protection

I just bought a Marmot and North Face outdoor T shirts and they both boast UPF 50 protection. It does note that as they stretch and get washed repeatedly they will degrade in protection but it does block the sun pretty well.

They were clearing out summer stock and I wound up getting 2 for 1. Might be good to check out some outdoor stores right about now. This was an independent outfitter and didn't specialize in MTB wear but I don't like cycling jerseys in the first place and these aren't as flashy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cannondale Snob
    Bullfrog sunscreen. I think the SPF 35 or 45 stuff? It comes out like a gel, feels like alcohol evaporating off your skin, and doesn't leave much residue behind. All-day protection from a single morning application when I'd sail my beach catamaran in the FL summers, and do a little birthday-suit sunbathing as well. (So, yes, it's sweat-proof and salt-water proof, too.)

The hardest part is to actually cover everything, as it's hard to tell where you haven't put it. I once had 4 bright red burn lines across my back from the space between my fingers leaving gaps in the coverage :P
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I picked up Voler SolSkins arm and knee covers - white is crazy for MTB but it beats the perpetual application of sunscreen and helps with poison ivy, branches, ticks and chiggers.

They are cool once you sweat through them. These have lasted about two seasons, I'll probably try a different brand for next year, preferably one that is knitted seamless - the seams behind my knees chafe after a while.

They seem to have a slightly higher SPF than my jerseys as I can see slight tan lines that make it through my jersey.

I have been known to wear these while mowing the lawn - no doubt the neighbors think the crazy bicycle couple is nuts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The general idea is that since sunscreen prevents sunburn, it also logically prevents skin cancer. While there might be some logic to this, there is not actually any science to back it up.