mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Specialized Vice vs. Specialized Tactic vs. Fox Flux vs. 661 Recon

Hey guys. I am looking to buy a new trail helmet and I have found some candidates but I am not sure which one to pick.

Specialized Vice
    Specialized Tactic
    Fox Flux
    661 Recon

The Vice and Tactic are the cheapest of them but I am not sure if they are better or worse than the others. Which helmet would you recommend? I am inclined to buy the Vice since it seems like most helmet for my money.

mtbr member
    I have worn the vice over the last year and just bought a 661 Recon. I found the vice fits my head better and I prefer the single dial adjuster on the back vs the two adjusters on the recon. I finally got the recon to fit the way i want by removing some padding that protects the top of your head. I would recommend trying them on if you can.
    The matte black recon i bought does look pretty sweet

mtbr member
    Bump this, these are my short list for a new helmet as well. The new vice and tactic I tried on at the LBS felt nice.

I've been riding in a 661 Recon for about 2 years now, its ready to be replaced (stinky).
    If certainly by looks the flux/striker/recon are all very similar. To 99% of the buyers the flux and recon are the same helmet by looks alone.

The problem I have is that I don't have a Fox dealer local that I can try on the styker or flux.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

troll
    I'm looking to pass along my new S/M Flux to someone else, if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    I've used the Flux since 2010 & had no problems with it at all. Comfortable & well ventilated. That said, I got a Vice for Christmas. It seems to fit a tad more snug then the Flux, but I haven't had a chance to really get a ride in with it yet.(and probably won't for awhile as I'm using a Smith snowboard helmet when it's this cold out)