mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Suggest me some baggy shorts.....

I'm a semi-reformed roadie with a strong XC bent so I usually wear just lycra on the MTB. I'd like to get some baggy shorts though. So I ordered a few pairs from the closeout list at Art's, and I'm not really thrilled with what I got. The fabrics are too thin and legs too baggy. And there's nothing I like in the LBS (I should know, I work there).

I'm looking for:

-heavier than average fabric that will survive abrasion
    -length approx. to the knees
    -narrow legs- this is important
    -zippered pockets a real plus

Anyone got suggestions?

used to be RipRoar
    Have a look at ZOIC, Club Ride, KitsBow ($$$), Endura (singletrack) to get started...

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    So far between zoic fox and endura I like the pocket design of endura the best, their sizing is weird for me 220, (aka husky) haha. I usually wear xl but have to wear xxl in themb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh, So Interesting!
    Thin material is a trend, and imo it's nicer in every way except abrasion resistance, you don't want to get into that for other than DH type riding. Fit and pedaling comfort are so much more important.

That said, I've been impressed with my 100% and Mavic shorts lately but lots of good stuff out there. If you don't know exactly what you want buying from an LBS might be a good way to go. This is one piece where fit is key, if you order online there is a high probability you'll be paying a few rounds of shipping.

mtbr member
    Pearl Izumi Launch or one of their other models of baggy shorts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Kohl renegade 12” inseam shorts

Quote Originally Posted by gartenmeister View Post
    I'm a semi-reformed roadie with a strong XC bent so I usually wear just lycra on the MTB. I'd like to get some baggy shorts though. So I ordered a few pairs from the closeout list at Art's, and I'm not really thrilled with what I got. The fabrics are too thin and legs too baggy. And there's nothing I like in the LBS (I should know, I work there).

I'm looking for:

Anyone got suggestions?
    I love these shorts (I own several), I have compared to many brands in bike shops, & Kuhl Renegade check off all my needs: Light, tough, stretchy, right amount of “baggy ness” (very subjective), zippered pockets, 12” inseam longer length. DWR & 50 UPF. No, I have nothing to do with Kuhl. REI carries them.

mtbr member
    I recently picked up a pair of the Pearl Izumi Summit shorts. I'm #140 and they fit pretty slim on me. Being fairly skinny...most "slim" baggy shorts are still flappy on me. These fit me pretty good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gartenmeister View Post
    I'm looking for:

Anyone got suggestions?
    Endura Hummvee II short: https://www.endurasport.com/product/hummvee-short-ii-/

These are heavier then most shorts, have zippered pockets, also come in 3/4 length and come with inner liner with pad
    2019 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon
    - DT Swiss XRC 1200 Wheels
    - Race Face Next Cranks
    - Chris King BB
    - ODI Rouge Grips

mtbr member
    Hy!
    Endura and Sugoi staff is top Notch!

Sugoi: Sugoi

a have these and they are

and also Endura:https://www.endurasport.com/products...C_3-NAV_CAT_19

i also have these
    for those colder thays,they are very good!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    POC Trail Vent Shorts might meet your needs. Thicker material than my other shorts and nice and narrow in the legs. They have become my favorite pair. Only
    negative would be the “zip zip” noise they make while pedaling. Like my grade school corduroys!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Yeti Freeland and Patagonia Dirt Craft are two of my favorites. I really like all of patagonia's wavefarer shorts too. They are surf shorts but it's a super lightweight stretch material that's perfect over a liner or chamois.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I ride with Chrome shorts. They've been very durable through my first season back on the bike, and they are made with a stretch material that feels very comfortable. Not padded but double stitch everywhere and a reenforced crotch (who doesn't need that ).

They have different models depending on the length of cut for the leg and design changes.

www.chromeindustries.com

They feel bombproof, but if there is an issue it's most likely they will fix it for free. They also have an in house sewing crew that I used recently to fix an issue with some stitching coming loose on my 12 yr old messenger bag. They fixed it next day and at no charge.

...and it's all made in the USA.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    I have these in my collection, and like them for the most part:

Pearl Izumi (13y/o Titan short that's no longer made, but Pearl makes good stuff that lasts).
    Kitsbow (the fit on these is second to nothing else I've tried, but I did have to size up)
    Club Ride (these are only okay for me, probably my least favorite, and mostly because the fit isn't quite there)
    Fox (good, not too fancy, reliable, got 'em on sale)
    NZO (small New Zealand company, also makes nice stuff)

I also have some REI Novara baggies that I really hate. The fit on them is just terrible. Should probably get rid of them so they don't clutter up my drawer anymore.

I don't care for the thickness of the heavy duty Endura Humvee shorts, but the super dainty fabrics are just too lightweight for me. One of the reasons I wear baggies is to shrug off snagging thorns that shred lycra (and skin underneath). Too many of those super light fabrics make no effort to be thorn resistant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I love Bontrager Lithos shorts with velcro belt (not the cheaper ones with buckle).

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    Recently got some Troy Lee Skyline shorts & really like them. Solid velcro instead of zipper, nice low profile snap, zipper pockets, and a great inner short with comfy chamois. My new favorite

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Unfortunately those arent made for us fatties
    Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    Recently got some Troy Lee Skyline shorts & really like them. Solid velcro instead of zipper, nice low profile snap, zipper pockets, and a great inner short with comfy chamois. My new favorite

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rad3144 View Post
    Unfortunately those arent made for us fatties
    All my fat is from the waist up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Hate to say it but Kitsbow. I held out for a long time thinking it was just over-priced, Marin-county, hipster hype. But I got a pair of the Vented AM shorts and these things are the real deal. Great fit (trim, nothing flapping around), nice stretch to the fabric and top notch construction. I liked them enough that I bought another pair of the Adjustable AM shorts at full pop. Now I'm eyeing the Radiator tee...
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel
    Pivot Mach 5.5 - in progress

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cchough View Post
    Hate to say it but Kitsbow. I held out for a long time thinking it was just over-priced, Marin-county, hipster hype. But I got a pair of the Vented AM shorts and these things are the real deal. Great fit (trim, nothing flapping around), nice stretch to the fabric and top notch construction. I liked them enough that I bought another pair of the Adjustable AM shorts at full pop. Now I'm eyeing the Radiator tee...

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Oops blank reply, I don’t need to hear that noise! $$

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    On the longer and warm side but race face ambush shorts are my favorite. Tough and high quality.

mtbr member
    Oops blank reply, I don’t need to hear that noise! $$
    HAHAHA! Yeah, it kinda sucks but they really are nice. Looking at the Kitsbow website, the shorts are still on sale ($130) and they do have XXL in stock. Still a little pricey but not crazy. The problem is that it's a closeout sale with no returns.
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel
    Pivot Mach 5.5 - in progress

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    A shout out for Indola (in particular the perrenial model) from South Africa. Well thought out designs, decent materials and prices, at least locally. Not sure if they are available internationally.
    Certainly in hand they look better put together than the likes of Fox and cheaper