mtbr member
    Jan 2004

"strap on" knee pads?

There are lots of decent kneepads out there (Kyle Straits, Fox Launch Pro, POC, etc) but most seem to be neoprene sleeve-based and require shoe removal. I'm looking for kneepads that wrap on (in case I don't want to wear them for the climb), without having to remove shoes and shin pads to get them on.

It looks like EVO Lite XC knees are designed that way, but they're expensive, and not very protective. If I find a set on sale I'll probably jump on them though.

Does anyone know of other "strap-on/removable" knee pads? (or any webistes with Evo Lite XC knees on sale?)

LightJunction.com
    I've used some Kona ones for awhile (maybe Jacksh*t). Not sure if they're still available, but they worked alright. Plastic plates on the front, 3 Velcro straps on the back.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Just my $.02 -- had a pair of strap-on 661 something-or-others, kinda looked like catcher leg guards. Did the whole put 'em on take 'em off routine. They weren't very comfortable going down the hill either, especially in shorts, which caused me to leave 'em in the truck more often than not.

The great thing about the Kyle Straits (or similar), which I have now, is they are comfortable enough to climb in. Just put them on getting out of the truck and don't worry about it again.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

LightJunction.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Just my $.02 -- had a pair of strap-on 661 something-or-others, kinda looked like catcher leg guards. Did the whole put 'em on take 'em off routine. They weren't very comfortable going down the hill either, especially in shorts, which caused me to leave 'em in the truck more often than not.

The great thing about the Kyle Straits (or similar), which I have now, is they are comfortable enough to climb in. Just put them on getting out of the truck and don't worry about it again.
    Same here. The Velcro really bothered me behind my knees. I usually wound up convincing myself to leave them in the car. I know they're hot, but there's a reason slip-ons have caught on.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

SamIAm
    did you know that you can slide them down on ur shoe/calf and just pedal up like that? only do that on mid day summer rides if it extra hot with no cover. otherwise i wear them all the time.

ive been glad i put them on before the top more than a few times.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

beater
    I have both the 661 evo pads and Fox Launch. The Launch pads are great. The strap system works really well, goes on quickly and easily, and holds in place nicely. They're also comfortable. If you're looking for a strap on hard pad, definitely take a look at them. They get good reviews for a reason. I almost never wear the 661s anymore.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I'm a big fan of my 661 Pro knee/shin guards. I wouldn't recommend riding uphill with them on as I usually wrap them onto my camelbak or I wrap them on my top tube if I'm going on a shorter ride that doesn't require my pack to come with me. Mine have certainly saved my knees on numerous socket-busting impacts. I feel bald catching speed without them on because they've helped so much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Lizardskins knee (only) pads.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Race face
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarsandtears View Post
    Race face
    they make one that straps on?

EDR
    I leave my shoes on when taking off my Kyle Straits. I just turn them around on my leg and the shape allows for the foot to come out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    they make one that straps on?
    2012 ambush

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I leave my shoes on when taking off my Kyle Straits. I just turn them around on my leg and the shape allows for the foot to come out.
    Correct! I do the same thing. Also, this technique helps keep stretching and tearing of the neoprene to a minimum.

mtbr member
    anyone ever use the troy lee design 5400, they look like a good pedal friendly pad but i cant find any reviews on them?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    just picked up a set of Fly Racing Knee/Shin guards from my local moto shop for $16. Strapped them on yesterday and hit the hills. No issues at all and was out riding for a bit over 2 hours. Was nice to be able to unstrap without taking off my shoes. No funny rubbing and no idea how they will do in a crash. I got them to also protect my shins from my Straitline pedals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Correct! I do the same thing. Also, this technique helps keep stretching and tearing of the neoprene to a minimum.
    thanks for the info, but I'm planning to wear shin pads, so it might be tough to pull kneepads on with shinpads on already - that's the main reason I specifically want removable knee pads.

mtbr member
    I use to wear some fox strap on knee pads...I think they were called launch sport knee guards..I wore them when I first started riding...but they would slide if I fell...so they were pretty pointless..I wear the rockgardn ones now.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    +1 on the Kyle Straights. I forget I have them on while riding.

They have soaked up a few moderate bashes nicely as well.