Noob
    Jan 2012

Specialized Rime or Expert Shoes?

Trying to decide between these two shoes, both the same price. I currently have the entry level Specialized Sport and was thinking about upgrading. I like that the Expert has the carbon sole (stiffer is better, right?). The Rime has the vibram sole which might be nice for occasional walking. I don't do that much walking but ocassionally need to push it up a hill. What do you folks think?

mtbr member
    I have the 2011 Experts and love them, however I bought before the Rime's were released, and if I were to make the decision today I might go for the Rime's.

There's no right answer, but here's what I'd be considering:

I rarely find the Experts too stiff for walking, and it has a reasonably grippy sole - though lately I've not been doing a ton of hike-a-bike. If my riding included more adventurous climbing, bush-whacking or balancing across log bridges the Rime would be a winner.

The Experts are pretty darned light, that helps when you're pedaling and when you're hiking - shoe weight is to your feet what rotating weight is to tires.

Either shoe looks excellent, please post your thoughts when you've spent a bit of time in whichever you choose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    racing=expert
    adventure=rime

I have the comps (cheaper version of the experts) and they suck to walk over rock outcroppings. no grip at all.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Specialized has deals right now on some of the older shoes. I am a big fan of the Trail 110 since it has some ankle protection. But it looks like a lot of the other models are on closeout too so you should be able to find something provided your size is still in stock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just picked up a pair of the Rimes after my 10+ year old Sidi Dominators gave up the ghost. Not too many rides with the new shoes yet, but for walking on rocks and skinnies (happens more than I want to admit) the softer more aggressive sole is WAY better than the Sidis. So far, I'm very happy with them, time will tell how they hold up.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    I normally use the S-Works carbon soled shoes but I'm gearing up for the TDR and I'm a singlespeeder so the Rimes look super enticing. I might have to go try on a pair today.

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Pick a BICYCLE shoe on how they ride, not walk. Experts. The stiff sole will feel amazing coming from the sport.
    my 2 cents
    Stop reading my signature. Go ride.