mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Suggestion for helmet for large grape

I have a large head and need a helmet...I have a cheapy Schwinn helmet and it's terrible...Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Go to your lbs/bike retailer and try on helmets until you find a helmet that fits your head at a price you are willing to pay. I have a large melon but Specialized helmets fit my head better than any other brand I've tried.
    The Good Times are Killing me

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Check out this thread for some good discussion re: large helmet options and opinions: XL/XXL helmet for irregular noggin with a shunt?
    Jim B
    XSportsProtective
    (800)930-4084
    www.XSportsProtective.com
    info@XSportsProtective.com

No Stranger to danger....
    First of all OP , you need to measure your head.
    Get a tape measure and measure from just above your eye brows all the way round the back of your head, a dress making tape measure is the best for this.
    Ive got a big head to, it measures 61cm around.
    Now this is the measurment that all helmets are based on, if you got to a good helmet makers website lets use fox for example, you will see charts, these charts will tell you what size you need, ie, i fit a L/XL fox flux or a L/XL 661 comp shifted full face which out of memory takes a 62cm head max.

Now this will put you in the right range of what to buy but remember all heads are different so you might wanna try a few first, but i dont i just use charts and order them from CRC and they all fit fine for me, cheers mate
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Forgot to add, try and get a helmet that comes down a bit at the back, they offer more protection ,look better n feel better, they dont sit on top of your head like a mushroom.
    check out the Fox flux which is one of the best selling and highly regarded ones going round, or the 661 recon, or the Urge enduromatic, all top helmets you could even throw the Poc Trabec in there too....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Bern makes a few bucket style helmets (minus the visor that you get on most 'mtb' helmets. They come in either hard polycarbonate or carbon (looks nice). Not everyone's cup of tea, but they do come in 4 distinct sizes, S, M, L, XL.

I always size my helmets to the larger size that fits, as I wear bandanas/balaclavas/hats underneath depending on the temperature.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrapeNutsRobot View Post
    Go to your lbs/bike retailer and try on helmets until you find a helmet that fits your head at a price you are willing to pay. I have a large melon but Specialized helmets fit my head better than any other brand I've tried.
    Helmet fit is very important for comfort and safety. Stick with a good LBS for expert fitting and advice on helmets.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Don't rule out the Giro Feature. If you can try one please do!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have a huge head and the fox flux L/XL is close to maxxed out on me but I love it, it is a great lid

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Louis Garneau fits large round heads. Not so much large oval heads.

Imagine if you where a puffer fish trying to fit on a helmet, poor lil buggers....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This is so funny. Been sittin here reading and laughing while watching the OK/WVa game.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just got home from REI. Tried a couple Giro helmets but the Bell Influx fit my funny shape head best. Not sure how good it is for safely but it's what I'll be wearing.

Jkj
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    THE is good for big round head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just picked this up...worst case it doesnt fit...best case - at $49 it's a steal.

BlueSkyCycling.com - Fox Flux Helmet 2012