Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigVaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    430

    Strike one... Need Big Boy Knee pad help.

    I ordered a set of the 2014 Sixsixone Rage's in a XL & they're too damn tight. Of course there's not a LBS in the area that stocks these things, so I had to order from Amazon. Now I get to send them back...

    Without being able to try them on, does anyone have any recommendations on some larger pads? Or pads that are typically cut a little larger?
    Last edited by BigVaz; 05-09-2014 at 12:31 PM.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wizzer16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    257
    I just get a pair of POC pads. I have pretty large legs and they feel a bit tight. I ordered large and they offer an Xl. I'll probably just keep these pads as my legs always get a bit thinner as the season moves on. They do stay in place very well. you should be able to find measurements on manufacturers sites, no?
    count your blessings

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigVaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    430
    i went off the measurements online for the 661's & I thought I would be golden, but they were wayyyyy too tight. i just need some real world info. Some companies are a little more liberal with their measurements than others. I just need to find them. lol
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    218
    nukeproof knee pads from Chain Reaction Cycle, found their size chart to be accurate.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigVaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    430
    So today I head up to the city (Milwaukee) to one of the largest shops in the state & they have ZERO knee pads... Seriously? I couldn't believe it. lol
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigVaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    430
    I was able to try on Fox Launch Pro in L/XL, just as tight as the 661's... Also tried the Launch Pro knee/shin pad in L/XL & the velcro wouldn't strech over my calf...

    Damn these legs... lol
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

  7. #7
    stoked brah
    Reputation: MhzMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    370
    I ordered the POC VPD 2.0 Knee and Elbow guards in XL, figuring they would be tight but doable. I can get the knee guards past my calf (barely) and in place but they a pretty tight when I was just walking around to see how they feel. I think they will be too restrictive to ride in. Thats too bad since I really like the POC's they seem to be manufactured very well. So I looked at the 661 Evo guards in XL and decided i would give them a shot. They should arrive Monday. If they don;t work out, I may try the TLD.
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ 2015 Santa Cruz Nomad C
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigVaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    430
    I'm thinking the tld's or maybe race face in xxl...

    Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    25
    I ordered a pair of POC knee pads and they DO run small. I have to order an XL but their online guide was calling Large. Got lucky because a friend of mine bought them from me so I didn't have to return them.

    Besides that, they feel great!

  10. #10
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVaz View Post
    So today I head up to the city (Milwaukee) to one of the largest shops in the state & they have ZERO knee pads... Seriously? I couldn't believe it. lol
    Probably because there is no riding within 100 miles of MKE that would require kneepads.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigVaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    430

    Re: Strike one... Need Knee pad help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Probably because there is no riding within 100 miles of MKE that would require kneepads.
    Funny, there's a DH park with chair lift on 76th & Loomis (Franklin). It's less than 10 miles from said bike shop....
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

  12. #12
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,781
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVaz View Post
    Funny, there's a DH park with chair lift on 76th & Loomis (Franklin). It's less than 10 miles from said bike shop....
    Again, there is nothing within 100 miles of MKE that warrants knee pads.

    Sorry, but The Rock is not a DH park. Not even close. It may have a chairlift, but that's the only similarity it has to "DH".

    If I can make it down the "mountain" at a good clip on a 100mm HT 29er and I don't have brake fade (or complete failure) it's not DH.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigVaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    430

    Re: Strike one... Need Knee pad help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Again, there is nothing within 100 miles of MKE that warrants knee pads.

    Sorry, but The Rock is not a DH park. Not even close. It may have a chairlift, but that's the only similarity it has to "DH".

    If I can make it down the "mountain" at a good clip on a 100mm HT 29er and I don't have brake fade (or complete failure) it's not DH.
    What in your opinion "warrants" knee pads?
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

  14. #14
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,781
    Steep gradients, big rocks, ladders, big jumps.

    Not lift serviced XC.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigVaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    430

    Re: Strike one... Need Knee pad help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Steep gradients, big rocks, ladders, big jumps.

    Not lift serviced XC.
    Pets in Kenosha would fit your criteria then...

    Granted there's no prolonged DH, there's plenty of hairy drops right by the creek/river sections with plenty of roots/rocks.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

  16. #16
    stoked brah
    Reputation: MhzMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by MhzMonster View Post
    So I looked at the 661 Evo guards in XL and decided i would give them a shot. They should arrive Monday. If they don;t work out, I may try the TLD.
    Received the SixSixOne Evo Guards in today and tried them on before I left for work. They are slightly better than the POC VPD 2.0 guards, and if it came down do it and had no other choice I think once they stretch out they could be wearable for me. So I'll send the POC's back for sure. However I decided to order the RaceFace Ambush Guards to see how they fit, and I like the idea of not having to remove my shoes in order to put them on or take them off. I'll report back and let you know how it goes.
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ 2015 Santa Cruz Nomad C
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigVaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    430

    Re: Strike one... Need Knee pad help.

    Quote Originally Posted by MhzMonster View Post
    Received the SixSixOne Evo Guards in today and tried them on before I left for work. They are slightly better than the POC VPD 2.0 guards, and if it came down do it and had no other choice I think once they stretch out they could be wearable for me. So I'll send the POC's back for sure. However I decided to order the RaceFace Ambush Guards to see how they fit, and I like the idea of not having to remove my shoes in order to put them on or take them off. I'll reported back and let you know how it goes.
    For sure let me know how the race face's fit.

    Did you go with the xxl?
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

  18. #18
    stoked brah
    Reputation: MhzMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVaz View Post
    For sure let me know how the race face's fit.

    Did you go with the xxl?
    Ordered the XL since that was the biggest that was listed on the site that I placed my order. Then I checked RaceFace's site and seen they had XXL listed so I emailed the site and they said they didn't have the XXL in stock but could get them in for me but would be a special order and non refundable. Since the XL were already shipped out I might as well try them and go from there.
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ 2015 Santa Cruz Nomad C
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

Similar Threads

  1. Pedal strike is Killing me!
    By OllieQ in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-25-2013, 01:24 PM
  2. When boulders strike back
    By motorbacon in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 10:03 PM
  3. toe strike! need help or opinion pls...
    By extr3m3 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 02:57 PM
  4. AC & Pedal Strike - Afflicted ?
    By The_Lecht_Rocks in forum Nicolai
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 04-26-2011, 10:13 PM
  5. Pedal Strike on Fixed?
    By Punch and Bebe in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 11:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •