Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

summer gloves - fingers or not?

It's getting hot and gonna be hotter. Fingers or fingerless. I must admit that I'm too much the red-neck fashionista to wear the retro-roadie mesh gloves, which are probably the coolest.

gratzi,

-capt pearl

Domestic Fowl
    I wear FOX full-finger gloves and love 'em. The back is cool-max type mesh and they breathe well.

mtbr member
    I like the golve that have the elongated index and middle fingers. That way if it's bushy out and the ride is tight single track.... your brake fingers don't get scratched up.

mtbr member
    If you can get over the white trashyness go fingerless.....I have the Pearl Izumi sport gels (I think) and I love em....

TNC
    noMAD man

Trail=fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by capt pearl
    It's getting hot and gonna be hotter. Fingers or fingerless. I must admit that I'm too much the red-neck fashionista to wear the retro-roadie mesh gloves, which are probably the coolest.

gratzi,

-capt pearl
    Not sure what kind of trails you're riding, but I haven't ridden any trails that I'd do with fingerless gloves. Unless you're just tooling around on one of those city bike paths or something, it just doesn't make sense. You're gonna crash, and that high dollar manicure from the beauty shop is gonna be toast.

Freshly Fujified

Fingerless

Never tried a full finger glove in warm weather. Will have to try them, but for now, am quite comfortable in my fingerless gloves, thank you.

Clyde
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member

Full finger

My hands sweat regardless of which kind I choose. If you crash as much as I do, you'll appreciate the additional protection of full finger gloves. I learned the hard way.

I loved my Fox 1/2 finger gloves but my Specialized full fingers fit great and have the cotton/terry patch on top of thumb portion allowing for a nose/sweat wipe when needed.

C

here today

gratzi,

-capt pearl
    I go thru gloves like ... underwear - buy inexpensive, well fitting & good feel - just received 661 Raji's today - fingers - probably not enough protection but I promise I'll try to stay on the bike more often

de nada

jrm
    mtbr member

Allways full fingered

gratzi,

-capt pearl
    on the dirt and road. Fox and Ck make some light/breathable gloves.

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

trail riding

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    You're gonna crash, and that high dollar manicure from the beauty shop is gonna be toast.
    ahhh, but i look so *tuff* with my chipped nails.

I rode 3 years of beginner crashing with half-finger gloves. lost one. rode all winter with full finger and loved them. they are currently... misplaced. The Southern heat's a-coming so I'm trying to decide b/w Summer Gloves and Winter Gloves or just Gloves.

I'm leaning toward cheap as, apparently, I misplace them.

plus, a boy's gotta protect his manicure.

gratzi,

-capt p

Des(s)ert Rat
    Full fingered for this girl. I like the extra protection from my brain fart moves into the rocks or trees.

TNC
    noMAD man

LOL! Might look...

ahhh, but i look so *tuff* with my chipped nails.

I rode 3 years of beginner crashing with half-finger gloves. lost one. rode all winter with full finger and loved them. they are currently... misplaced. The Southern heat's a-coming so I'm trying to decide b/w Summer Gloves and Winter Gloves or just Gloves.

I'm leaning toward cheap as, apparently, I misplace them.

plus, a boy's gotta protect his manicure.

gratzi,

-capt p
    at your local motorcycle shops too. I've worked at both motorcycle and bicycle shops, and I think the motorcycle stuff may often be a little better and a little cheaper. Most of my gloves come the motorcycle shop. I just bought a pair of Answer gloves that are awesome for breathability, light weight, and protection. Motorcycle guys don't like heat any more than bicycle guys. I know what you mean about the heat. I live in west Texas, and it's already warmin' up here too.

mtbr member

gratzi,

-capt pearl
    Here in AZ, I wear fingered gloves year round, cuz of the proximity of the trail to cacti. Of course, they didn't help for squat two weeks ago, as I was too close to the edge of a handle-bar high cholla, and got stuck right in the hand while riding. It's a pain trying to dig those little suckers out from the inside of a full fingered glove.

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

moto shops - sport or hog leanings?

If the gloves protect and still breathe, I'd be happy with moto gloves. Maybe it'd give me some moto-mojo for the doubles :^)!

sport or hog leaning shops for glove selection?

gratzi,

-capt p

Sofa King We Todd Did
    For road riding, I think I'm going to give the fingerless gloves a try, so I just ordered a pair. I rode sleeveless in 80-degree weather yesterday and LOVED the ventilation. On the trails, however, it's a full-fingered setup for me. I fall a bit too much and I'd hate to mess up my completely fabulous manicure.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

Good job!

I use Answer Stylus MX gloves. I don't think they're available anymore as not listed on website. They're about 3 years old.
    Last edited by revrnd; 04-19-2005 at 06:30 PM.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

I like pie
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zenmonkey
    I go thru gloves like ... underwear - buy inexpensive, well fitting & good feel - just received 661 Raji's today - fingers - probably not enough protection but I promise I'll try to stay on the bike more often

de nada
    I have the SixSixOne Rajis too, I wear em year round. They don't stay "purty" very long (little rubber finger pads fall off, briars will pull threads, etc) but I've had em for about a year now. Love the way they feel.

Yummy
    I pity the foo that rides with half-finger gloves.

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

here today

double glove day

Quote Originally Posted by RidgeRunner
    I have the SixSixOne Rajis too, I wear em year round. They don't stay "purty" very long (little rubber finger pads fall off, briars will pull threads, etc) but I've had em for about a year now. Love the way they feel.
    Not only did I get the Rajis I ordered today but my wife just got back from a trip to the States (Madison, WI) and she brought me .... Fox Sidewinders - lovely gloves, lovely girl...

mtbr member
    I got some Oakley full fingers this winter and love them so much I probably won't be going back to my Nike halfs. They just fit so well, hold great, and I definitely like the extra protection. They aren't hot at all, so far. Of course, I am in TX here, so we will see if I still feel this way when it is 100.
    "Kurt is up in heaven now."

RIP Vonnegut

Who are the brain police?
    Where's that guy (and who was he?) that always posted about his gloveless method with elastics and cloth.. Anyone remember this?

*FWIW: Always full fingered gloves. You get hot and sweaty no matter what, so might as well have the protection..
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Full fingered gloves - even when it's 115 degrees outside. Proper hydration is more important. On really warm days, I've gone through 3 liters of water in a little over an hour.

Ya, right.
    Full finger gloves--ALWAYS!! It only took one bad crash in half finger gloves for me to learn my lesson. No more hamburger fingers in full fingered.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Bad Case of the Mondays

gratzi,

-capt pearl
    I always wear full fingers. Half fingers do nothing for me at all. I come from a MX background though, so that might have something to do with it. My Specialized gloves breathe really well, never really had a problem with my hands getting too hot.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

FF'd All year round

Full Finger ! Got 2 pair of RaceFace DH "favorites"- (both almost worn out), Fox Sidewinder (good hot day glove), Salsa Beefyass (don't know the name) Winter glove then got a Specialized (don't know the name) windblocker pair (bonechillin cold weather glove.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast